Parade Park

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Parade Park

Post by Cratedigger »

Flaherty & Collins Properties and Twelfth Street Heritage Development Corp. propose a total of 1,065 residences, including different types of units for rent and sale, according to preliminary plans shared with Parade Park Homes residents, viewed by the Kansas City Business Journal.

The residences would be built in three phases and be offered first to existing residents of the historic Black-owned housing cooperative.

The plans hinge on the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development acquiring Parade Park through a March 11 foreclosure sale.
Figured this project deserves its own thread. F&C is doing a tremendous amount of work on this side of town

https://fox4kc.com/business/kcs-parade- ... esidences/
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Parade Park

Post by bspecht »

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

bspecht wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:08 pm Sale was successful. https://twitter.com/MayorLucasKC/status ... 4639212647

bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Well, that's uninspiring. Appreciate the density, but the massing and acres of surface parking are rough for creating a neighborhood.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

bspecht wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:32 pm Well, that's uninspiring. Appreciate the density, but the massing and acres of surface parking are rough for creating a neighborhood.
Agree.

My other concern here involves ownership. Is this all for renters?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:34 pm
bspecht wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:32 pm Well, that's uninspiring. Appreciate the density, but the massing and acres of surface parking are rough for creating a neighborhood.
Agree.

Mix of own and rent
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:13 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:34 pm
Agree.

Mix of own and rent
Thanks. That’s good to hear as I tend to believe that a greater percentage of ownership will lead to greater investing in the community.

I still worry that the design shown here appeals more to renters
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:40 am HUD takes over and installs a Virginia firm to manage Kansas City's troubled Parade Park Homes

[quote]After decades of neglect and decay amid turmoil among the management of one of the country’s oldest Black-owned housing cooperatives, Parade Park Homes has been taken under federal control.
This week, HUD told residents that a Virginia real estate firm, Leumas Residential, LLC, would run the housing cooperative. Leumas has managed other federal housing properties for more than five years.
https://www.kcur.org/news/2022-11-29/hu ... park-homes

The current version of Parade Park did have all ownership through a Co-op, and it still didn't matter. Bad management and maintenance resulted in the community becoming rundown and in some instances unliveable.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

At least the buildings front the street with parking 'hidden' within the block.

What do you expect? Structured parking? That would be way too expensive for this type of development.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I have to admit, I rather like this plan from a first glance. I hope that it comes to fruition...
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

My opinion on the plan is that the designs of the buildings can be improved, but they’re not terrible. These are the first images we’re seeing of the plan and I imagine additional renderings exist showing other buildings up close. I appreciate the fact that 17th Street will return after being gone for decades and Euclid will make a full return between Truman and 18th. Restoring the grid is a great thing. I would swap out some of the surface parking lots for green space. I’d also replace the zigzag building.

No matter what, this is a big improvement over the current situation.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Looks indistinguishable from exteriors of any "luxury" apartments recently developed. The current homes scream Sixties HUD. But could have included some housing more like row homes instead of all apartments. If they are wanting to attract buyers.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:10 am
At least the buildings front the street with parking 'hidden' within the block.

What do you expect? Structured parking? That would be way too expensive for this type of development.
I expected an ounce of creativity, as everyone should for a massive project the City/HUD just handed to the developers at zero land cost. I'll hold off on further critique until more plans are out there. Again, appreciate the density but we can push it to be more if people care to.
moderne wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:46 pm Looks indistinguishable from exteriors of any "luxury" apartments recently developed. The current homes scream Sixties HUD. But could have included some housing more like row homes instead of all apartments. If they are wanting to attract buyers.
Rowhouses would be great to break up the monotonous boxes, increase street presence.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

What happens to the residents during construction?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

There are currently empty units. Demolition will occur in stages and residents will be given an opportunity to move into still standing, empty units.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The developers’ financial model projects rents ranging from around $885 to $1,164 per month in buildings designated for affordable housing. The 535 rental units in “market-rate” buildings are projected to rent for between $1,100 per month for a studio and $2,000 per month for a three-bedroom apartment.
Expected rent information per the star as well as the expected phasing

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 56945.html

Here’s what the colors on the map above mean:
  • Pink: affordable housing
  • Yellow: market-rate housing
  • Blue: buildings with units for purchase
  • Purple: senior affordable housing
  • Green: service-enriched affordable housing
Developers plan to carry out construction in three “phases,” marked with numbers above. The first stage will begin construction this spring, and the units will be ready by the spring of 2028, according to an estimated timeline in planning documents shared with the city. The second phase is scheduled to conclude in 2029, and the third in 2030.
Eight small buildings will contain 60 units for private sale to residents, while the other 12 buildings will be filled with hundreds of rental units — some rented at market rate, and others with lower rents designed to meet the federal government’s low-income housing standards.
Two of the buildings containing rental units will be set aside for specialized housing, including one for seniors and one for “service-enriched” housing, which provides residents access to social services on-site and through referrals.