New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by GRID »

Okay, maybe it's time to take a break from all this. The new arrowhead is underwhelming at best. I thought they would do something decent with the area where Kauffman is.

The downtown Royals stadium is hated by so many and yet I don't even see it living up to its renderings. I mean where is the money for the 670 cap going to come from? The Bridge over the park? The high-rises on Oak? Is any of that going to happen? Is that stadium just going to have the At&t longlines building towering over the outfield? I mean this again a city that could not even find a way to put up a decent new Broadway Bridge.

The womens soccer stadium is kind of a mess. They need to fast track development around that stadium to get parking structures built (everybody can't take the streetcar). Will any of that even be built in a reasonable time frame? At least they might be able to light up the Bond Bridge again in a few years.

Why is the state of Missouri not doing more to make these projects more viable? Any other stadium project in the country gets so much more help from their state than KC does.

I guess it's time to take a break from trying to get people in KC to understand there is parking downtown and see if this vote even passes and I'm starting to wonder myself if it should with both teams lacking in so many details.

I guess getting the Royals downtown is the top priority even if the stadium doesn't come with all the extras in the renderings. And then hope maybe the rest will work itself out.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dnweava wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:33 pm I'm most excited about the parking lot upgrades. The parking situation has been hell on earth in recent years. Took me almost 2 hours to leave the stadium and get on the highway after the game I went to this season.
I agree on keeping the bowl of Arrowhead. I just hope the renovations are extensive enough to not look like another band-aid slapped on aging concrete. I was hoping for a much more extensive exterior renovation while keeping the bowl. Something like Buffalo's new stadium, IDK. But just tossing a little gazebo out there and calling it a fan fest? Come on.

As far as parking. Not sure how this helps people get out of the parking lots. How would it not take 2 hours for 70,000 people to leave at the same time from the same general area all going to a couple of highway interchanges? I have a feeling you may be disappointed that you won't be able to leave any quicker.

That's the advantage of urban stadiums. Unless you are in a very close garage that has mass exit issues, it's so much easier to leave events when you have people leaving from dozens of different parking venues and going in a hundred different directions to leave the city vs all trying to get to Raytown Rd / I-435 and Blue Ridge / I-70. I'm not saying an NFL stadium belongs downtown, but it would not take any longer to leave that's for sure.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:37 pm Okay, maybe it's time to take a break from all this. The new arrowhead is underwhelming at best. I thought they would do something decent with the area where Kauffman is.

The downtown Royals stadium is hated by so many and yet I don't even see it living up to its renderings. I mean where is the money for the 670 cap going to come from? The Bridge over the park? The high-rises on Oak? Is any of that going to happen? Is that stadium just going to have the At&t longlines building towering over the outfield? I mean this again a city that could not even find a way to put up a decent new Broadway Bridge.

The womens soccer stadium is kind of a mess. They need to fast track development around that stadium to get parking structures built (everybody can't take the streetcar). Will any of that even be built in a reasonable time frame? At least they might be able to light up the Bond Bridge again in a few years.

Why is the state of Missouri not doing more to make these projects more viable? Any other stadium project in the country gets so much more help from their state than KC does.

I guess it's time to take a break from trying to get people in KC to understand there is parking downtown and see if this vote even passes and I'm starting to wonder myself if it should with both teams lacking in so many details.

I guess getting the Royals downtown is the top priority even if the stadium doesn't come with all the extras in the renderings. And then hope maybe the rest will work itself out.
No offense but you are taking things people are excited about from a new project perspective and only highlighting the negatives like a debbie downer.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:46 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:37 pm Okay, maybe it's time to take a break from all this. The new arrowhead is underwhelming at best. I thought they would do something decent with the area where Kauffman is.

No offense but you are taking things people are excited about from a new project perspective and only highlighting the negatives like a debbie downer.
No. Losing totally nude and U-Haul is being a downer. Not having a real plan to build what they have in the renderings is being realistic.

IDK, just tired of KC being so damn cheap and bare bones on everything. And while the renderings look nice for the Royals do you honestly think it will turn out like that? Why is the state and Modot not part of the deal saying they will make sure the cap happens etc.

Like I said, get them downtown and out of Kauffman. Worry about the rest later.

As far as Arrowhead, it's fine I guess. I just wish more could be done with the area where Kauffman is now and again I wish more could be done with the area maybe again with state help etc.

And I think I have a valid concern as far as how long development takes in KC and still wonder if anything gets built around the Current stadium that is not just more 4-5 story suburban complexes. I'm losing hope that KC is still just barely getting by and not really getting ahead. But I have always been that way and I know you hate that lol.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:56 pm I'm losing hope that KC is still just barely getting by and not really getting ahead. But I have always been that way and I know you hate that lol.
Hard to build an urban environment when all the people that want it move to Portland or Brooklyn.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:56 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:46 pm

As far as Arrowhead, it's fine I guess. I just wish more could be done with the area where Kauffman is now and again I wish more could be done with the area maybe again with state help etc.
Sticking with Arrowhead. Yeah I expected more but I think it's pretty clear they want to do enough to get Arrowhead workable for next couple decades then move on. Which the no voter may jump on that being shortsighted and maybe they are right.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

A forty year tax for another 20 year renovation?

