The Crestwood Condos (Treadway Hall)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I see that Treadway Hall, former UMKC midrise dorm, at 5401 Brookside Blvd. will be converted to condos. This is good news since a year or so ago, I believe there was talk of razing it. Today's online Business Journal reports that $15M will be spent to convert it from apartments to approximately 40 condos.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

UMKC

Post by macnw »

I just saw an article the other day about improving UMKC. There have been numerous proposals over the years. Now that the Stowers Institute is in place, as well as improvements to the Brush Creek area, it makes sense to make UMKC a true "urban" university. It would be nice if they decided to make a campus downtown.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Treadway location

Post by missingkc »

Treadway is a rather small apartment building on the east side of Brookside (I'm having trouble seeing the exact location in my mind, but I think it's just east of the old trolley tracks) a few blocks south of the Oak Towers. Much smaller. Dark brick I think. Maybe 6-8 stories. Easy to miss.
KCgridlock

Re: Treadway location

Post by KCgridlock »

missingkc wrote:Treadway is a rather small apartment building on the east side of Brookside (I'm having trouble seeing the exact location in my mind, but I think it's just east of the old trolley tracks) a few blocks south of the Oak Towers. Much smaller. Dark brick I think. Maybe 6-8 stories. Easy to miss.
OK, I know what you are talking about, nice building, has the old trolley stop in the parking lot. I have always liked that building and think it will be a great condo building. The Oaks will always be what they are now, dorms or apartments.

As far as UMKC, I couldn't agree more, thing finally seem to be coming together for them with Stowers, the Brush Creek development etc. One of KC's biggest drawbacks is not having a "major" urban university.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Why did UMKC give up on the building? I know there student population is increasing due to the downtuwn in the economy. Maybe there student population from outside the KC area is decreasing. Especially since the State of Missouri continues to screw the public university system.

BTW. Newly hired President Elson Floyd from Western Michigan University was a great hire. I've read as much as possible about this man and have nothing but great things to say about him. He's the key for the University of Missouri system to increase money from the legislature. Not only that he's a great booster for education from the private sector as well. Diversity will definitely be enhanced which can only benefit UMC, UMKC, UMSL and UMR.
Calling a spade a spade.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Former UMKC dorm slated to become luxury condos
By KEVIN COLLISON
The Kansas City Star

Treadway Hall, a vacant college dormitory in Brookside that opened in 1919 as a hotel, is expected to reopen in 2004 as The Crestwood, a luxury condominium building.

The $15 million project will put the former University of Missouri-Kansas City dorm at 54th Street and Brookside Boulevard back on the tax rolls, Mayor Kay Barnes said Tuesday, and reinforce the neighborhood.

"I lived in this neighborhood for 40 years, and my daughter lives a few blocks away," Barnes said. "I know how important this development is....This is a magnificent neighborhood."

The plan calls for renovating the existing five-story building and adding two floors to create 42 condos. The units are expected to sell for $250,000 to $650,000.

The one- and two-bedroom condos will range from 1,100 to 2,800 square feet. All units will have terraces. Other amenities include 81/2- to 10-foot ceilings, hardwood floors, fireplaces, and marble and granite kitchen surfaces.

It all sounded so good to Sandra Burd that she wrote a check at the news conference to reserve a $270,000 condo on the fifth floor. The first model unit is expected to be ready for review next summer.

Burd, who lives near the Country Club Plaza and owns a country home as well, said she expects to get more for her money at the new development.

"I heard about it recently and heard the architects were doing a great job," she said. "They have fireplaces, terraces, high ceilings -- things you can't get on the Plaza."

The developers are Ralph E. Myers Jr., a co-owner of Mpress LLC with an extensive resume in property development and banking, and architect Fred S. Truog.

Myers described the property as a place where "families who now enjoy these neighborhoods or would like to live in these neighborhoods could have a condominium lifestyle that was not previously available."

The building began as the Brookside Hotel and was reputed to be one of the better family hotels in the city. During World War II, it housed Army Air Corps personnel attending Rockhurst College.

After the war, it again served as a resident hotel. The St. Paul School of Theology acquired it in 1962 and used it as a dormitory. UMKC bought it in 1966.

By the 1990s, the building needed substantial repairs. The $6 million cost of renovation helped university officials decide to close it in 1997.

Myers and Truog have a purchase agreement with UMKC for the property. They hope to close by next spring. The model unit would open in the summer, and full construction would begin in the fall.

The interior of the structure will be removed and rebuilt. The project is not seeking historic preservation or other tax subsidies. There will be significant changes to the exterior.

