OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by GRID »

That portion of I-35 was not designed and built to be an interstate. It was a local expressway before the interstate system was a thing. I-35 later came in from Kansas and tapped into the SW Trafficway and used it as the interstate. Same with the west and north loops. The North Loop was originally the crosstown expressway or something like that which basically tied independence Ave to downtown KCK via the Lewis and Clark expressway.

The interstate system was born and these route segments were just renamed.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Looks like the Western Auto Building isn’t the only thing in downtown KC with some lights out
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

*sorry for the poor quality. But one of the spokes is out & The top bar was flickering white on and off when everything else on the wheel was red
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The wheel opens in November.
https://ingrams.com/article/kc-wheel-to ... -november/

Some details on the mini-golf and "wheel house" that'll be part of this...
https://www.newsbreak.com/kansas-city-m ... ttractions
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The power lines came down recently.

Next up, the billboards that litter the highways should be taken down. They ruin what is otherwise an interesting photo.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:44 pm The power lines came down recently.

Next up, the billboards that litter the highways should be taken down. They ruin what is otherwise an interesting photo.
I wonder if there is anything the city can do to remove those giant billboards on I-35?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I agree it would be nice to have those billboards gone but can you imagine if you’re the owner and you’re forced to shut down over a Ferris wheel?!

I have no problem with the city using eminent domain when the reason is for a better and greater cause. Say for example a new baseball stadium.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

GRID wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:44 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:44 pm The power lines came down recently.

I wonder if there is anything the city can do to remove those giant billboards on I-35?
Probably not in the short term.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:49 am I agree it would be nice to have those billboards gone but can you imagine if you’re the owner and you’re forced to shut down over a Ferris wheel?!

I have no problem with the city using eminent domain when the reason is for a better and greater cause. Say for example a new baseball stadium.
Those billboards have always been a nuisance. They ruin the view of the city from the KC Scout and from other views from the southwest. I have tried editing them out of photos, but they are huge.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

GRID wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:44 pm

Billboards have been illegal in KCMO for like a decade but those have been grandfathered in. They have been making deals where a company can put up a digital billboard if they remove multiple others.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The wheel in KC may be short, but look at Houston's haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fMTaNYYvwE&t=675s
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:22 pm The wheel in KC may be short, but look at Houston's haha

LOL. Listen on and there is a discussion of Houston tearing more of their urban core out to widen highways. Typical of that city.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:45 am
GRID wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:22 pm The wheel in KC may be short, but look at Houston's haha

LOL. Listen on and there is a discussion of Houston tearing more of their urban core out to widen highways. Typical of that city.
The city doesn't want it but TxDOT is pushing it through. Harris County even filed a federal lawsuit against TxDOT in 2021 over the project. $9 billion dollars straight through urban Houston and will begin next year.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:51 am
Highlander wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:45 am

The city doesn't want it but TxDOT is pushing it through. Harris County even filed a federal lawsuit against TxDOT in 2021 over the project. $9 billion dollars straight through urban Houston and will begin next year.

Happy I no longer live there. The city has a long history of supporting highway expansion and ignoring other (and better) alternatives. Seems like they may finally be wising up but, again, to no avail.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

State DOTs have to be some of the most malignant institutions in the country. Imagine regularly demolishing parts of your own country’s cities and not realizing you’re the bad guys
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:43 am State DOTs have to be some of the most malignant institutions in the country. Imagine regularly demolishing parts of your own country’s cities and not realizing you’re the bad guys
A smaller scale but KC's own recent DOT idiocy.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1082779 ... ?entry=ttu
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:32 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:43 am State DOTs have to be some of the most malignant institutions in the country. Imagine regularly demolishing parts of your own country’s cities and not realizing you’re the bad guys
A smaller scale but KC's own recent DOT idiocy.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1082779 ... ?entry=ttu
Very true. KCMO and MoDOt are still pretty stuck in the 60's when it comes to urban planning.

But good god Houston sucks. Outside the Buffalo Bayou recreational area and having some decent food, the city is just terrible on every level. Everything is just huge roads, everybody drives a freaking pickup truck and the suburban sprawl (much of which has become decaying blight) is endless. I have no idea what people see in that city.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Never underestimate the influence of unions, the real estate, engineering, and construction industry lobbies on state legislators, political parties, and political leaders. They are big funders of campaigns. Big highway projects benefit them and are job creators.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

From the Lumi Neon Museum thread...
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:54 pm Image

This is so much better than an empty, industrial lot

Tentative timeline mentioned in the Star article:
No exact dates have been announced, but Bryant laid out a tentative timeline.

In 2023, aiming to open before the end of the year: The KC Wheel at Pennway (Ferris is trademarked) perhaps before Thanksgiving; a snacks and beverage area; Pennway Putt mini-golf course.

The first 40 or so signs of the Lumi Neon Museum could be lit as early as spring. Bryant said that over the next 12 months the “recreation/ hospitality” area will be built in several phases.

TaleGate Park is planned as a 30,000-square-foot indoor/outdoor venue created in and around the former Funkouser Machinery Co. depot building. It is to house an upscale burger and steak restaurant, Beef & Bottle. Upstairs will be Funk House, a sports lounge that includes five “sky boxes” with views of TaleGate’s indoor stage and TaleGate Garden, with outdoor games.

Barrel Hall is to be located just to the south, inside the 6,000-square-foot former Pennway Oil Co. building with its wood-barreled roof. Inside will be a Boulevard Brewery Taproom, Chef J. BBQ, The Bull Creek Distillery, and Würstl (a Viennese sausage stand).

A taqueria is planned near the Ferris wheel, next to an outdoor beach volleyball area.

In 2025, Bryant said, the former four-story Carter-Waters Co., building at 2440 W. Pennway will house retail and office space. A newly built boutique hotel at 25th Street and Pennway is envisioned for late 2025 or early 2026.
I'm looking forward to the Boutique Hotel component being revealed. It should tie everything together nicely. This project has a lot of cool things in it.