Aladdin--boutique hotel by Holiday Inn

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Aladdin--boutique hotel by Holiday Inn

Post by Chris Stritzel »

im2kull wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:15 pm Kcrag group buy?
Best I can do is $500
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:25 pm
im2kull wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:15 pm Kcrag group buy?
Best I can do is $500
3000 users on the rag, the numbers might work!
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

1.5m for a rag owned gem. Count me in for my $500. Happily!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

MG can put in a Beall's or Menard's and so on at street level! :lol:
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Ross
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

'After latest auction, historic downtown building could reopen as hotel or be converted for apartments'
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... rsion.html
March won't be the Aladdin Hotel's first time going up for auction. In a previous Ten-X auction in July 2021, Wright indicated that it was seeking either a new buyer or a joint venture partner to help reposition the building.

That October, Skyline Investments Inc. of Ontario went under contract, but the sale did not close.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Aladdin is under contract to be turned into 100+ apartments.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Excellent. Grand old building needs some loving and BAP needs some permanent residents.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Hooray!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I took a walk-through of this building last week with the buyer. The vision was also told to me. Very well thought out and I think those who want what’s best for a building will love this. There are some challenges, but nothing is impossible here. The bones are good. There were vagrants in the building, but they weren’t destructive. The place is a time capsule of the last day of hotel operations.

With this and Midland being residential, they sandwich the Muehlebach and make me hope that it’s redeveloped soon.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can't believe how many empty buildings downtown end up having vagrants living in them. Don't the property owners know how many buildings are set on fire by vagrants? One would think they would hire security to check the building daily for break-ins.

Can't they hire someone to live in the building pretty cheap seeing it would give them a place to live for free for an extended period until renovation?

It seems crazy to me that they keep converting buildings into hotels (AC Marriott in the Rialto Building, Hampton Inn in the Gumbel Building, Holiday Inn Express in the Interstate Building, Hotel Indigo in the former KC Costume building), or proposing it (the one proposed for the Palace Clothing Co.), in places so far from the convention center, and yet this building that is in the convention district can't make a go of it.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FangKC wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:39 pm I can't believe how many empty buildings downtown end up having vagrants living in them. Don't the property owners know how many buildings are set on fire by vagrants? One would think they would hire security to check the building daily for break-ins.

Can't they hire someone to live in the building pretty cheap seeing it would give them a place to live for free for an extended period until renovation?

It seems crazy to me that they keep converting buildings into hotels (AC Marriott in the Rialto Building, Hampton Inn in the Gumbel Building, Holiday Inn Express in the Interstate Building, Hotel Indigo in the former KC Costume building), or proposing it (the one proposed for the Palace Clothing Co.), in places so far from the convention center, and yet this building that is in the convention district can't make a go of it.
Would it be legal to have live in care takers? Maybe we should legalize those. Maybe a set rate per x thousand sqft.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:39 pm I can't believe how many empty buildings downtown end up having vagrants living in them. Don't the property owners know how many buildings are set on fire by vagrants? One would think they would hire security to check the building daily for break-ins.

As far as hotel rooms go, the Aladdin has some odd layouts. Bathrooms are very narrow and some rooms are so small for two bed configurations that they played Tetris to fit everything. Two of the three passenger elevators are very small as well. The freight elevator is small for modern hotel usage. As for those other properties you mentioned, I agree. Palace makes the most sense out of the bunch due to its close proximity to Power and Light and T-Mobile Center. Same goes for the Kindler Hotel on the same block.
langosta wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:07 pm Would it be legal to have live in care takers? Maybe we should legalize those. Maybe a set rate per x thousand sqft.
Anything's legal, and possible, as long as a property owner is willing to pay someone to do the work.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Anyone who has stayed in some hotels in Paris will know how small elevators and bathrooms can be there in older buildings.

I don't know why they think they have to squeeze two beds into every hotel room. I've stayed in plenty of hotel rooms with only one bed.

The President Hotel had that problem as well. They just redid the layouts and combined small rooms and bathrooms into larger rooms.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Thanks for those photos. The Aladdin is such a beautiful old building.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I can't imagine any of the walls on the upper floors are historic. Just knock them down and reconfigure the building. Regardless, getting buildings occupied in the loop should be a priority. It is not good how many vacant historic buildings we have, especially when so many of them have brittle terracotta hanging 200' in the air above open sidewalks
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are only two buildings downtown that I'm aware of that have sheep heads adorning them. Aladdin and the Rialto Building at 9th and Grand.