In addition to the two new floors and the terraces, two new elevator and stair towers will be built. Parking will be provided for 76 cars. Common areas will include a library, a social room, a fitness room and a grill area.

"The exterior of the existing building will remain with its traditional appearance," Myers said, "while the interior may be characterized as a crisp, new, warm, refreshing look, sophisticated but not pretentious."

A temporary sales office will be set up in Bloomsday Books, 301 E. 55th St., in a few weeks, developers said. Prudential Lofts and Condos Realty is the sales agent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calling a spade a spade.
Cryptoglyph
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Cryptoglyph »

Treadway was controlled by UMKC and lay idle as the University was going through - changes.

When the University redid their master plan last year, they wanted to overcome the "UMKC kills our homes" campaign that started what, 15-years ago? In an effort to show their neighbors that they really have changed their point-of-view towards them, they agreed to put the building up for redevelopment.

PS
UMKC will begin construction of their new dorms this summer. The buidling will be on the vacant lot north of their administration building - facing Oak Towers.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I took the shot of the Crestwood Model. This will really liven up the Brookside area.

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

wow, buildilng looks pretty great........however its integration into surrounding area is not too hot (that area infront with the parking could be a great mini park/courtyard connecting to the street), and the fence doesn't help, then again i don't remember how close the building is to the street or what's around it, but it's too bad its surrounded by parking. Anywho, it's a great building though.

(looks like the little man on the left is about to jump. Someone should put Gi Joes trying to talk him down)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Is there a Web site for this project? Or do you have to go through Prudential Lofts to get info?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

there is some info at www.prudentialloftsandcondos.com
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: The Crestwood Condos (Treadway Hall)

Post by beautyfromashes »

Does anyone else think this project is looking horrible?
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

I live a half-block from there so have seen the building quite often, both before and as it is now.  It sort of looks like a cool old brick and stone building that is oozing modern architecture from its roof and corners.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It seems they are covering up all the great architectural details with balconies and glass overhangs and gaudy stucco additions.  How many different colors and textures can one building have?  Schizophrenic.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

they should have torn it down if this is the "solution" to its vacancy.
the materials they are using are terrible, everytime i drive or walk by this building it makes less and less sense...
as of now it would have been better off replaced with an entirely new building...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I think they look kinda neat - but that location SUCKS.

You can walk over to the shops across the streets, but where else?  It's too isolated!  Teh whole point of a condo is to absorb the surrounding areas and use the condo more as a sleeping place/home base.  What can you do w/o driving....if you lived here?

Great neighborhood.  But bad location for a condo.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: I think they look kinda neat - but that location SUCKS.

You can walk over to the shops across the streets, but where else?  It's too isolated!  Teh whole point of a condo is to absorb the surrounding areas and use the condo more as a sleeping place/home base.  What can you do w/o driving....if you lived here?

Great neighborhood.  But bad location for a condo.
i thought this at first, but now i can see how some might like it.  it offers something sort of different - a luxury condo in a quiet neighborhood about a minute from the Plaza.  you can live in brookside without having to worry about the upkeep on an expensive old home.  i assume that there are some people interested in the condo experience that don't necessarily want to live in the midst of the Plaza or downtown. 

besides, aren't there condos in johnson county and up north?  i guess there are lots of folks that want a condo but not an "urban" experience.
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

What can you do w/o driving....if you lived here?
Wow. Too Isolated? In my world you can live without a car in the Crestwood area!
It's a walk to the Plaza, Brookside, 51st & Main, Muddy's, UMKC, the library...
It's on the MAX line...
Talk about the architecture if you want (I like it) but the location is almost perfect. Aixois is across the street!
Get out & get some exercise!
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

If only the majority of peeps in KC thought that way. What a better city.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Pastense wrote: Wow. Too Isolated? In my world you can live without a car in the Crestwood area!
It's a walk to the Plaza, Brookside, 51st & Main, Muddy's, UMKC, the library...
It's on the MAX line...
Talk about the architecture if you want (I like it) but the location is almost perfect. Aixois is across the street!
Get out & get some exercise!
I exercise more than 95% of the population.  My point isn't about "exercise" or "effort" in getting somewhere.  It's about the proximity of all the things that the P&L or the Plaza will bring you.  Or Westport.

I do agree with Chriz tho - some do want a condo in a quiet setting.  I can buy that.  I just think that the best areas of town (the 3 I mentioned) would be far preferable.

And I think some condos on the west side of the Plaza are quiet & secluded anyway.  If I have 500K to burn, I want amenities out my front door.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin