OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:26 pm My biggest fear is this project ends up being a ferris wheel and that's it. This developer seems to have several projects that never complete or stay in limbo for years. The former Kansas City Star Building was purchased 5 years ago and as far as I know, it's still empty.

I'm guessing ICON doesn't sell these ferris wheels but do some kind of revenue share or simply lease the space and operate it independently. So it's possible this Ferris Wheel is the only reason to go here for months and months.
ICON is an owner/operator. IIRC, the developer mentioned deciding between Chance Rides or a European builder.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:26 pm My biggest fear is this project ends up being a ferris wheel and that's it. This developer seems to have several projects that never complete or stay in limbo for years. The former Kansas City Star Building was purchased 5 years ago and as far as I know, it's still empty.

I'm guessing ICON doesn't sell these ferris wheels but do some kind of revenue share or simply lease the space and operate it independently. So it's possible this Ferris Wheel is the only reason to go here for months and months.
I've talked to a few people interested in leasing the office portion of this site. And the entertainment/restaurants are already lined up. If you haven't tried Chef J in West Bottoms, be sure to check it out here.

It will be built out beyond the Ferris Wheel on day 1
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No banks?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:45 amNo banks?
Jesus what’s your deal? I promise you if a bank hits up Vince Bryant to lease any space he has, he’s taking it but nah, the star building project is without a single tenant after 5 years but CoRDiSH SuCKS!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:07 pm

I've talked to a few people interested in leasing the office portion of this site. And the entertainment/restaurants are already lined up. If you haven't tried Chef J in West Bottoms, be sure to check it out here.

It will be built out beyond the Ferris Wheel on day 1
That’s awesome but here’s what concerns me. I know of 3 situations where plans were made to build out concepts and or office that never happened.

Two bar/restaurant concepts in the star building that even started basic demo. Than died.

One office is the star building that a lease was signed but developer couldn’t get funding to do the build out. Developer is currently paying for that company to lease temporarily space why he figured it out.

I hope there’s more momentum for this project but the past history has me cautious.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:19 am Do they plan on burying the power lines along 25th?
Yes
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:15 am
Jesus what’s your deal? I promise you if a bank hits up Vince Bryant to lease any space he has, he’s taking it but nah, the star building project is without a single tenant after 5 years but CoRDiSH SuCKS!
I didn't say cordish one time. I'm a staunch banks suck in crossroads anywhere downtown poster. I literally posted how sad it is grand place got bok.

It's really not all about cordish on this forum. We existed before cordish was even a term here. I'll again reiterate I love cordish and glad they are here. Doesn't mean they can't be questioned given their stake and impact downtown.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I have faith the other components of the development will be built here; they have well-known and trusted players committed on the F&B side and the Neon Museum is also a lock.

That said, I do think it will be unfortunate if they open the Wheel to the public before the development is at or near full build-out. Would make for a very underwhelming first impression/destination unless it functions as a beacon for the rest of the fun stuff there, as was no-doubt intended.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Is there an anticipated date for the illumination of the wheel?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:41 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:15 am
I didn't say cordish one time. I'm a staunch banks suck in crossroads anywhere downtown poster. I literally posted how sad it is grand place got bok.

It's really not all about cordish on this forum. We existed before cordish was even a term here. I'll again reiterate I love cordish and glad they are here. Doesn't mean they can't be questioned given their stake and impact downtown.
I mean come on... This isn't a coincidence that you were just complaining about Three Light locking up a bank as a tenant and in here you mention banks again. It's for sure not all about them on this forum but they're the one developer people like to be the most critical about on here, so they're discussed the most. I'm not buying the "we existed" before if you're referring to downtown. I guess yes, technically speaking, KC did have a downtown before all the development started by several different developers but it wasn't anything worth bragging about and it wasn't a destination unless you were wig shopping.

Anyway, back on topic. I to hope they get this place built-out before opening the wheel. I know they've got some good tenants planned but if the build out is supposed to be financed and managed by the developer, this could take a long time.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

"We" is this site.
neurosyphilis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by neurosyphilis »

I never expected so many people to be so obsessed with the diameter of a Ferris wheel.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

neurosyphilis wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:22 am I never expected so many people to be so obsessed with the diameter of a Ferris wheel.
The hate it’s getting on social media is insane. KC can’t even privately find a Ferris wheel without all the, “this money could have went to a better cause”.

We will always have road issues. We will always have crime. We will always have homelessness and we will always have people who think you should be able to live next to the most popular downtown areas for $350 a month.
neurosyphilis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by neurosyphilis »

People on social media are acting like the local government of Kansas City was given the option of a having Ferris wheel. The only correct size was either "as large as possible" or just "larger than the Ferris wheel in [CITY]." The only correct location was either directly in downtown because it MUST be part of the downtown skyline or at the highest point possible to give the best view of the downtown skyline. Utterly bizarre.
neurosyphilis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by neurosyphilis »

BEHOLD

Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

AWESOME! UP YOURS ST LOUIS!
Last edited by Jblanco on Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I wonder if one like that is even possible.
neurosyphilis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by neurosyphilis »

Good people of Kansas City:

On behalf of the development team I would like to apologize for the prior proposal of a 900' Ferris wheel. We have heard your voices and your feedback is important to us. The small size was insulting and did not offer adequate views or sufficiently contribute to downtown's vibrant skyline. We look forward to hearing the community's thoughts on our newest proposal.

Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

neurosyphilis wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:13 pm Image
THE BEST! UP YOURS NEW YORK! AND LONDON!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why can't it be both a Ferris wheel and a wind turbine? :lol: