New Riverfront Women's Soccer Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: New Riverfront Women's Soccer Stadium

Post by langosta »

JohnKCMO wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:04 am Does anybody know if any of the restaurants at CPKC Stadium will be open outside of game days?
That was their plan at one point for the main restaurant and merch store
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

langosta wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:10 pm
JohnKCMO wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:04 am Does anybody know if any of the restaurants at CPKC Stadium will be open outside of game days?
I'll walk by tomorrow and try to see if anything looks like a restaurant. The Merch/Team store looks like it is outward facing.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

KC_Ari wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:18 pm
langosta wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:10 pm
I'll walk by tomorrow and try to see if anything looks like a restaurant. The Merch/Team store looks like it is outward facing.
No outfacing restaurant as far as I could tell.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Yesterday...
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Good sponsor get for the KC Current

https://www.kansascitycurrent.com/news/ ... c-2024-sea

Honestly shocked that Yeti hasn't sponsored another team in the city. I know they're an Austin company but their president and CEO is KC through and through
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Soccer fans are just the worst. I saw their supporters group complaint that the south stand naming was sold to HyVee and they preferred a local, homegrown name. FFS. One member said “it wasn’t discussed with us”. I just can’t with these people.

I’m pulling for this team and stadium, especially as a girl dad but the test of time and support will be interesting. Once the “first ever” wears off.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The stadium looks unfinished or something to me. I think the stadium is neat, but the exterior looks cheap or something. I'm sure it's fine. Just a first impression.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:17 pm The stadium looks unfinished or something to me. I think the stadium is neat, but the exterior looks cheap or something. I'm sure it's fine. Just a first impression.
Lack of color or facade imho
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

GRID wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:17 pm The stadium looks unfinished or something to me. I think the stadium is neat, but the exterior looks cheap or something. I'm sure it's fine. Just a first impression.
It's a high school football stadium with a soccer roof. I have no idea where the $100+ million went. It's literally aluminum bleachers.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

People need to get used to new construction prices
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Debbie Downers over here jeez. First women's soccer stadium ever! "Doesn't look good enough!" - KCRag

I haven't heard any reviews from those who went but everybody downtown seemed really excited pregame. Can't wait to go check it out.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:30 pm Debbie Downers over here jeez. First women's soccer stadium ever! "Doesn't look good enough!" - KCRag
Just the rag lol

Everyone I know that went today had an absolute blast.

Some had mixed reviews about the walk… but it was worth it for them
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:05 pm People need to get used to new construction prices
$1billion for an NBA arena. $2-3 for an NFL stadium. Current is peanuts in size or cost
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:03 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:30 pm Debbie Downers over here jeez. First women's soccer stadium ever! "Doesn't look good enough!" - KCRag
Just the rag lol

Everyone I know that went today had an absolute blast.

Some had mixed reviews about the walk… but it was worth it for them
The need to open up grand to peds. We can do it for the 4th of July with shuttles running.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I haven't heard any reviews from those who went but everybody downtown seemed really excited pregame. Can't wait to go check it out.
It's just how it looked, I saw a video of it on youtube and thought it was months from being done and it ended up being the finished product. It's about the same as when I saw it in person while in town. I just thought there would be more too it.

Like I said, I'm sure it's fine. But people using that stadium as an example of how you can do a pro stadium without tax money is misleading.

Regardless, I wonder how it all turned out with all the complaining about no parking, expensive parking etc. The streetcar should really help out a lot when it opens.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Yeah, a lot of undue negativity here in my opinion. $120M isn't that much for a stadium these days. Children's Mercy Park would probably be well over $300M if built today and people's expectations might be skewed by it. While CMP is on the small side and it lacks some more modern designs you see in newer stadiums (safe standing supporter's section, steeper rake, etc), the quality of the finishes are pretty high.

CPKC Stadium reminds me a bit of a much smaller version of Nashville's Geodis Park, with the open metal exoskeleton (although I do like the look of Nashville's black better than white). Nashville definitely gets credit for building the largest soccer specific stadium in the US to date (30k), but from at least from the pictures, the level of finishes looks lower than CMP for instance. And it cost $335M.

Here's the money shot for KC urbanists.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ cool shot

I think it's looking at the structure from the street. It looks like there is nothing to it. Just beams and grand stands. But that stadium doesn't have much going on in the end zones, so that's probably why. It's not big enough for the ends of the stadium to be built out. Your pic shows a cool thing about that though. You can see the city from the seats. I like the stadium. I hope KC can sustain this type of support for the team.

Really need to get the rest of the riverfront developed now. Hopefully that can happen relatively quickly.
Last edited by GRID on Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

*Not my photo.

Some of the open space and unfinished look might be for potential stadium expansion. It was built with expansion up to 20k mind (although we were told CMP was designed for the possibility of expansion, but it seems like that is not very easy to achieve).

Have there been any reports of what expansion of CPKC would look like? Replacing/expanding the north side seems like the lowest hanging fruit, but that wouldn't put it near 20k. Hopefully they leave that space for the skyline views open.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:50 am ^ cool shot

I think it's looking at the structure from the street. It looks like there is nothing to it. Just beams and grand stands. But that stadium doesn't have much going on in the end zones, so that's probably why. It's not big enough for the ends of the stadium to be built out. Your pic shows a cool thing about that though. You can see the city from the seats. I like the stadium. I hope KC can sustain this type of support for the team.

Really need to get the rest of the riverfront developed now. Hopefully that can happen relatively quickly.
Again, take into account what this stadium is built for. they don't have unlimited funds. Best NWSL stadium in the world though, tell you that.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Didn’t see it mentioned here, but bicyclists turned out for this event. Blew past expectations on how many would bike to a game. Between people taking the streetcar and walking, or people who just walk, and those who biked, suburbanite heads collectively exploded at the idea of people doing such a thing. “PaRkInG? $50?!?! I’m NoT wAlKiNg In ThAt DiRtY, dAnGeRoUs CiTy!”
https://x.com/ael32090/status/1769137448649363789?s=46