Katz on Main

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
The Newbern
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Katz on Main

Post by The Newbern »

Wow, the scale of the new addition is a bit overwhelming. It certainly changes the look of the intersection of Westport and Baltimore! I'm eager to see the work on what is left of the Katz building. It looks like there are some guys working on the Westport Road facade. Hope that is a good sign.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

It really was a facade-ectomy. I wonder what Clarence Kivett's successors think about it. Of course, besides the interior mezzanine there wasn't much else to this structure besides its interesting facade.

His firm eventually went on to do the Truman Sports Complex and the 1970 airport plus my favorite, the Alameda Plaza hotel (which really needs a refresh now with its overloaded pool deck and under-utilized lobby). Kivett & Myers eventually begat Howard, Needles, Tammen & Bergendorf aka HNTB and then HOK, their "sports" practice.

But it all started in 1934 with this Katz Drug at Westport & Main.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

What's with that hole where the stairs to the lower level(housewares and hardware) was. Was the basement even accessible at all all those years the stairs were covered up?
The Newbern
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by The Newbern »

moderne wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:46 am What's with that hole where the stairs to the lower level(housewares and hardware) was. Was the basement even accessible at all all those years the stairs were covered up?
If I remember correctly there was non-retail space west of and behind the stairs--storage--but I don't know the size. When you came down the west stairs the check out counter was immediately to the left (so along the Westport Road side of the basement). Immediately west of this counter was an entrance to the storage area in question. It's worth noting that the basement sales floor did not take up the same floor space as the main floor. I believe there was non-retail space all around the basement.

Long ago there was a double wide staircase to the basement immediately as you entered the store from the corner entrance at Main and Westport. When Osco renovated the store in the 1980s and added the addition to the west (which then became the "main" entrance of the store) they put down a new floor throughout the store (covering up the original terrazzo floor in the old part of the building) and as they were working in the area of the larger "Main Street" stairs you could see where it had been covered up by a poured concrete slab at some point in the past.

In the early 1980's (around 1982 or 1983 for sure) Skaggs still had a lunch counter in the store running along the Westport Road side. They closed that not long after and that space was then occupied by their self assemble furniture department (the Sauder-type stuff).
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

They're working on restoring the clock tower today.
The Newbern
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by The Newbern »

Excellent!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Sirius_Blue wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:12 am They're working on restoring the clock tower today.
I was worried about this, good to see they’re focusing on this now!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Please restore the clock tower lighting to resemble the historical, not a poor anachronism like the P&L.
The Newbern
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by The Newbern »

Yes, absolutely. Let's hope they do it right not cheep. I've been wanting to see the stripes lit up with the orange neon glow for decades. When Osco renovated (and expanded) the building in the 1980s they did fix the clock (for a while) but didn't relight the stripes. Hope that is in the plan.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Latest from last week.
BigDonkus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by BigDonkus »

The Newbern
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by The Newbern »

Holy cow! From this angle the new building (or do we call it an addition??) really dominates. Does it overpower the original building as much from the Main Street side?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The Newbern wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:08 am Holy cow! From this angle the new building (or do we call it an addition??) really dominates. Does it overpower the original building as much from the Main Street side?
I took this a while back from the 39th st Plexpod roof. Not the best photo but shows the scale. The new build really makes an impact on the view towards main

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I noticed that work is progressing on this still, moving along
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 pm KC Tenants will just move to rent control and putting councilpeople in place who are either weak and scared, like we’re seeing here, or put their own people in office. They’ll push it through. It takes so few votes to win and getting rid of at-large candidates makes it even easier.
Alright, where'd you get the time machine from? Couldn't have called this any better.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

im2kull wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:23 pm Alright, where'd you get the time machine from? Couldn't have called this any better.
It will only get worse until people start asking the question, "Do you support KC Tenants?" and if they say yes, "I'm sorry I can't support you(.)" Of course, the candidates that come out against KC Tenants will face untold harassment, belligerence and intimidation. Not many people will subject themselves to that level of pain.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:50 pm
im2kull wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:23 pm Alright, where'd you get the time machine from? Couldn't have called this any better.
It will only get worse until people start asking the question, "Do you support KC Tenants?" and if they say yes, "I'm sorry I can't support you(.)" Of course, the candidates that come out against KC Tenants will face untold harassment, belligerence and intimidation. Not many people will subject themselves to that level of pain.
Agreed.

Lucas shouldn't have let his proposal to give the City Manager the approving authority get shut down so quickly. It's unfortunate he's made his bed with KCT. They've become a massive roadblock to development.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

im2kull wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:01 am Lucas shouldn't have let his proposal to give the City Manager the approving authority get shut down so quickly. It's unfortunate he's made his bed with KCT. They've become a massive roadblock to development.
But no one ever asks them about why they've become an impediment to development. For KC Tenants faults, they've become experts at playing to the media and having an annoyance level that scares councilpeople into giving in to avoid being stuck in the mud. I'm not sure I've seen any media personality, group or individual ask, "Why did you kill the US Bank development? How is the city better not having a development that met a good piece of the affordable housing requirement? Has the affordable housing requirements killed development as it appears and when are you going to change it?" The development side needs to take the bullhorn example from KCT and use it for their side.

So, just about Bunch: He's a pleasant nice guy, family man, I'm sure a good neighbor. But, he is part of the young Progressive demographic that seems to constantly get stuck doing nothing because there is always something wrong to find with a project. They don't understand 'Don't let perfect be the enemy of good." or "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." Basic, basic negotiation tactics, idealistic to a fault, accomplish absolutely nothing because it's better than giving a marginal imperfection. And the main problem is not that they are even hurting development brought to them. If you really want to grow the city, you should be meeting with developers on a weekly basis. Have them on speedail. Councilpeople shouldn't just be gatekeepers, they should be business drivers, attracting business, meeting with groups that might want to come here, growing the tax base. I've seen none of it. This is why you have to get away from political activists or neighborhood advocate-types as our city representatives. Getting bogged down in changing street names and national political issues, political psychological emotional handholding groups trying to make people feel better, virtue signaling. The closest you could call this city trying to actually attract a business downtown would be H&R Block and that was probably two miles and over 20 years ago.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Regarding KC Tenants, I'm reminded of a G.K. Chesterton quote: "He could not help falling into that besetting sin or weakness of the modern progressive, the habit of regarding contemporary questions as eternal questions and the latest words as the last."