4627 Madison

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

4627 Madison

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Application made to CompassKC today by Block Real Estate and NSPJ for a new building on the parking lot at 4627 Madison. You may recall that this is across the street from the long-planned high-rise by the same development team.

A summary on the Compass application says the building will feature a 4-story, 477-space parking garage and a 10-story, 218-unit apartment building. So I assume this will be 14-stories total. Under the "more info" section of the link, it specifies incentives will be requested and the "other" option was selected, meaning I assume PortKC will be involved in this like they have been at 4711 Belleview and that project in Waldo.

No renderings yet. I do have an old conceptual plan for this parcel created by another architectural firm a number of years ago. Slightly taller height (18-stories) but had less overall units (190). It was a great design. Will be interesting to compare the two.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: 4627 Madison

Post by moderne »

There once were some 3 story walk ups along there, brick and Spanish terra cotta that were torn down at least 30 years ago. Never thought this surface lot would be rebuilt. Residential on the Plaza is premium rare where you do not have to walk up a hill. This is almost the bottom of the hill.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Any reason given for a gigantic garage? Will this project need to replace offixe parking? Maybe a phase two?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

langosta wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:28 pm Any reason given for a gigantic garage? Will this project need to replace offixe parking? Maybe a phase two?
I could see a large garage here aiding in the neighboring office building's needs to the north and maybe result in a smaller garage for 47Madison across the street (granted with the product they're going for there, I doubt that would even be an issue unless that's undergoing a change).
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

There is already a thread on here about this development from 2021.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

That’s not the same project. I call that one the Butterfly. This one (4627) doesn’t have a design yet
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:49 pm
langosta wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:28 pm Any reason given for a gigantic garage? Will this project need to replace offixe parking? Maybe a phase two?
I could see a large garage here aiding in the neighboring office building's needs to the north and maybe result in a smaller garage for 47Madison across the street (granted with the product they're going for there, I doubt that would even be an issue unless that's undergoing a change).
It's interesting that Block is proposing this one after not getting the corner site going for 3 years.

I know that the corner one is supposed to be high-end and they were not in a huge rush. Perhaps they will have shared amenities/parking/etc. since the corner project is on a somewhat smaller/odd shape footprint.

On another note, would love to see Madison/Bellevue/SW Tfwy on a road diet with a cycle track/multi use path of some kind. Would do wonders to livability and walkability throughout the West Plaza area. Add in a nice pedestrian Plaza in the actual plaza plus streecar connectivity on the East side would be fantastic.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:43 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:49 pm
It's interesting that Block is proposing this one after not getting the corner site going for 3 years.

I know that the corner one is supposed to be high-end and they were not in a huge rush. Perhaps they will have shared amenities/parking/etc. since the corner project is on a somewhat smaller/odd shape footprint.
Sunflower Development Group still owns the 4627 Madison parcel. I was told that they'll be a partner in this, likely meaning that it can be fast tracked.
On another note, would love to see Madison/Bellevue/SW Tfwy on a road diet with a cycle track/multi use path of some kind. Would do wonders to livability and walkability throughout the West Plaza area. Add in a nice pedestrian Plaza in the actual plaza plus streecar connectivity on the East side would be fantastic.
I agree. That whole street situation over there is a mess. I've walked on Belleview and Madison, but don't have the guts to walk on Southwest Trafficway. These streets need an overhaul and hopefully the new developments over there lead to the overhaul.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I was totally wrong about this being 14-stories. The answer why there's so much parking: the garage on Summit Street will be demolished for this. It's entirely different than a past plan that I've seen. I don't hate this plan since it adds more housing and does away with a garage, but I'm also not saying it's perfect.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Plaza bowl gone wrong. Something taller here would add to the bowl effect more then this
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

If you guys vote for me for emperor of Kansas City-State, I vow to ban anyone from ever using the phrase "plaza bowl" again.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Need to take the garage entrances off of Madison. Entry from Summit should be sufficient. We will never tame the SW Trfwy/Madison/Belleview hellscape by continue to put garage entrances onto it.

And FFS, people, no ATM drive thrus in the City. Cmon.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

smh wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:18 am And FFS, people, no ATM drive thrus in the City. Cmon.
But, it’s my money and I want it now! Must drive to get my money so I can act like Scrooge McDuck back at home.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:46 am
smh wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:18 am And FFS, people, no ATM drive thrus in the City. Cmon.
But, it’s my money and I want it now! Must drive to get my money so I can act like Scrooge McDuck back at home.
Haha exactly. If I get out of my car I might have to walk.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Project will be in front of NPD on 1/24. https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... 7C&Search=
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Passed NPD, Council tomorrow. Historic KC asked that "Plaza Bowl prohibited uses don't creep onto the site" + spoke in support of housing! (and took themselves very seriously) Plaza/Westport neighborhood "appreciative, non-opposition." Doug Stone presenting for client (Swords/Sunflower), always an entertainment. Bunch asked for a better ground level, still supported.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Personally I’m rooting for more “plaza bowl prohibited uses” to creep into the plaza bowl
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Those units facing into the small "courtyard" light well would be grim. Also strangely shaped units just so they can grab a narrow piece of sky.