NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by dnweava »

Highlander wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:25 pm
DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:53 pm
shinatoo wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:34 pm Don't know who has seen NBA's product the last few years, but it's terrible. Bunch of soft premadonas chucking up threes. No thanks.
Baseball is arguably undergoing the same problem: players either strike out or hit a home run—because analytics have proven that to be the best way to score because pitching has gotten too good. Banning the shift, in part, was meant to address this, but the league will need to lower the mound sooner than later. Pitching is too good.
Agree 100% on the NBA. But that's even the case in college now - layups and 3 pointers. Not much in between.

. Banning hand checks ruined the game. NBA did it in 2004 and NCAA a decade later. That decade in between NCAA was such a better product, now they are both unwatchable.

Bring back hand checks and defense or I'm not coming back as a fan. I'd rather watch euro league.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

No one is investing in NBA until they get their shit figured out. They need a television contract and need to shorten their season.

The problem with American style sports leagues is it devolves into let's play as often as possible and everyone makes the post season. The players say no, the owners say here's more money, and you get the shit that's on tv.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:11 am No one is investing in NBA until they get their shit figured out. They need a television contract and need to shorten their season.
Not really at all, it's the fastest growing in the world. NBA is doing just fine & is about to make a ton of money shoving everyone else out of the way for the Vegas LeBrons.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

Well, I for one, am going to enjoy watching Nikola Jokic play basketball this evening....even though he may not himself enjoy playing.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Been to one NBA gaming since moving to DC. Boring AF. Now the Wizards are not good, but still. I guess I just don't get into basketball.

Been to dozens of Capitals games though. I don't watch hockey on TV at all, but seeing it live, especially NHL, is a totally different story.

I still think KC could support either and I don't think KU has any impact. That's silly. KC is not so small that having a college team 40 miles away is going to effect having a NBA team. If it does then KC probably needs to stop pretending to be a major league city.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Love going to NBA games but I will say - NHL is an absolute blast in person.

Also with the way KC buys into specific team members, the player culture of the NHL may endear itself to Kansas Citians more than the NBA
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:18 am Love going to NBA games but I will say - NHL is an absolute blast in person.

Also with the way KC buys into specific team members, the player culture of the NHL may endear itself to Kansas Citians more than the NBA
I mean I would probably go to more Wizards games if they were any good. And since I don't really have an emotional tie to the team, it's just hard to get into it. I saw a game in OKC once and it was a lot more fun, but again basketball is not a sport I'm into.

Hockey on the other hand I have always been into. We would go to Blues games in StL and loved going to Blades games when they were peaking in popularity. We even saw them play in a few other cities. But while in KC, we followed the Blues and Avs (even went to the stanely cup parade in Denver) so after moving to DC we instantly became Caps fans.

I think KC could support either. They are different fan bases. I don't think there is a lot of overlap, not here anyway. KC is a smaller city so there is much more overlap with fanbases for sports, but still a pro team playing downtown in the winter would do just fine in KC.

Whether that team is relevant in their respective league not would be a different story. It seems like KC would have a better chance in the NHL. I don't know basketball, but it seems like only a few teams (mostly larger markets) in that league are relevant. KC is used to that with the Royals though.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:00 am Been to one NBA gaming since moving to DC. Boring AF. Now the Wizards are not good, but still. I guess I just don't get into basketball.

Been to dozens of Capitals games though. I don't watch hockey on TV at all, but seeing it live, especially NHL, is a totally different story.

I still think KC could support either and I don't think KU has any impact. That's silly. KC is not so small that having a college team 40 miles away is going to effect having a NBA team. If it does then KC probably needs to stop pretending to be a major league city.
I agree, KC would support either very well I believe. We had success recently with minor league hockey, and it has a solid youth presence here in the METRO. Obviously other sports are bigger but solid enough.

I'd really love to see the NBA return to KC. I recall as a kid going to Kings games and having fun. I enjoy basketball and it would be fun to have an NBA team. Plus I think from the marketing factor having the NBA in KC would be smart. Good location for rivalries in Metros close by and chance to market the brand to the region; all of MO, NE, KS, & parts of AR, IA. May start to get some crossover with Thunder, Bulls, and maybe T-Wolves & Grizzlies but pretty solid spot for the NBA. And KC is a good sports town, not the best but good.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:04 am
GRID wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:00 am Been to one NBA gaming since moving to DC. Boring AF. Now the Wizards are not good, but still. I guess I just don't get into basketball.

