KU/KCK <-----> TSC East/West Transit

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: KU/KCK <-----> TSC East/West Transit

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:12 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:57 pm Why are they running it on Main in that N/S section rather than Broadway or Troost or something? Cost savings? That section of Broadway could really benefit from fixed rail. Same with Troost.
This was asked in the meeting. Emphasis was on #1 but I'm sure #2 plays a part

1. Operationally efficiency
1b. Ease of transfers
1c. Travel time from 39th corridor to the south
2. Cost Savings
Well if they go this route, it should include upgrading at least that stretch of Main into dedicated right of way for the streetcars. And I would assume they would also make the Armour stop platforms longer like the Plaza stop to accommodate two streetcars.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:13 am
GRID wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:57 pm Why are they running it on Main in that N/S section rather than Broadway or Troost or something? Cost savings? That section of Broadway could really benefit from fixed rail. Same with Troost.

1b. Ease of transfers
2. Cost Savings
Well if they go this route, it should include upgrading at least that stretch of Main into dedicated right of way for the streetcars. And I would assume they would also make the Armour stop platforms longer like the Plaza stop to accommodate two streetcars.
I think upgrades for more passengers yes but you wouldn't have two vehicles there at once. The plan would take advantage of the exiting infrastructure so no rebuild as center running on main. Something else mentioned is that E/W could be phased. 39th only or Linwood only might happen for example.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:32 am
GRID wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:13 am

1b. Ease of transfers
2. Cost Savings
I think upgrades for more passengers yes but you wouldn't have two vehicles there at once. The plan would take advantage of the exiting infrastructure so no rebuild as center running on main. Something else mentioned is that E/W could be phased. 39th only or Linwood only might happen for example.
Well I figured they would not move to center running. Hell, it would be cheaper to just build a new line on Broadway than do that. That ship has sailed.

I was just saying that taking cars off the lane the streetcars use so they can free flow through there and not get bunched up or slowed in traffic. And yea, just make the platforms more robust and more like a rail stop and less like a bus stop. I get it though. All this cost money.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCDowntown wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:25 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:24 pm *- The Gillham stop should be removed and the Linwood and Main stop be shifted eastward a little bit so you don't create another stop on Main 2 blocks from 31st. The other stops I mentioned are already close to KUMed and Clark, Troost, and Prospect.
The building stock around the Gillham stop makes this a very attractive stop to me. This area has been getting more and more active, and will only get more so with the addition of the Levy and the Aines Dairy Lofts. I think the stop here makes a lot of sense.

KCDowntown
I agree that removing the Gillham stop would be a big mistake. That would create too big of a gap between Main and Troost, and the Tower East area would be pretty far from a stop. I think that area has some of the most potential for development along this line.

If you are looking to remove stops, I might start with Paseo, and move the Brooklyn stop somewhere just W of 71. Broadway could be moved to SW Tfwy and the Clark and Wyoming stops combined.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

31 st is narrow, Linwood is wide. Might that make Linwood more of a candidate for center running?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:48 am 31 st is narrow, Linwood is wide. Might that make Linwood more of a candidate for center running?
There will be a center-running conversation!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:42 pm
moderne wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:48 am 31 st is narrow, Linwood is wide. Might that make Linwood more of a candidate for center running?
Center running is the option I voted for!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:01 pm
+1!
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

The one caveat I gave on my preference for 31st given the built environment was that Linwood would be be a better platform for a higher speed, higher capacity line. I hammered that point in all the feedback I provided throughout the process and I know others on this board id as well. Thrilled to hear there will be a real conversation about center running!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

langosta wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:01 pm
wish the KUMED end could launch a push for JoCo rail. Would be amazing if this 6-mile line was a piece of a broader 15-30 miles of projects in KCMO and elsewhere. Would really hit some economies of scale.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Oh, jeez. Could you imagine three counties, two states and ten cities coordinating a transit route?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:17 pm Oh, jeez. Could you imagine three counties, two states and ten cities coordinating a transit route?
I was thinking more Independence Ave, east/west, South KC, North KC.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The website says estimated opening in 2032 if everything goes to plan.

We can do better. We need better. We deserve better.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

That's not too far away considering all the hoops this will jump through (funding, engineering, environmental, final approval, construction and testing).
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

As projects like this start to become more frequent and common across the region and the US we need to develop better processes and lessons learned to shorten that time. I can understand why they occur, but hopefully government offices and engineering firms are taking the earned experience to make it easier and faster the next time.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

langosta wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:59 am The website says estimated opening in 2032 if everything goes to plan.

We can do better. We need better. We deserve better.
Agreed with the guy who posted last. For example this includes an estimated 2 years of design + years for enviromental approvals, grant applications, etc. How does design take years? We will have built 3 of these by the time this gets going. I understand the literal how but imho it’s entirely bloat.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

If you're frustrated about the timeline, it mostly has to do with funding -- local and federal. If you had the cash in hand now and didn't need the feds you could build this in five years.

That's why the local/regional funding is so important to get out of the way now. It opens up multiple big ticket projects beyond just running more bus service -- Linwood, NorthRail, Metcalf, State Avenue, etc.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

There was a meeting for the Volker neighborhood yesterday (at the request of the neighborhood). People were frustrated. I'd say 70% of people there were against the line coming down W 39th. There were fears of losing the small businesses & small scale development of the street. There were also concerns with how narrow the street is. It also seems like we are being told this is a done deal because KUMed wants it (and is putting $$$ into it).

The Streetcar group claimed that they have reached out the neighborhood, but they really haven't until now. Someone pointed out that the meeting last night was held because the neighborhood demanded it...not because the streetcar team set it up.

I love the streetcar and I do see its beneficial impacts. However, I do agree that West 39th is not the right place for it. There simply isn't space for it. I also don't want to see all the old brick buildings torn down and replaced with 4-over-one apartments with soul-less storefronts that no local businesses can afford to rent.

Westport Road seems like a much better street for this. It is so much wider. The streetcar could help calm the traffic on Westport Rd and spur some development along that street (which I think has more space for development).

I'd love to see it come down Linwood, turn at Broadway, run past the Uptown and all the run-down commercial space along that strip until it reaches the heart of Westport. Turn at Westport Rd, run all the way past State Line, and turn on Rainbow. Run to the Hospital and either turn around, or go ahead and go down to SW Blvd. It could connect to downtown KCMO and/or KCK from there.

The presenters admitted that Westport Rd has not been seriously studied up to this point. They need to look at that route.

They also denied that KCATA's purchase of land along W39th had anything to do with the future streetcar. Kind of hard to believe.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

That’s interesting to hear Westport Rd hasn’t been seriously studied.

What would that look like? Main to 39th then onto Westport rd before turning on rainbow to KU Med?
Stops at:
- Broadway and Westport Rd
- Roanoke Parkway and Westport Rd
- 43rd and Rainbow
- KU Med at 39th and Rainbow

Is that too much track mileage in KS?

@Hugo what was your SW Blvd dream E/W route?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Close 39th to auto traffic from Mercier to State Line.