FAA leaving the gov district for CBD

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

FAA leaving the gov district for CBD

Post by GRID »

I guess the DOT will still be in the building, but the FAA is leaving. That's what I get from the article.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 0#cxrecs_s
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: FAA leaving the gov district for CBD

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Is this in anyway connected to all the noise around them vs. the developers lately?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Both these buildings are in the CBD? Seems positive them having to eat up Commercial space.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:24 pm Both these buildings are in the CBD? Seems positive them having to eat up Commercial space.
I think it’s better to diversify the “government district” with non- government business as well. Hopefully, the replacement for that space won’t be similar to the FAA.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

It doesn’t seem to get talked about much, but it’s incredible how much of a flop the consolidation of government institutions around Ilus W. Davis Park was. They built this big park but so little has relocated along it. There’s enough underutilized or empty land that an entire residential district could fit among all the government stuff
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

A greenspace above a tunnel is going to get so much more use than that waste of a park. I'd be open to ideas at this point, especially if/when ballpark is announced officially.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The 670 park will never have trees the size of Davis Park, as they are growing in the real ground, with space for roots, not in glorified flower pots. Those 2 blocks probably have the cleanest and coolest air in the CBD. It is an oasis. The failure is not the park itself, but that the neighborhood around it. If the north and east parts of the loop had the development levels of the South Loop, it would be a different story. The only real success of the park was the first one: it kept the federal courthouse downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The park could be really revitalized with the EV stadium. Something I never really thought about.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I think Royals mentioned it would be the new de facto spot for tailgaiting