New Riverfront Women's Soccer Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: New Riverfront Women's Soccer Stadium

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:22 pm
langosta wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:21 pm https://fox4kc.com/business/riverside-c ... 7yceJR142E

There goes the concert angle of the riverfront stadium.... Live Nation proposed at 15,000 seat venue in Riverside.
It was never going to happen anyway. I'm involved in the riverside project and I'm happy that Live Nation has finally stepped up to bring this city a new, modern, 14,000 capacity shed closer to downtown. Our city really needs this in order to land bigger and better tours.

Let's just hope it happens, I haven't seen may serious obstacles.
idk how this is any better for downtown than anything else that exists.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nice. KC might actually get a decent large amphitheater. Sandstone is crap and Starlight is a niche venue for smaller concerts and broadway plays. KC needs a modern large amphitheater like this. Decent location for a major amphitheater.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:32 pm
langosta wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:21 pm https://fox4kc.com/business/riverside-c ... 7yceJR142E

There goes the concert angle of the riverfront stadium.... Live Nation proposed at 15,000 seat venue in Riverside.
It was never going to happen anyway. I'm involved in the riverside project and I'm happy that Live Nation has finally stepped up to bring this city a new, modern, 14,000 capacity shed closer to downtown. Our city really needs this in order to land bigger and better tours.

You don’t think this proposed venue being 5 miles away would be better for downtown than Azura Amphitheater which is 16 miles away?

It’s remarkably better and the only venue we should be comparing to this proposed amphitheater is Azura. There is no other existing comp.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:39 pm Nice. KC might actually get a decent large amphitheater. Sandstone is crap and Starlight is a niche venue for smaller concerts and broadway plays. KC needs a modern large amphitheater like this. Decent location for a major amphitheater.
If Bonner Springs is a 0/100, this is like a 20/100.

I 100% agree starlight isn’t the right fit, but what about something like this in Swope Park?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:05 am

You don’t think this proposed venue being 5 miles away would be better for downtown than Azura Amphitheater which is 16 miles away?

It’s remarkably better and the only venue we should be comparing to this proposed amphitheater is Azura. There is no other existing comp.
If I’m local, I’m headed to riverside directly. If I’m from out of town, either I was gonna be in the cheapest suburban hotel or I was gonna be in downtown already. But this is just another suburban location not close to downtown.

Nothing about this location over bonnet springs is inherently better for downtown.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:07 am

If I’m local, I’m headed to riverside directly. If I’m from out of town, either I was gonna be in the cheapest suburban hotel or I was gonna be in downtown already. But this is just another suburban location not close to downtown.

Nothing about this location over bonnet springs is inherently better for downtown.
Well, this project isn’t specifically meant to benefit downtown but it will benefit downtown none the less. The fact that it’s a bit closer to downtown and on the Missouri side is a big plus. It’s a great location where noise issues won’t be a major issue.

Azura is antiquated and has not kept up with modern standards and production capabilities. A new, purpose built large capacity venue will stop our market from being skipped over so often.

Also, we expect downtown hotels and restaurants to see a major influx of traffic related to shows held at this venue compared to the minimal traffic they currently experience from shows at Azura.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:07 am

Gotta disagree here. Bonner Springs is so far away from downtown. And it feels like it's a hour outside of town because it's so rural out there. Riverside is pretty close actually. I mean you are minutes from 169 where nice views of the downtown skyline come into view.

I don't think I have ever seen a major amphitheater in an urban area. You have smaller ones like Starlight and Muni in StL or just stages with few permanent seats but not many big ones are in central cites. And I personally don't consider Swope Park a very urban park. It's more like undeveloped land on the outskirts of the city than a true center city urban park. Plus Swope Park already has an amphitheater.

Penn Valley Park's location is more of an urban park, although PVP is barely used for park type activities. PVP might be a good spot for an amphitheater, but a large one there would need parking etc and there would probably be noise issues.

I feel like KC having a modern amphitheater in a relatively nice industrial park (no noise issues) yet close to downtown would be great for KC. This is the same area where the women's soccer team HQ and training fields are.

I have honestly always been that KC's primary concert amphitheater is that dump way out in the middle of nowhere Bonner Springs. It's just not a nice venue and it's location ranks up there with the Truman Sports complex as far as being a cruddy area only it's more rural.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I see the Riverside Amphitheater killing Sandstone/Azura just by association with Live Nation and the closeness to a larger population to pull from. Yes, it might be a little bit smaller, but a new facility that's closer to fans, linked with Live Nation and better highway connectivity will make it a success.

I have friends who have gone to Sandstone and say that it's a clusterfuck more often than not. The infrastructure isn't there for traffic. Nothing much to do nearby. It's shoved out in rural Wyandotte County. Concerts are sometimes canceled because of sound systems failing. It's just not a good experience that needs a strong competitor to force enhancements or a closure and shift eastward.