I agree, KC would support either very well I believe. We had success recently with minor league hockey, and it has a solid youth presence here in the METRO. Obviously other sports are bigger but solid enough.

I'd really love to see the NBA return to KC. I recall as a kid going to Kings games and having fun. I enjoy basketball and it would be fun to have an NBA team. Plus I think from the marketing factor having the NBA in KC would be smart. Good location for rivalries in Metros close by and chance to market the brand to the region; all of MO, NE, KS, & parts of AR, IA. May start to get some crossover with Thunder, Bulls, and maybe T-Wolves & Grizzlies but pretty solid spot for the NBA. And KC is a good sports town, not the best but good.
You bring up a good point about NBA being the primary team in MO. While KC would have the Blues as a rival to help with attendance for those games, most of MO is already Blues fans and I don't see many outside of metro KC making the change. But MO has a lot of hockey fans and I still think KC would do okay in the NHL.

And while St Louis doesn't have an NBA team, I don't see a lot of fans from there coming to KC for games. StL people generally don't go to KC very often unless they have ties to the city (family etc). They would come up to see their teams play, but not to see a KC team play.

I think the NHL or NBA would do well in KC just because there is little competition that time of year and it would be a totally different feel than typical KC sporting events which all revolve around parking lots. Seeing a game in a more urban environment would be something very different and I think fun for a lot of people in KC. I think that alone will be a draw. Especially for people that live in the more urban parts of the city.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:15 am
I think the NHL or NBA would do well in KC just because there is little competition that time of year and it would be a totally different feel than typical KC sporting events which all revolve around parking lots. Seeing a game in a more urban environment would be something very different and I think fun for a lot of people in KC. I think that alone will be a draw. Especially for people that live in the more urban parts of the city.
It's too bad we don't already have that team. Then people in the outlying suburbs would not be so fearful about coming downtown for an event or a future baseball game. You'd think enough people would have attended an event at the TMobile Center or the PAC to understand that going downtown doesn't have to be the major hassle they make it out to be.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:52 pm
It's too bad we don't already have that team. Then people in the outlying suburbs would not be so fearful about coming downtown for an event or a future baseball game. You'd think enough people would have attended an event at the TMobile Center or the PAC to understand that going downtown doesn't have to be the major hassle they make it out to be.
The difference is people go to a concert or events very sporadically, most probably one every few years, so they never get into a routine of where to park, where to eat, how to avoid traffic etc. They never find that garage they like that is in that sweet spot of not too close, but not too far and not too busy. They never get a chance to park a little further away and take a tram or find a restaurant or bar a bit off the beaten path.

They go downtown once every two years and follow everybody else that does the same thing. They all follow each other into the same few garages right next to the arena where they cost more and take forever to get into and out of. They sit in more traffic then necessary, they all then try to go to the same few restaurants and they are too busy to accommodate everybody. They go home and tell everybody how much it sucks to go downtown.

Go to a few games a year to an NHL or NBA game and find your way around downtown and find your favorite and most convenient places to park (which everybody will have their own places) and you figure out that wow, this is actually very easy. In many cases, it's easier and faster than using a parking lot that is bigger than all of downtown KC.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It also doesn't help that even when rich folks & the Great One point out how great KC would be as a market then get shot down immediately. I think the ship has sailed on the NHL with Bettman being adamant that his legacy will be keeping the Coyotes in the Phoenix area even though the locals could care less. Can't even get Canadian snowbirds to watch the Maple Leafs is something especially funny.

NBA is seriously looking at us & definitely want in on getting some Mahomes/Kelce/good lord it's weird to put here but SWIFT exposure.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:57 pm It also doesn't help that even when rich folks & the Great One point out how great KC would be as a market then get shot down immediately. I think the ship has sailed on the NHL with Bettman being adamant that his legacy will be keeping the Coyotes in the Phoenix area even though the locals could care less. Can't even get Canadian snowbirds to watch the Maple Leafs is something especially funny.