Nothing makes sense to me anymore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:07 pm A forty year tax for another 20 year renovation?

Nothing makes sense to me anymore.
Those are my years/terms BTW. Although I do think I heard Clark say a 25 year lease but maybe that's after the current lease so that maybe gets to the 40 year tax???
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I was basing that off my personal opinion that this renovation won't last 25 years. No way in hell. What renovation of any pro stadium has lasted longer than 25 years? Long before the tax expires and probably before their lease is up, they will be asking for another major renovation, but likely a new stadium.

If people think spending nearly a billion dollars to get halfway through the tax is okay then I guess it's okay.

I'm okay with it if it gets the Royals downtown. But it's going to still be a fight to get that stadium done right too.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The question eventually becomes do you want to do it or not? The chiefs and the hunts are cash flow positive enough to build whatever they want.

They prefer to take money out of the club and be rich.

There are a limited amount of football franchises, so we kinda do what they say within reason.

Do we do it or not?
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Talk about a dramatic bunch today. Seems like a solid renovation to me. Everything they're doing is functional to the gameday/concert experience. Sorry they didn't introduce some wild design element to make it "pop." A lot of complaining without offering features they actually would have wanted.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Some might dislike the plans the Chiefs came up with, but if you’re a diehard fan who didn’t want to see Arrowhead changed all that much because of the “historic value” of it, this is the best case scenario.

Avid fans are getting more parking spaces and a dedicated zone for tailgating. In the eyes of those who attend games outside of suites, this is a great deal. My boss is one who’s excited for the enhancements.

I’m disappointed we aren’t getting a mixed-use component to this, but I’m never going to say “never” to that one. The Hunts have other things in mind from what I’ve been told on that front.

Generally, the conceptual renderings show a tasteful renovation that preserves what diehard fans of the Chiefs love about Arrowhead. The one thing I wish they’d go harder on is more landscaping. With such a large, and expanded, sea of parking, be generous with landscaping.

Whether this will be enough to carry the vote over the finish line remains to be seen, but lots of people I follow and know who are avid fans and part of “Chiefs Kingdom” till they die, they’re super happy about this. I imagine this is the case for a lot of other potential voters.

In terms of expectations, this met my expectations.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah it didn't have an sexy element to it which after seeing a new stadium out of the royals from the same vote, was the disappointment I think for many.

Sitting back and thinking through it, it seems about right and probably should have been the expectations.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Did they clarify if that 25 years starts now, or starts in 2031? Locking the Chiefs there until 2049 or 2056?

It sounds like from the ballot language the 40 years tax extension starts the clock over this year, so running through 2064. Even best case scenario, that's a 8 year gap between 2056 and 2064 where the Chiefs could leave 8 (or 15?) years before the tax expires. So if they can move out 15 years before the tax ends, that means they will be bringing up a new tax/stadium deal 20 years before this expires, that's insane. On the one hand, I really want downtown baseball and arrowhead saved, but this deal is very sketchy and I understand the pushback against it. It doesn't feel like today's announcement is winning people over .
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I think this proves that there is never an opportunity where the TSC will generate additional development. Otherwise, there’d be a hotel as part of this renovation, or retail. This is a bandaid for another 20 years to get by until negotiations start for a full rebuild, and I’m fine with that.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

$800 million dollars. While some of the amenities (360 mostly covered upper concourse, additional entrances, quicker concessions lines, etc.) are warranted, it feels like a lot of this is about prepping Arrowhead and the reimagined parking area to hold more concerts and other revenue generating events.
A parking deck? Unless it's VIP with segregated entry/exit who in the world would want to navigate a parking deck when leaving? And did anyone else notice they're claiming a capacity of at least 70,000? That means the new suites could effectively reduce the capacity, resulting in higher demand and higher prices for tickets for the 'regular' fans.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kcjak wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:52 pm
A parking deck? Unless it's VIP with segregated entry/exit who in the world would want to navigate a parking deck when leaving? And did anyone else notice they're claiming a capacity of at least 70,000? That means the new suites could effectively reduce the capacity, resulting in higher demand and higher prices for tickets for the 'regular' fans.
It's a one level deck and the lower level was for player parking, away buses, vip and does have separate stadium entrance.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:50 am I was ready to vote yes despite my misgivings about Oak being closed, but this has flipped me to no. Public money to upgrade the most expensive and exclusive parts of the stadium, while the rest of us get covered walkways? No thanks.
The chiefs will cover those portions while the tax payer will cover the aspects everyone can utilize.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I guess what did you guys expect? They're never going to turn that parking area into anything.

I was just impressed they didn't make people taking rideshares crawl through an obstacle course to enter.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

You know the most efficient way to pass this vote would literally just be for the Chiefs to say "we're leaving if this fails"