Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Post Reply
User avatar
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4740
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: University City, MO

Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Post by warwickland » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 am

Illinois Governor Signs Law Legalizing Recreational Use Of Marijuana
June 26, 20192:18 AM ET
SCOTT NEUMAN

Twitter

Customers buy products at the Harvest Medical Marijuana Dispensary in San Francisco in 2016. Illinois has joined California and nine other states in legalizing the recreational use of the drug.
Haven Daley/AP
Illinois has become the 11th state in the country to legalize the recreational use and purchase of marijuana.

Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker, who was elected last year, signed the bill into law on Tuesday, fulfilling a key campaign promise. The state joins 10 others and the District of Columbia in allowing recreational use. The legislation takes effect on Jan. 1, 2020.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/26/73611789 ... -marijuana

User avatar
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4740
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: University City, MO

Re: Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Post by warwickland » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:46 am

Y'all come on over to St. Louis, stay downtown, take a trip to the eastside for something other than the gentleman facilities.

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3642
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Post by WSPanic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:50 am

Damn - Missouri has to get on that.

User avatar
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4740
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: University City, MO

Re: Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Post by warwickland » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:54 am

keeping missouri in a state of prohibition is sort of good for us over here, now that we are a bridge away from it. people from springfield, mo or kc or whatever will be spending money in the region.

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2495
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Post by brewcrew1000 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:06 am

warwickland wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:54 am
keeping missouri in a state of prohibition is sort of good for us over here, now that we are a bridge away from it. people from springfield, mo or kc or whatever will be spending money in the region.
Wonder if this could help revitalize East St Louis

Also, wonder if people in this area would still go to Colorado for their products or just make the shorter 3 hr drive to say Quincy IL assuming they had places that sold it

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Post by earthling » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:10 am

Would expect 'pot tourists' would rather visit Chicago over E STL. And as more states become legalized, cities in non-pot states will become more lenient and not enforce pot laws. Already happening in KCMO. My guess is that MO will legalize recreational pot within 5 years if not 2.

User avatar
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2027
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:30 pm
Location: City Market

Re: Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Post by rxlexi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:20 am

Would expect 'pot tourists' would rather visit Chicago over E STL. And as more states become legalized, cities in non-pot states will become more lenient and not enforce pot laws. Already happening in KCMO. My guess is that MO will legalize recreational pot within 5 years if not 2.
Yeah, I'm not sure that Warwick is referencing hardcore "pot tourists" as much as folks within MO that could do a quick weekend trip over to STL, enjoy the city, and have the added benefit of pot products just across the bridge. It could be the motivating factor for a trip to the region, or might not, but having that kind of access is no doubt a plus for the region, without MO having to left a finger legislatively.

User avatar
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4740
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: University City, MO

Re: Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Post by warwickland » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:12 am

rxlexi wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:20 am
Would expect 'pot tourists' would rather visit Chicago over E STL. And as more states become legalized, cities in non-pot states will become more lenient and not enforce pot laws. Already happening in KCMO. My guess is that MO will legalize recreational pot within 5 years if not 2.
Yeah, I'm not sure that Warwick is referencing hardcore "pot tourists" as much as folks within MO that could do a quick weekend trip over to STL, enjoy the city, and have the added benefit of pot products just across the bridge. It could be the motivating factor for a trip to the region, or might not, but having that kind of access is no doubt a plus for the region, without MO having to left a finger legislatively.
this. and there is a lot more to the metro east, which is a sub-region of st. louis with nearly one million people, than "east st. louis." but, definitely what rxlexi said...and chicago is not really a weekend trip from kc, is it? it's barely a weekend trip from here. i'm talking about getting a few more weekend trip folks over here...not wholesale "pot tourism" or massive vacations.

User avatar
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2027
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:30 pm
Location: City Market

Re: Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Post by rxlexi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:16 am

RE: metro east: Alton, Grafton, and the river road are pretty awesome. Would definitely make for a nice excursion from STL for the average KC folk on a weekend staycation. Jetski on the Mississippi!

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6272
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Post by shinatoo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:17 am

Amtrack: Number One Choice For People Who Like to Travel With Pot.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4740
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: University City, MO

Re: Illinois Recreational Marijuana Legalized

Post by warwickland » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:20 am

rxlexi wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:16 am
RE: metro east: Alton, Grafton, and the river road are pretty awesome. Would definitely make for a nice excursion from STL for the average KC folk on a weekend staycation. Jetski on the Mississippi!
when grafton isn't underwater, it is a wonderful spot...feels like a little slice of the "maritime" northern/great lakes midwest. the historic end of alton is nice too, with some nice eating/drinking/brewery stuff...all within site of the river. there's a massive cruise liner that docks at alton that runs between st. paul and new orleans or something...sailboats everywhere. it's a true working maritime environment.

i don't think this funny little slice of metro st. louis is even on the radar for people from kc. on summer weekends it's kind of a more relaxed lake of the ozarks type feel with people boating over from the massive st. charles county marinas and bar hopping the river pubs. Image
graftonloadingdock.com

Image
visitalton.com

Post Reply