Murphy Beds

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Murphy Beds

Post by moderne »

Just a shout out to anyone considering installing a murphy bed. Friends had one installed several years ago in the guest room of their condo. Recently with someone lounging on the bed the box frame on wall that the bed recesses into in the up position fell out of the wall. The frame cut into the person's leg above the ankle down to the bone requiring may dozens of stitches. After the ambulance left they had to leave the room as is blood and all until a photographer took photos. The frame was only attached to the wall by 2 nails driven only into the sheet rock. They are filing suit against California Closets.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Murphy Beds

Post by DaveKCMO »

Wow. We almost installed one of those in my husband's studio at the Metropolitan. We were too lazy and the mechanism just sat in a box until he moved. They're so tempting though!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We have one in our guest room. Game changer for the 51 weeks a year we don't have a houseguest.

Along with being attached to the wall framing with 3 inch screws, it's design makes what you described impossible to happen, thank goodness.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

moderne wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:59 pm The frame was only attached to the wall by 2 nails driven only into the sheet rock. They are filing suit against California Closets.
That's a user error and installation problem. The frame is always supposed to be attached securely into the wall studs, in multiple spots. Not into sheet rock. Otherwise it is exactly what your friend found it to be.. a giant human mousetrap. They can want to file a lawsuit all they want, but unlikely any attorney would subject themselves to the risk of a frivolous lawsuit like this would be. It would be immediately dismissed if filed.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Yep, kull is right, it sounds like a very poor install. There should have been multiple screws, not nails, going into wall stud, not just gypsum.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm curious why this would be frivolous. They, apparently, hired a contractor (had one installed) to do a job that was then done incorrectly and indeed dangerously, that subsequently caused harm. What about that is frivolous? No idea if CC is the right defendant, but unless they installed it incorrectly themselves by disregarding documentation or being ignorant, it seems like SOMEONE should be liable?

At least that's how I read it.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Clearly, the contractor is to blame. But a lawyer in a case like this will sue everyone imaginable. I suspect the logic is that CC will point to the directions, which almost certainly specify correct installation. That way, the blame goes directly to the installer, who did not follow directions.

I'm a big fan of murphy beds. Only an incompetent and ignorant contractor would do something like that and they should go to jail. A tragic situation for the guests and hosts, for sure.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Guess I should have been clear. California Closet sold and installed the bed.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Oh, then they should sue the shit out of them lol.