Post by KCPowercat »

Where is this from measuremycitysdick.com ? Lol

It does suck. Lets hope it changes soon
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Sad...

Post by GRID »

It's called people that follow development. KC people need to see this honestly.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

And by KC people, I don't mean people on this forum. Everybody there thinks KC has a fast growing crowded downtown that doesn't need more construction.

The mentality there drives me nuts. KC needs that downtown stadium more than most know. Just imagine downtown KC today had the P&L district not been built. I mean there is a very good chance that KC would only have seen a few 12 story buildings go up in the last 20 years and not the handful of 20-25 story buildings it has seen go up around the P&L District.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Yeah I'll take the new MLB stadium, south loop cap, streetcar plus all the adjacent development to these.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:55 pm Yeah I'll take the new MLB stadium, south loop cap, streetcar plus all the adjacent development to these.
My point is to those that don't want a downtown stadium which will help get construction going in downtown KC again. Many of these places already have transit, downtown stadiums, etc.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:55 pm Yeah I'll take the new MLB stadium, south loop cap, streetcar plus all the adjacent development to these.
Hopefully all these happen.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:13 pm
Hopefully all these happen.
They're happenin
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Quit voting for people like Bunch
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Who is Bunch? Anti development? I don't follow KC politics anymore. Although it seems like the mayor is trying?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't see how in any way this thread is going to be productive.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:44 pm Who is Bunch? Anti development? I don't follow KC politics anymore. Although it seems like the mayor is trying?
He's far from anti-development. 4th district younger guy and tends to not just do the normal councilperson stuff. Bikes to city hall, fights for bike lanes, he really gets under the skin of a certain demographic.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Sounds like a good guy to have in city hall then.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Reasons why no high rise construction would be quite a few. Is the demand truly there? Unless the construction is for a specific tenant why build speculatively? It seems remote work has taken hold of many businesses downtown. What are the current occupancy rates for the different classes of office space? Occupancy rates for residential? Know many suburban communities have built and finished large apartment complexes with units filling at a fast pace. Yes Cordish has built a few high risers but weren't those built at a slower pace than expected? Of course financing is an important part of any construction and are locals willing to do it or are builders dependent on non-local lenders?
Now the question would be if the Royals do build a residential high rise or two how many NEW residents will they attract as opposed to people moving from a current building?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

There are ten more high rise buildings planned over the next several years but sadly, that pace only gets pushed faster with some kind of help from outside sources. A major employer would be big or snatching up some of the stuff that went to Kansas years ago. Obviously getting people back in office opposed to WFH would also be great.

Austin has hit a major snag and have actually started to see home values decline and rent deals are abundant as they struggle to fill up apartments they built at a frantic pace.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

This was one of Earthling's favorite indicators of office utilization. I still check back into it. Return to office averages plateaued around 50% of 2019 levels 2+years ago. There will be weeks where one day in the week will be north of 75% but that is rare.

Difficult environment to build spec office towers.
DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:40 pm
Austin has hit a major snag and have actually started to see home values decline and rent deals are abundant as they struggle to fill up apartments they built at a frantic pace.

Policy win for the city of Austin and KC should look to them to see what they did to allow for the building of so many apartments in such a short time
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:40 pm Policy win for the city of Austin and KC should look to them to see what they did to allow for the building of so many apartments in such a short time
Every tech firm opened an office there within 6 months of each other, ATX didn't say no or try to get in the way of the development that followed. Same thing happened in Miami.

KC unfortunately missed it's moment with tech, never had a regional ecodev team capable of capitalizing on the momentum. Corporate/tech + talent recruitment remains pitiful and playing field has basically leveled out.

Wrote about it a minute ago: https://www.startlandnews.com/2016/12/b ... rtup-city/
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I don’t disagree with this. I do think the startup scene in KC is not what it was a decade ago. However, KC continues to grow at a healthy rate.

Anyway back to Austin, I was just saying that policies such as ending minimum parking requirements, eliminating single-family zoning and allowing up to three homes on each residential lot have helped encourage development which resulted in a small decrease in housing costs.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:40 pm Austin has hit a major snag and have actually started to see home values decline and rent deals are abundant as they struggle to fill up apartments they built at a frantic pace.
You say this like it is a bad thing…we should be shooting for this
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

GRID wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:24 pm Image
We’ve hit a road block of sorts in terms of new development, but we have a few things getting ready to start. Think 3rd and Grand, City Harvest, 303 Broadway, renovations of some buildings in the West Bottoms (and the pitiful replacement for Weld Wheel), 1818-22 Main, and the Parade Park Redevelopment. That large redevelopment at Independence and Hardesty is moving ahead and we’re hearing talk about the old Federal Reserve and the garage at 8th and Grand becoming housing.

Greater St. Louis (includes Clayton) has no 10-story high-rise under construction. The only high-rise under construction is the Queeny Tower replacement at Barnes Hospital (Central West End, St. Louis City), but if they mentioned it, the green dot would be for the city, not Clayton.

So by these metrics, KC will show up on there soon with 3 high-rises over 10-stories under construction (303 Broadway, City Harvest and 1818-22 Main). Greater St. Louis will have two projects over 20-stories (one in Clayton and one in Downtown West). There could be a third if Albion breaks ground. But for cities of our size, these aren’t bad. We need a ton of smaller projects to advance right now to build up density elsewhere. The high-rises will come at a certain point.