Transportation topics in KC
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by KC0KEK »

Here's the latest on the proposal to make I-70 a toll road:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2004/Feb ... ews001.asp

Does anyone know if one reason that Missouri highways are undefunded is because legislators keep diverting highway revenue (e.g., fuel taxes) into the general fund to cover budget shortfalls? I know that's the case in Kansas.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I am a firm believer in toll roads, but $15.00 sounds a bit steep. Doesn't the federal government pay 90% for interstate highways? You would think since the highway (I70) is already built and no major right-of-way purchase is needed that it could be closer to what the KTA has in the toll price.
It is a good direction to go. I think the trucks should have it stuck to them in cost. They tear the roads up the most.
I44 needs help too.
Gee, according to the article another one of my 2004 predictions may be taking shape! LOL

gil
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by KCPowercat »

$15 is too high......I also think trucks should pay a large % of these fees.

I love the open barrier type of toll roads...they have that on the Florida turnpike around Miami and it works great....a few more stops but with the spreading of electronic tags makes it much easier I think.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by KC0KEK »

What's the toll for driving the Kansas Turnpike from end to end? And how does that distance compare to the 200 miles or so between the outskirts of metro STL and metro KC? That would be one point of comparison.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I think it is about 9.00 for 230+ miles.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by KCPowercat »

$8.15 gets you from outskirts of KC to south of Wichita, by the OK border.

220 miles total....and I think that's outragous when driving to Dallas, etc. (although nobody takes that route, always go through emporia which is free)

http://ksturnpike.com/tolls/cls2.html

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Missouri Toll Roads

Post by dangerboy »

The diversion really something like $25-50 million, while the entire transporation budget is $1 billion less than it needs to be. The diversion issue is a convient scapegoat for cowardly politicians, but it wouldn't make much difference either way.

I-70 wouldn't be a case of just adding toll gates, it would be a complete demolition and replacement of the highway. I think the open access gates are terrible. They create big backups, and are dangerous when you are stopped in the middle of the interstate and someone comes up behind you. Especially with so many tourists and travellers on I-70, most peopel won't have electronic tags.

Good to see that 71 Hwy and a new Paseo Bridge are also on the list. That's the only way we'll money for Paseo any time soon.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by KCPowercat »

I only have experience with them in Florida and they seemed to work very well.....many gates and in and out fast...and florida is full of out of towners.

KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by KCK »

I have a hard time paying to take I-70 from Kansas City to Lawrence. I usually hop on State Ave. and ride it all the way out there for free. I mean come on. $15 for a trip that is that common would suck. I mean if it has to be a toll road $5 is the max I would pay. Its not like Kansas where the majority of people going on the toll road are getting off in Lawrence. I probably would hang out in Lawrence all the time if it wasn't for that stupid expensive highway. Where are our tax dollars even going. They never get tired of hitting us up for more money.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by bahua »

I think it's fine. I just want assurances that the money will go back into the road, or back to the taxpayers.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by dangerboy »

DeadManWalking wrote:I have a hard time paying to take I-70 from Kansas City to Lawrence. I usually hop on State Ave. and ride it all the way out there for free. I mean come on. $15 for a trip that is that common would suck. I mean if it has to be a toll road $5 is the max I would pay. Its not like Kansas where the majority of people going on the toll road are getting off in Lawrence. I probably would hang out in Lawrence all the time if it wasn't for that stupid expensive highway. Where are our tax dollars even going. They never get tired of hitting us up for more money.
Isn't less than $1.50 each way between KC and Lawrence? That seems perfectly reasonable for 50 miles or however far it is. The $15 figure was for the entire 250 miles between KC and St. Louis. That does seem a little high, but we're talking about a billion-plus dollar project.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by staubio »

Bring on the toll roads! There is no more direct way to ensure that those use the road pay to maintain it. Normally I'm a believer of using the economies of scale that come with government, but it is sickening how much public money goes simply to support our bad car habits.

I would hope this would make more people think twice and consider taking the train, bringing people in and out of Union Station.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by GRID »

Tolls suck, as long as they are away from urban areas, I'm fine with them except in a situation like the Paseo Bridge.

Why can't we just fund MoDot properly or the kc metro area counties fund improvements for the area to make sure we get our fair share of state tax money.

Right now MoDot is extremely underfunded having one of the lowest revenue streams and one of the largest and most complex road systems.

And as usally KC get shafted by StL in what money is avaliable. It's not relative to our populations.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by kcmajik »

if they do build the new road...isn't it supposed to be 6 lanes and 80 mph? bring on that baby!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Missouri Toll Roads

Post by dangerboy »

GRID wrote:And as usally KC get shafted by StL in what money is avaliable. It's not relative to our populations.
Actually, it's not so bad anymore. Last year MoDOT reworked their funding formula, and St. Louis lost a big chunk of money to the rural areas. KC stayed at almost the same level.

The total amount is still too low. What we really need to do is transfer many of the local roads back to the counties. Then local governments can decide how much they want to spend, and areas that want better roads can tax themselves for it without waiting for the state to do something. It would be hard to do politically, but that's the reality.