OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by KCPowercat »

They could easily be added down each concourse but would then remove ability to drop in some vendors if ever wanted to. Probably unnecessary

I do think they could get some golf carts to the old people.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My biggest gripe with the airport currently is with concessions. No bar can keep up a current menu of booze. They always don't have something. Also the Amazon go stores don't have prices on anything. Given they are unmanned stores it's silly to not let people know or find out what prices of anything.

Given that's my biggest gripe the airport is killing it!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:56 am They could easily be added down each concourse but would then remove ability to drop in some vendors if ever wanted to. Probably unnecessary

I do think they could get some golf carts to the old people.
Nope. Not wide enough. Woukd kill circulation, and the below surface space isn’t there. In places they weren’t pre planned you have to situaate the mechanicals entirely above the surface too
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:20 pm
langosta wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:07 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:02 pm I've been using the airport more and I think the criticism is mostly off base. It's a very nice airport.

I traveled with my parents recently who are perfectly mobile but getting up there in age and they asked why there weren't more moving walkways. I think that's a legit critique now after spending more time in all the areas.
A lot of airports have been removing them. Hard to maintain, costly, and they are a physical barrier. Not really a place they aren’t at in the new terminal you could add them to without blocking cross traffic.
Which airports remove them?
Houston, Newark, ORD etc have removed
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:22 pm I overheard someone in the new terminal complain about the distances and pointed out that Phoenix has golfcart-like vehicles to move disabled or elderly people around, which would probably be welcomed here. At the same time, I don’t think the amount of walking at the new kc terminal is that unusual for a modern airport. I was recently at the rebuilt LGA, and though it is beautiful, it felt like a mile of walking to get to the gate
Airports, because of their requirement to dock large machines, beget long walking distances. The old KCI actually handled this brilliantly with its horseshoe design (similar situation at DFW). Of course, when passengers aren't connecting, the distances in a "drive-to-your-gate" airport are moot.

But that was then. Like most modern airports, with security becoming the "long pole in the tent" in terms of process, a central chokepoint (starting point A) leads to much larger spaces where the airplanes are serviced (multiple end points B). People need to get from A to B. It's an architectural fact, not really "solvable" unless passengers move themselves (wheeled luggage helps).

Our aging society does mean that many more people are mobility restricted compared to yesteryear. Wheelchairs and carts are the normal fix, but the real answer is to get people to arrive at least two hours before departure. Even elderly people can walk a mile if you give them enough time.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

herrfrank wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:21 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:22 pm I overheard someone in the new terminal complain about the distances and pointed out that Phoenix has golfcart-like vehicles to move disabled or elderly people around, which would probably be welcomed here. At the same time, I don’t think the amount of walking at the new kc terminal is that unusual for a modern airport. I was recently at the rebuilt LGA, and though it is beautiful, it felt like a mile of walking to get to the gate
Airports, because of their requirement to dock large machines, beget long walking distances. The old KCI actually handled this brilliantly with its horseshoe design (similar situation at DFW). Of course, when passengers aren't connecting, the distances in a "drive-to-your-gate" airport are moot.

But that was then. Like most modern airports, with security becoming the "long pole in the tent" in terms of process, a central chokepoint (starting point A) leads to much larger spaces where the airplanes are serviced (multiple end points B). People need to get from A to B. It's an architectural fact, not really "solvable" unless passengers move themselves (wheeled luggage helps).

Our aging society does mean that many more people are mobility restricted compared to yesteryear. Wheelchairs and carts are the normal fix, but the real answer is to get people to arrive at least two hours before departure. Even elderly people can walk a mile if you give them enough time.
Ehhh the old terminals were really bad at docking planes and serving customers without the security concerns
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Almost a year since opening and people are still happy with the new terminal over the old ones. You love to see and hear it!
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:55 pm Almost a year since opening and people are still happy with the new terminal over the old ones. You love to see and hear it!
except some people who fly little who now have to walk a little more
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ericwyner wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:25 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:55 pm Almost a year since opening and people are still happy with the new terminal over the old ones. You love to see and hear it!
I was deplaning with some of these people last week. The romanticizing of old terminals was pretty hilarious. Then they move onto Save the K talk and it was all I needed to know that we would never be friends lol
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Heart disease is the number one killer of Americans annually. I don’t care if people have to walk :lol:
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:25 am
I was deplaning with some of these people last week. The romanticizing of old terminals was pretty hilarious. Then they move onto Save the K talk and it was all I needed to know that we would never be friends lol
Just curious about the age?
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:05 pm
Heart disease is the number one killer of Americans annually. I don’t care if people have to walk :lol:
To be fair, there are people that simply cannot walk very far for whatever reasons. But they are a tiny minority of the people that fly. That said, I'll never understand the aversion to walking. I enjoy walking around airports, certainly better than sitting in the gate and staring at my phone for an hour.
Last edited by Highlander on Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:35 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:25 am
Just curious about the age?
younger than I would have hoped. Maybe early 40s
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I am older than them and cannot see how someone forties could have good memories of the old terminals. TBH, I do have good memories in the late seventies and early eighties of the terminals. Back before people that flew thought flip flops and jorts were flying attire.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

moderne wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:02 pm I am older than them and cannot see how someone forties could have good memories of the old terminals. TBH, I do have good memories in the late seventies and early eighties of the terminals. Back before people that flew thought flip flops and jorts were flying attire.
Probably never travel. Some just love to hate any change, like a personality trait
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCI was bustling like a true big city airport today. Lot's of people in town for volley ball tourney or something. Looked like half the people in the airport were in town for that.

I hung out for a bit by the city market store in the middle of concourse B and people watched for a while to kill time.

As people came from their flights and turned the corner toward the long connector between the concourses, I actually saw many people visually look overwhelmed and annoyed as they just walked from their gates for like three minutes and now they have to walk down that big hallway lol. Anybody that acted like this were wearing KC stuff so they were obvious locals. The people that seem more like frequent travelers or were from out of town seemed to not be bothered by the walking at all. But it really seemed like a lot of locals were trying to find reasons to tell each other how bad all the walking was.

Meanwhile, I was trying to imagine these thousands of people in town for this convention at the old terminals. How embarrassing it would be for these people to have no place to sit or eat etc.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I felt the same way when I was there, it was fun to see it bustling.

I would be careful about over indexing on your priors and saying someone looking confused hates the airport because they're in a chiefs shirt.

I was the one that kind of kicked this off, just that my parents found it a long walk because we got an unlucky gate. But they love the airport.

I haver read the complaints about it, and every time I go there it's been near perfect.

I think people online really just love to complain and we should spend less time with them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

People tend to see what they want to see. In my times at kci I rarely hear a negative comment nor any confused disappointed people
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I love our new terminal and agree with you all, basically never see or hear anyone complaining about it while there. My only complaint and it's pathetic, is the "art" in the main lobby as you walk in for departures. It just looks so basic and underwhelming. I get it though, budgets.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The art is my favorite part. That piece I don't think is the best one but I overall like it. Needed something that covered a lot of area.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:58 pm The art is my favorite part. That piece I don't think is the best one but I overall like it. Needed something that covered a lot of area.
Yes, everything else is great! The ceiling treatment just makes me think of cheap Christmas decor.