KSU knocks off #10 in the nation, Star runs it on page 4

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No, there's absolutely no bias in that paper.

Let's run front page stories about 2 coaches playing today, not news that actually happened.

How silly of me to think a local team knocking off the 10th team in the country would deserve a freaking color picture.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I guess The Star only focus on big-time colleges.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

like #10 in the nation being knocked off?

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: KSU knocks off #10 in the nation, Star runs it on page 4

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:No, there's absolutely no bias in that paper.

Let's run front page stories about 2 coaches playing today, not news that actually happened.

How silly of me to think a local team knocking off the 10th team in the country would deserve a freaking color picture.
a. Kay State is not 'local'. It is out in the middle of nowhereville
b. Kay State is not a Missouri team. That they do not get front page news aside from a conf championship or the like, I really don't see why they should get front page attention.

no brainer.

The KU Star is now in the Jayhawk's back pocket.

Get used to it.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dan....KSU is almost exactly as far from KC and MU is.....sure it's a different state but we all know we are a bi-state metro. You live in KS but I assume you still consider yourself part of the metro, correct?

Many many KSU grads here....probably about as many as MU grads.

You know that should have been on the front page.

The star is usually pretty fair to KSU...all I can assume is the sunday sports section was already made up and somebody was too lazy to change it.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

A. MU is in MISSOURI.....Kay State is in KANSAS, like 2 hrs away. I'm glad KSU grads come to the KC Metro. They should expect to read a lot about Missouri.
B. Olathe is 19 miles from downtown.....so yes, I am a Kansas City Metropolitan
C. The Sunday KU Star sports section was great.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MNU is in KS, should they be in the sports section? How about Olathe news?

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:MNU is in KS, should they be in the sports section? How about Olathe news?
Funny you should mention that....some friends and I at work have discussed this several times.

It wouldn't kill me if MNU didn't get any press from the KU Star. The Olathe News covers them really well. So, I don't rely on the Star to cover MNU...but I DO rely on the Olathe News to do so.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well I believe the Star should cover the range of topics/teams that a large percentage of readers are interested in. This stupid state line stuff is beyond stupid at this point.

Does the P-D only cover MU? Nope they cover Illinois in depth.

This may be one of the most irrational things i've ever heard you talk about on here & I know where it's all coming from....you are jealous KU gets so much coverage. Well, you want that kind of coverage for your alma mater....oh wait, guess not.....then they need to get better and deserve the coverage. Earn the coverage, don't beg for it.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:I know where it's all coming from....you are jealous KU gets so much coverage. Well, you want that kind of coverage for your alma mater....oh wait, guess not.....then they need to get better and deserve the coverage. Earn the coverage, don't beg for it.
I'm not jealous....I'm PISSED that KANSAS is the darling of a MISSOURI newspaper and that it helps perpetuate the notion that Kansas City Friggin' MISSOURI is in KANSAS and that the Jayhawks are the 'home' team and that 1988 is one of Kansas City MISSOURI'S finest sports years right there along with 198frigging5.

That's not jealousy, folks....that's 100% ANGER at the rampant misperception of KC MISSOURI and the posers 30 miles west in KANSAS that claim KC MISSOURI as 'their' hometown and bask in the misperception.

If I were a swearing man, I'd say that's BULLS%#T!

The UNIVERSITY of MISSOURI, the biggest D1 university system in the state should be the priority, not a shotgun rider, for the the second largest MISSOURI city's media.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

2 words. Get better.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:2 words. Get better.
Question: WHY does the in state team have to 'get better' to get the lion's share of press, good or bad, from the in state, major city newspaper and radio stations?

Because the KC media is a bandwagoning lot, that's why. Which only reinforces my argument that KC is a bandwagoning sports town. It's nauseating.

The STL P-D covers 75% MU....the rest is given to SLU and IU. Heck, even SLU is local, so give the P-D credit for 90% MU/SLU and the rest of the pickins to IU.

