Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 pm

gfenn11 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:31 pm
Lime pulled out of the market until Spring. All staff at the warehouse were laid off unexpectedly.
Not all...

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:22 pm

Is part of the reason they shut down because of the end of the pilot and needing to reapply for whatever this next phase is KCMO keep advertising?

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:08 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:22 pm
Is part of the reason they shut down because of the end of the pilot and needing to reapply for whatever this next phase is KCMO keep advertising?
Interim process could last up to six months. Lime launched in September.

These VC-backed scooter companies are burning through lots of cash, and investors are getting skittish.

gfenn11
Pad site
Pad site

Post by gfenn11 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:12 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:22 pm
No. Ridership tanked when the temps really dropped. They also entirely lost out on any revenue for two days on/after the blizzard since they did what was required in the agreement (unlike Bird) and did not deploy scooters until sidewalks and streets were "cleared".

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:59 pm

So they lost out on revenue that wasn't there (as it was cold those days)?

I mean I totally understand these companies putting away the scooters in the winter.....I was just wondering if the current KCMO process impacted them too.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:25 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:59 pm
I mean I totally understand these companies putting away the scooters in the winter.....I was just wondering if the current KCMO process impacted them too.
Clearly the caps and fees aren't helping their profitability.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kboish » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:06 am

I also wonder if they are annoyed about the council directing their fees toward "housing" instead of scooter infrastructure. Those hearings were bizarre. The Lime rep sat down and said explicitly, we are giving you these monies with the understanding that it is spent on regulating the scooters and building infrastructure related to the scooters, however we don't have a position on your current housing use proposal. Then, the council people said thanks for your input and completely ignored them.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 am

I tweeted the same before reading your post but I agree it has to be factored in.

Spending those fees on mobility infrastructure makes their scooters more desirable and hence more palatable.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:59 am

I would anticipate an Uber-style preemption bill is introduced in the next legislative session, perhaps in Kansas too. KCMO will likely be stripped of its ability to charge fees other than for cost recovery.

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:14 am

Directing the money toward affordable housing probably makes it more likely that we will be preempted, imo. Putting tax money toward helping the business that we are taxing would play better in a conservative legislature.

As for Lime and Bird, if I were them, I would lobby for a preemtion bill and them give money to the city specifically for bike lane projects.