NBA is seriously looking at us & definitely want in on getting some Mahomes/Kelce/good lord it's weird to put here but SWIFT exposure.
Significantly better chance at getting NBA than NHL. Massive gap in this part of the country for a team. Lacking a full time winter sport here, great arena district. Basically just have to wait till the next relocation.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:04 am

You bring up a good point about NBA being the primary team in MO. While KC would have the Blues as a rival to help with attendance for those games, most of MO is already Blues fans and I don't see many outside of metro KC making the change. But MO has a lot of hockey fans and I still think KC would do okay in the NHL.

And while St Louis doesn't have an NBA team, I don't see a lot of fans from there coming to KC for games. StL people generally don't go to KC very often unless they have ties to the city (family etc). They would come up to see their teams play, but not to see a KC team play.

Very true that we may not get a lot of ppl to travel over from STL for games. My guess is anyone East of Concordia wouldn’t make much of an effort. But TV viewership may be nice, radio network, streaming, etc. The nice media potential for be being the only NBA team n the MO might be nice. Plus bringing in other decent sized metros close by, Omaha, Des Monies, Springfield, MO, Northern AR. Viewership is viewership
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

This might be one of the most reasonable ways for NBA to get to KC in the near future:
https://x.com/HaroldRKuntz3/status/1719 ... 59853?s=20

Oklahoma City is voting Dec. 12th on a tax for a new $900 mil arena in which the Thunder are only paying 5% of the cost.

The author makes the case here that they're basically going to lose the team if they don't support the tax, and apparently there's a good amount of grumbling over supporting it.

Now, yes, the Thunder's ownership is local to OKC. However the author makes a good point they'll be hard-pressed to turn down a city like KC offering them a cost of "0" to move there. And I think obviously KC would be the natural choice. Anyways, just wanted to throw this out there as something to watch. One of these types of situations in the NBA is bound to hit at some point.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Is that realistic? Have to imagine that the Thunder would want some updates to our arena, especially since it just celebrated its 16th birthday
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:25 pm Is that realistic? Have to imagine that the Thunder would want some updates to our arena, especially since it just celebrated its 16th birthday
I can't imagine that'd be a problem, but tbh I think KC's arena best selling point is just simply the location at this point. P&L, South Loop Cap, Royals, the rest of downtown being so squarely around it is the appeal in my mind. Not many cities have that for the arena.

Also, I've never fully understood why the arena needs much updating. It's always seemed very modern to me still. I'd be curious to know.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:25 pm Is that realistic? Have to imagine that the Thunder would want some updates to our arena, especially since it just celebrated its 16th birthday
Somehow I don't buy that a $200 million 16-year-old arena is competitive with a $900 million brand-new arena.

Sprint Center is frankly pretty close in age to what OKC has determined is too old/outdated for their needs.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:13 pm
Somehow I don't buy that a $200 million 16-year-old arena is competitive with a $900 million brand-new arena.

Sprint Center is frankly pretty close in age to what OKC has determined is too old/outdated for their needs.
What do you think...they wouldn't meet the criteria of an update if an NBA team is a serious possibility? Come on. And that OKC venue wouldn't have anywhere near the level of surrounding amenities either.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

T-Mobile Center stands as a shining example of ongoing renovations, recently further enhanced through a new naming rights agreement. It not only meets the standards set by the finest NBA arenas in the country but, in many aspects, surpasses them. The venue excels in every aspect that an NBA team values - from its impressive scoreboard and high-definition video displays to its state-of-the-art ribbon boards and outstanding sound system.

While the arena's overall quality is remarkable, there are a few areas where potential enhancements might be considered by an NBA team. Customized locker rooms and branded aesthetics could be explored to further elevate the experience. Customizable exterior lighting options could transform the venue's nighttime appearance, providing more opportunities for branding and creating a distinct visual identity. It's fairly lame at night currently.

Additionally, converting some of the current open bar areas into level 100 suites would not only enhance the fan experience but also maximize revenue potential. It was built with this option in mind.

T-Mobile Center is so well-equipped that an NBA team could start playing there tomorrow, likely outpacing the facilities of several existing teams in the league.