Back on the subject of the Riverfront Stadium, it was lit up tonight and is certainly bright. They've been testing the large screen off and on recently.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I know I can't wait to see New Kids on the Block at the RedX Amphitheater.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

The amphitheater probably needs it's own thread, but I will point out it will be very close to the rail line that goes through downtown Parkville that would be used on that proposed Amtrak line to St Joe so it wouldn't be hard to connect that venue to rail.
brooksidebadgers
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brooksidebadgers »

Live Nation skips us for every show you want to see. Not anymore! Can't wait.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

So I'm not sure if this will be a controversial take, but the current stadium feels extremely cheap for how expensive it is (I've been in it multiple times recently). It's a glorified high school stadium with a roof. It's a huge step down in quality from sporting KCs park.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:09 am So I'm not sure if this will be a controversial take, but the current stadium feels extremely cheap for how expensive it is (I've been in it multiple times recently). It's a glorified high school stadium with a roof. It's a huge step down in quality from sporting KCs park.
Completely agree but they were so desperate to be the “first purpose built stadium for women” they had to do this.

The average NWSL team does 4m in yearly revenue, so they were limited in what they could afford to build. At this point, it seems worth the investment considering all the PR and attention it’s bringing to the league and team.

The biggest thing up in the air is how long will people support this team after the new factor is gone? What about when they’re not winning? With such a big investment, they need high attendance every year to make those numbers work.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:22 am
dnweava wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:09 am So I'm not sure if this will be a controversial take, but the current stadium feels extremely cheap for how expensive it is (I've been in it multiple times recently). It's a glorified high school stadium with a roof. It's a huge step down in quality from sporting KCs park.
so they were limited in what they could afford to build.
I know inflation is a big issue with current construction costs, but I blame the design, not the budget($100+ million for a woman's soccer stadium in the Midwest is a highly impressive budget).

The Springfield Cardinals stadium was $32 million ($~50 million after inflation, so less than 1/2 the cost) and is way nicer.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dnweava wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:32 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:22 am
so they were limited in what they could afford to build.
I know inflation is a big issue with current construction costs, but I blame the design, not the budget($100+ million for a woman's soccer stadium in the Midwest is a highly impressive budget).

The Springfield Cardinals stadium was $32 million ($~50 million after inflation, so less than 1/2 the cost) and is way nicer.
An MLS stadium today is a $500-600 million investment. Not fair to compare.

Construction inflation was also higher than normal inflation.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

It also shows very well in street view coming south across the Bond bridge.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC shares its pitch with the world
The metro can take pride in what the Current’s stadium can do for KC — and in what it can do to advance women’s sports worldwide
Excitement about the $118 million, 11,500-seat stadium along Kansas City’s Berkley Riverfront is easy to see. The Current announced in December that it had sold out of season tickets, with demand for the roughly 2,000 seats reserved for single-game sales so strong that fans are paying $50 to join the Current Club and get on the wait list.

But anticipation has been building well beyond Kansas City. CPKC Stadium represents a milestone for investment in the growth of women’s sports. It’s a move that can lure local fans, and local and national sponsors. It may even attract and develop better athletes — powering what Deloitte calls an “investment and benefits cycle.”

“I would say the opening of a stadium is a significant achievement and a cause for celebration, for the team, for the league, for the city, for fans,” said Pete Giorgio, Global and U.S. Sports Practice leader for Deloitte. “It’s a moment in time where everyone kind of stops and just reflects on the fact that you’ve got this momentous occasion happening around this club. It signifies not just growth of the club and the league, but it also signifies the business community and the fans and the broader community, the sort of beliefs that they have in the team and the fact that they see it as a piece of the fabric of Kansas City, not just now, but for a long time to come.”
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 1&empos=p4
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC Current co-owner Long says building 'elite facilities' was 'really a no-brainer'
When the Kansas City Current’s owners moved forward on spending $118 million to construct the first stadium built specifically for a women’s professional sports team, they heard more comments from doubters than supporters.

Current co-founder Chris Long said the comments he heard ranged from “You’re wasting money” to “The business model won’t work” to “Why can’t they just play in the men’s stadium?” But Long, his wife and team co-founder, Angie, and fellow co-owners Brittany and Patrick Mahomes never wavered. They knew the trajectory of women’s sports: upward.

“From a decision-making standpoint, we were all-in from the get-go,” Chris Long said. “Having a facility for elite women athletes makes sense. Having elite facilities also allows us to unlock a lot of revenue drivers that are really important to the club and its future. So it was really a no-brainer, and we’re obviously thrilled with where we’re at today, as far as getting people on board.”
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 1&empos=p5
JohnKCMO
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by JohnKCMO »

Does anybody know if any of the restaurants at CPKC Stadium will be open outside of game days?