St. Joe loses another business...an institution....

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

This hurts...This is now at least 2 buildings empty at one of the busiest intersections in town (not counting the empties in the mall).

http://www.stjoenews-press.com/Main.asp ... leID=50014
Rev
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Rev »

The whole thing surrounding the closing of this is strange. I'm sure it all boils down to the parent company wanting more money and less hassle out of the restaurants.

Hopefully someone will come in and buy it quickly. It's prime real estate and the place was always packed on weekends.

What other building did you mention being empty? On the belt?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Whatever happened to the Belt Brewing Company? I know it suddenly shut its doors awhile ago. It seems like St. Jo cannot keep an independant, original restaurant to save its life. There certainly are enough fast food and chain options -- perhaps it is reflective as the type of market St. Jo is. Regardless, that was pretty good beer. Did anything go in to replace it or did anyone pick it up and try to make it fly?

I went to school in Maryville and St Jo used to be the destination for shopping trips or dining, but really the options weren't much more diverse than Maryville -- just more chain restaurants. Now that Maryville is getting its own Applebees, students who perceive that as top notch dining won't have to go to St. Jo anymore. I think the fleeing of students when shopping prevented Maryville from building up many options, and we certainly aren't going to be able to carry St. Jo.

St. Jo has so much potential. Downtown has a great deal of historic buildings that are preserved. Maybe its proximity to KC has caused the northland to overshadow it. It just feels like so much more could be done with 80k people.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

This is sad, I ate there once.
Is the Bucket Shop still there, someone told me that they closed some time ago.
St. Joe is a cool city.
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

Ok...Lots of questions....

The other building I'm talking about is the old Amigos, and the old Tire place in the mall parking lot, this doesn't even include the empty Monty Ward building.

Belt Brewery closed a while ago...I heard that it was due to health issues with the owners. An Italian place went in next, but it was only there for about 8 months or so? Went out of business.

Bucket Shop was closed for years I believe, but recently re-opened. Never been there.

The Belt Brewery is a TRAVESTY. That place was nice, and the food and beer was pretty good.

This town SUCKS for choice of Restaurants. If it isn't a steakhouse, mexican, or chinese, or fast food, you're pretty much screwed, in my opinion.

Boudreaux's is about the only joint in town that is a little different and is GOOD. It is downtown. Pricier than your average Applebee's, but very good.

St. Joe has potential to be a great place to live, but I'm just not seeing it yet. When HyVee is one of your most viable options for eating out, you got problems.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Belt Brewing Co..... We (citizens of st joe) drink freaking Milwaukees Best Light... we will not pay for your wussy micro brews.

Ground Round was only an institution to the 1970's burn outs who've been inhabiting the place since, well...the 70's.

Bucket Shop....Poor ownership who (still) can't seem to keep his nose clean.

Boudreaus -- great cajun joint.

Hoof n Horn -- great steak/beef joint.

Galvins -- Great chicken joint.

Frederick Inn - decent food.

barbosa's -- awesome mexican
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

slappy,

I enjoyed the Belt Brew more for the atmosphere and the food than the beer. Not many "nice" places here, and it was one of them.

Where is that chicken joint? Never heard of it?

I've heard the new place, San Jose Steakhouse and Mexican Grille, is not good, but we haven't been there.

Side note: The MBL comment made me laugh, but I would guess that they would rather have Natty Light because it's a Misserah product.. :)
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Galvin's Restaurant (very much like Strouds, perhaps better) is at the FAR SOUTH END of 22nd Street past Spring Garden Middle School. Well worth the trip (20 minutes from where you work on the Belt).
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

If you're not up for chicken, try the pork roast...huge and fantastic...but you can't beat the chicken.
Rev
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Rev »

Slappy's right. If you're looking for a more unique experience, go to Galvin's. It's not far from where you live. Also try the downtown Barbosa's. Both have a different atmosphere than the chain restaurants that plague the town. The last time I was at Barbosa's was in December and their heat wasn't working, so it wasn't the best. It's normally a good place to eat.

Have you tried 36th street Wildcat?
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

Can't believe I've never heard of Galvin's considering I've been going to the H&H since I was like 3...

Been to 36th...Had pretty good luck there.

There was another article in the paper today saying that the Ground Round Building isn't gonna stay empty long, so that is good.

Still trying to get the wife to try out the DT Barbosa's.

Thanks for the tips...
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

WILDCAT NATION wrote: This town SUCKS for choice of Restaurants. If it isn't a steakhouse, mexican, or chinese, or fast food, you're pretty much screwed, in my opinion.
St. Joe restaurant choices sound like the choices in KCK, but then again I love chinese and mexican.
WILDCAT NATION wrote: St. Joe has potential to be a great place to live, but I'm just not seeing it yet. When HyVee is one of your most viable options for eating out, you got problems.
Wow St. Joe has a HyVee, they are officially better than KCK.

Reminds me of last year when Ponderosa in KCK closed. Unlike St. Joe, KCK doesnt have a lot of steakhouses. I bet no one even mentioned that here. The worst thing is that it closed after being completely rebuilt following a horrible fire. After they rebuilt that place was always packed, so Im thinking it closed due to mismanagement, not lack of demand.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

Just got the HyVee last June.

Many of the natives HATE it. They'll stick to their WalMart. (it seems there is an aversion to nice, clean places up here) :wink:

They can have WalMart. I don't have any desire to ever go into one of these WalMart stores up here ever again.
Rev
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Rev »

WILDCAT NATION wrote:Just got the HyVee last June.

Many of the natives HATE it.
Really? I haven't talked to anyone that doesn't love it. The place was packed for weeks when it first opened and has stayed pretty busy since. I've been shopping there twice.

I tend to do my "grocery" shopping at Wal-Mart simply because I can get a wider variety of things. The north belt location isn't really that bad.
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

I wanna work where you work Rev! Most of the folks here don't care for it.

Too $$, according to them...

Knowing the grocery industry, WalHell isn't much cheaper, if at all, and I tend to like customer service. That's why I like HyVee.

By the way, if you haven't tried one of the Sheridan's Frozen Pies, it is a must have as far as sweets go. Got one for V-day over the weekend. Awesome.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

I, too, have not heard any criticizm of Hy-Vee in St. Joe. In fact, the way many people speak of the place, I'm surprised no one has requested a residential component be added to it.

Rev, what's your affiliation in St. Joe. I grew up at Wyatt Park.
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

I want to meet more of the people you guys know. I've met a few that really like it, but I'm tellin' ya, most of the people I work with don't like it one bit...

Slappy, it's the union workers here....
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Get your BUTT to the Chamber and ask about the Young Entrepreneur Network. Ask for Heidi. I would also recommend that you don't say "Slappy the Wang" told me to call you.
Rev
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Rev »

Slappy the Wang wrote:Get your BUTT to the Chamber and ask about the Young Entrepreneur Network. Ask for Heidi. I would also recommend that you don't say "Slappy the Wang" told me to call you.
LOL. I assume you are talking to WN since you mentioned this in another thread. But I'll ask anyway. Who exactly is the Young Entrepreneur Network for? Is it for entrepreneurs or basically anyone interested in business in StJ?
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Rev wrote: LOL. I assume you are talking to WN since you mentioned this in another thread. But I'll ask anyway. Who exactly is the Young Entrepreneur Network for? Is it for entrepreneurs or basically anyone interested in business in StJ?
Actually, it's a program offered thorugh the Chamber to allow young (under age 40) professionals to mingle and get to know one another while discussing biz issues. The word entrepreneur is probably misused.