New Riverfront Women's Soccer Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: New Riverfront Women's Soccer Stadium

Post by langosta »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:27 am Yeah, a lot of undue negativity here in my opinion. $120M isn't that much for a stadium these days. Children's Mercy Park would probably be well over $300M if built today and people's expectations might be skewed by it. While CMP is on the small side and it lacks some more modern designs you see in newer stadiums (safe standing supporter's section, steeper rake, etc), the quality of the finishes are pretty high.

CPKC Stadium reminds me a bit of a much smaller version of Nashville's Geodis Park, with the open metal exoskeleton (although I do like the look of Nashville's black better than white). Nashville definitely gets credit for building the largest soccer specific stadium in the US to date (30k), but from at least from the pictures, the level of finishes looks lower than CMP for instance. And it cost $335M.

Here's the money shot for KC urbanists.

CMP is an easy $500 million today. CPCKC has talked about expanded end zones and filling in the corners. I had remembered a number lower than 20,000 for those improvements alone.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:53 am Didn’t see it mentioned here, but bicyclists turned out for this event. Blew past expectations on how many would bike to a game. Between people taking the streetcar and walking, or people who just walk, and those who biked, suburbanite heads collectively exploded at the idea of people doing such a thing. “PaRkInG? $50?!?! I’m NoT wAlKiNg In ThAt DiRtY, dAnGeRoUs CiTy!”
https://x.com/ael32090/status/1769137448649363789?s=46
That is awesome to see!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I like how the Current stadium looks
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:38 pm I like how the Current stadium looks
I do too. This isn't a premier league stadium. It's a stadium for a minor sport.* I'm actually surprised it's as nice as it is. Could have easily been roofless. Haters need to adjust their expectations.

*Nothing against NWSL, just an economic reality.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

how are most people accessing the stadium since there apparently isn't much parking? park in river market and walk down, uber, or what?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

chrizow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:40 am how are most people accessing the stadium since there apparently isn't much parking? park in river market and walk down, uber, or what?
The people that I knew that went:
- parked at the library, took the streetcar to 3rd and grand and then walked from there
- biked
- had friends/family drop them off at the door
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Along those lines, To anyone that went: How full were all of the gravel lots around the stadium? Was there space? Completely filled? I worry that if they were full the owners will drag their feet on starting the development of those lots due to the ~$50 parking charges.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chrizow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:40 am how are most people accessing the stadium since there apparently isn't much parking? park in river market and walk down, uber, or what?
There were school buses picking up in north loop that would take people right to stadium as well as what others have posted. People were really enjoying the walk to the stadium from what I heard through the riverfront.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I biked - other than the wind (which was "fun" on the ride back), the only real quibble I have is that the last stretch along the river to the stadium doesn't have a dedicated bike route, so you're doing one or more of: dodging peds on the riverfront trail, riding through the construction zones, riding on the narrower sidewalk that had less foot traffic, or walking your bike the last quarter- to half-mile in.

It did feel very nice to be making much better progress through the River Market than any other mode of transportation, in any case - hopefully Saturday's traffic snarls will convince more people to not attempt driving close-in to the stadium and (if nothing else) shuttle over from the North Loop lots.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

KC_Ari wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:48 am Along those lines, To anyone that went: How full were all of the gravel lots around the stadium? Was there space? Completely filled? I worry that if they were full the owners will drag their feet on starting the development of those lots due to the ~$50 parking charges.
Port Authority owns those lots, not the team. They were only approved to be gravel because they are temporary.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

dnweava wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:17 am
KC_Ari wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:48 am Along those lines, To anyone that went: How full were all of the gravel lots around the stadium? Was there space? Completely filled? I worry that if they were full the owners will drag their feet on starting the development of those lots due to the ~$50 parking charges.
Port Authority owns those lots, not the team. They were only approved to be gravel because they are temporary.
I'm aware. Technically the land the stadium is on is also leased. But the team was planning on going into a master development agreement for those lots. I don't know if that was actually made official in any capacity. If it was, I don't want them to drag their feet.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:59 am People were really enjoying the walk to the stadium from what I heard through the riverfront.
KC finally discovering the joy of a nice walk! I’m proud of the Current for not caving to parking demands and actually making people just figure it out. There’s a lesson to be learned here
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I walked from the River Market starting at about 10am at the town of Kansas bridge. There was a solid stream of walkers ahead of me and behind me. The energy and excitement of everyone was awesome. Same experience reversing the trip after the game.

I had some friends take the bus but haven’t talked to them about it yet. They live in the River Market so no driving to get there. I worried the bus access may have been limited and an opportunity for lessons learned. Watching it from my walk I think I was wrong though. The busses seemed to be moving freely to and from the stadium. The lots owned by the Kempers had attendants and were charging $20 to park.

The car parking at the stadium seemed well used but I have no idea how full it may have been.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:20 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:59 am People were really enjoying the walk to the stadium from what I heard through the riverfront.
KC finally discovering the joy of a nice walk! I’m proud of the Current for not caving to parking demands and actually making people just figure it out. There’s a lesson to be learned here
Lesson I learned is that the East Village is actually really close.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

droopy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:23 am
I walked from the River Market starting at about 10am at the town of Kansas bridge. There was a solid stream of walkers ahead of me and behind me. The energy and excitement of everyone was awesome. Same experience reversing the trip after the game.

I had some friends take the bus but haven’t talked to them about it yet. They live in the River Market so no driving to get there. I worried the bus access may have been limited and an opportunity for lessons learned. Watching it from my walk I think I was wrong though. The busses seemed to be moving freely to and from the stadium. The lots owned by the Kempers had attendants and were charging $20 to park.

The car parking at the stadium seemed well used but I have no idea how full it may have been.
I know at least one bar/restaurant had a party bus that sold tix.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

droopy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:23 am
Said this once or twice already but really hope they figure out a way to let people walk Grand. Walking down all those stairs and out of the way when there is a direct shot via Grand is silly.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KC_Ari wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:27 am
dnweava wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:17 am
I'm aware. Technically the land the stadium is on is also leased. But the team was planning on going into a master development agreement for those lots. I don't know if that was actually made official in any capacity. If it was, I don't want them to drag their feet.

Parcel 9 is currently under agreement with Cordish to develop. 1,000 parking spaces is part of the project as well as retail, residential etc.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Loved the people tailgating on the sandbar in the river!
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

swid wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:00 am I biked - other than the wind (which was "fun" on the ride back), the only real quibble I have is that the last stretch along the river to the stadium doesn't have a dedicated bike route, so you're doing one or more of: dodging peds on the riverfront trail, riding through the construction zones, riding on the narrower sidewalk that had less foot traffic, or walking your bike the last quarter- to half-mile in.
Bikes (and shuttles) are allowed to use the Grand viaduct fyi, no real traffic to compete with there. https://www.kansascitycurrent.com/bike
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Correct - it's the portion between the Grand viaduct and the stadium that had the issue, as converging back with the pedestrian route on the Riverfront Heritage Trail had far too many people walking on it (and using the entire width of the trail) to be of much use on a bike.

In any case, if both groups are expected to use that stretch of the trail going forward, signs should be put up on gamedays telling peds to use one half of the trail and bikes the other.