IU will get some press tomorrow cuz they won their first outright Big11 reg season championship...something Self didn't accomplish while there....in something like 2 or 3 decades.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

StL_Dan wrote:the the second largest MISSOURI city's media.
What does StL have to do with it? :lol:

KState in the middle of nowhereville? The irony of a Moo fan having this opinion is too rich in irony to fully detail.

The Star very well may be biased when it comes to KU/MU in the sports section, but let's make that distinction. If you honestly believe the news coverage of The Star covers KS 'burbs more than KCMO and MO 'burbs, you have never even looked at The Star. I read The Star nearly daily and it is rich in stories, letters, opinons and angles relating to KCMO. At KU we get the Jo Co edition in the readership program, and I will tell you the KCMO coverage is probably 3 to 1 over any Johnson County mentions(we don't get the Neighborhood News inserts). Collison's development reporting alone is almost exclusively KCMO or urban core.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

trailerkid wrote: KState in the middle of nowhereville? The irony of a Moo fan having this opinion is too rich in irony to fully detail.
uh....it's IN Missouri, tk. you know, between two metropolitan areas with combined pops of 5.4 million residents and just north of the state capital. not next to Fort Riley on the way to some exotic locales like Chapman, Russell, Hays, Great Bend or the East Colorado plains as is the case with KSU.
trailerkid wrote:The Star very well may be biased when it comes to KU/MU in the sports section, but let's make that distinction. If you honestly believe the news coverage of The Star covers KS 'burbs more than KCMO and MO 'burbs, you have never even looked at The Star. I read The Star nearly daily and it is rich in stories, letters, opinons and angles relating to KCMO. At KU we get the Jo Co edition in the readership program, and I will tell you the KCMO coverage is probably 3 to 1 over any Johnson County mentions(we don't get the Neighborhood News inserts). Collison's development reporting alone is almost exclusively KCMO or urban core.
I agree. I'm only talkin' sports.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dan the fact that you stick up for P-D's coverage of IU, yet yell about the same thing happening in the star shows your bias.

Get better refers to your athletics and your fans....them demanding more coverage by the Star will result in more coverage.....KU gets coverage because there is readership for it. There obviously isn't as much interest for a team going to the NIT.

KC is no more a bandwagoning town than any other city. Trying to "prove" that the Star's MU coverage is a result of a bandwagoning city is just comical. Sure not as many people are as hardcore as we are and we'd all love to see more but that's just the way the masses are.

trailer is right, outside of sports, the Star covers MO more.

and I'd like to thank you for taking even this topic the way of KU/MU...I can't even get a topic celebrating my boys win over #10 in the country on my own freaking message board w/o some MU/KU fans screwing it up....do you not have 500 other places to air your KU hate?

the fact is, the Star dropped the ball. A story documenting 2 head coaches in a game not even played yet should not get front page billing over a local team that just knocked off #10 in the country (#10 much higher than both team who's coaches were featured on the front page).

For God's sake, run the 'royals and their diets' story on Page 4...give me a damn color photo.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

uh....it's IN Missouri, tk
Seriously Dan, the state line issue, drop it.

The Star covers a metro area that is securely in 2 states and in order to get as many readers as possible, they will and should cover both sides of that state line.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:
uh....it's IN Missouri, tk
Seriously Dan, the state line issue, drop it.

The Star covers a metro area that is securely in 2 states and in order to get as many readers as possible, they will and should cover both sides of that state line.
KC....really....i'm ok with the Star covering both sides of the line.

Just give the IN STATE team the Lion's share and make the OUT OF STATE team a subserviant position of coverage.

That's all I'm askin'.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

maybe if the MU fans would stay in MO it would help the Star's demographics to cover MU more :)

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:maybe if the MU fans would stay in MO it would help the Star's demographics to cover MU more :)
good point
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC wrote:maybe if the MU fans would stay in MO it would help the Star's demographics to cover MU more :)
Yea, trader.