Sky and Cordish $253M project

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Sky and Cordish $253M project

Post by langosta »

Subscribe to CityScene and read the new article on this. Strata reassignment would take that incentive and put it on this site
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:39 am Subscribe to CityScene and read the new article on this. Strata reassignment would take that incentive and put it on this site
So then they could start building this thing right away?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:39 am Subscribe to CityScene and read the new article on this. Strata reassignment would take that incentive and put it on this site
Along w/ 2 additional sites. Interesting.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:05 am
The 3 sites are Strata + the Sky & Cordish sites as far as I understand
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:15 am
Right. So Strata + these two

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

It is time to start the campaign: No skybridge over Main.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

smh wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:59 am It is time to start the campaign: No skybridge over Main.
I heard rumors that a certain new-hire from New Jersey has an anti Sky Bridge belief.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

langosta wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:10 pm
smh wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:59 am It is time to start the campaign: No skybridge over Main.
I heard rumors that a certain new-hire from New Jersey has an anti Sky Bridge belief.
You love to hear it!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah no way that sky bridge is happening.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

langosta wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:15 am
Very interesting. Im curious how that will work. Part of Strata incentive was capturing EATs because it was office. How will that help a residential project? Im not sure I know what it means to reassign an incentive to a new site. Isn’t that just a new incentive needing a new determination?

In any case, it was cool to hear that 4light (next main street theater) is moving forward independent of this.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:37 pm Yeah no way that sky bridge is happening.
I don't think it's being considered.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:42 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:37 pm Yeah no way that sky bridge is happening.
Excellent. I get why it would cross the mind of someone developing both sides of the street, but ultimately we really need folks out walking and it would have blocked the view up Main (probably). Glad to hear it isn't under consideration. Thanks for the info.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

smh wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:13 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:42 pm
Excellent. I get why it would cross the mind of someone developing both sides of the street, but ultimately we really need folks out walking and it would have blocked the view up Main (probably). Glad to hear it isn't under consideration. Thanks for the info.
When you consider the various interested parties, the skybridge idea becomes challenging. The developer is enthusiastic about the idea of adding a cool and somewhat unique amenity - the ability to move easily from one building to another. However, opinions among taxpayers diverge; some advocate for urban density, while others find it unappealing. Admittedly, the perception of 'ugly' is subjective, but the data indicates that the notion of displacing people from their buildings to increase density and drive traffic to downtown businesses is more of a myth. These individuals tend to live a lifestyle similar to those in suburban areas - heading out for errands, work, and other activities - with limited casual street strolling and spending on a grand scale. I've come around to the anti-skybridge side of things now that I've seen 2 and 3 light. I can't imagine a skybridge between the two adding anything visually positive.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

If it's not a 7th floor lazy-river that connects the two buildings, I don't want it lol.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I dunno, the sky bridges way up high are sorta cool, and do not take peds off the street. The sky bridge/restaurant component of the long ago proposed Wellington twin tower condos on Grand added a lot visually---more like an triumphal arch than a mere bridge. Here it could be like an entrance gate onto DT and the new freeway park.
I like that these two lots are smaller than the Light lots and are oriented north-south. Smaller buildings, more fine grained blocks.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Skybridges are hideous. Period. They only places where they don't look terrible and they actually make sense to install are in like hospital complexes.

On a side note. Wow, I remember the proposed Wellington Tower tower proposal. I actually flew helicopter aerials of the site for the developer. That would have really changed Grand had it been built and yeah, that might have been one spot where a skybridge might have been okay.

Why has that stretch of Grand remained so unchanged for so long??? Grand between downtown and the River Market should be filled in by now.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Anyone have a picture of the plan for that? Haven’t heard of this one before and not seeing anything on google/Kc star
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:32 pm Anyone have a picture of the plan for that? Haven’t heard of this one before and not seeing anything on google/Kc star
Open air connector between Two Light and Three Light with lets say a 7 foot glass wall on each side.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

langosta wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:51 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:32 pm Anyone have a picture of the plan for that? Haven’t heard of this one before and not seeing anything on google/Kc star
Open air connector between Two Light and Three Light with lets say a 7 foot glass wall on each side.
I think cratedigger is referring to a different plan
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Yeah I meant the Wellington Place plan. But thanks Langosta