Bird Scooters Have Landed

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4653
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by earthling » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:21 am

According to Lime app, there are a couple _bicycles_ downtown at the moment - about 18th/Main and Library district. Also one on Plaza by Michael Kors. Error in app or are they experimenting with bikes?

edit: One in Westport too.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16838
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:40 pm

earthling wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:21 am
According to Lime app, there are a couple _bicycles_ downtown at the moment - about 18th/Main and Library district. Also one on Plaza by Michael Kors. Error in app or are they experimenting with bikes?

edit: One in Westport too.
Error, as far as I know. Lime isn't permitted to launch anything other than scooters at this time -- and they're maxed out at 500.

gfenn11
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:15 am

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by gfenn11 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Bird had its first coordinated hoarder takedown in KC with KCKPD's help retrieving 58 scooters from inside an apartment building. Still quite a few smaller hoards located throughout the city, so hopefully they will be taken care of soon.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7040
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by flyingember » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:41 pm

150 electric bikes coming, partnership between BikeWalkKC and RideKC.

http://bikewalkkc.org/blog/2018/11/medi ... nd-ridekc/

They'll work with the current Bcycle stations and be dockless

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3829
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by bobbyhawks » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:14 pm

flyingember wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:41 pm
...and be dockless
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16838
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by DaveKCMO » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 pm

"Lock-to" dockless, so you'll have to lock them to something to check them back in.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28863
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by KCPowercat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:07 am

Is there a new app or just the bcycle app?

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3829
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by bobbyhawks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:57 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 pm
"Lock-to" dockless, so you'll have to lock them to something to check them back in.
Few. That is great to hear!

User avatar
wahoowa
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: CBD

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by wahoowa » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:42 pm

gfenn11 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:27 pm
Bird had its first coordinated hoarder takedown in KC with KCKPD's help retrieving 58 scooters from inside an apartment building. Still quite a few smaller hoards located throughout the city, so hopefully they will be taken care of soon.
i would like to subscribe to this a&e television show effective immediately

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28863
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by KCPowercat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:47 pm

Lol

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16838
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by DaveKCMO » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:44 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:07 am
Is there a new app or just the bcycle app?
It will be a new app. Get a start here: https://www.dropmobility.com/

gfenn11
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:15 am

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by gfenn11 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:46 pm

wahoowa wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:42 pm
gfenn11 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:27 pm
Bird had its first coordinated hoarder takedown in KC with KCKPD's help retrieving 58 scooters from inside an apartment building. Still quite a few smaller hoards located throughout the city, so hopefully they will be taken care of soon.
i would like to subscribe to this a&e television show effective immediately
Same here. Sounded like a fun time!

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16838
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:07 pm

Uber said to be negotiating a multibillion-dollar takeover of scooter-sharing startup https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/1/1812 ... ton-report

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4394
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by beautyfromashes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:48 pm

Do we think prices will go down for the service? Would love to see it cheaper to grab a scooter than drive a car on short trips.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16838
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:43 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:48 pm
Do we think prices will go down for the service? Would love to see it cheaper to grab a scooter than drive a car on short trips.
At minimum you'll see them integrated into the Uber app, like the Jump bikes are in markets where they exist. It's called "mobility as a service" -- you pick the mode that suits your trip based on price, duration, and availability.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4394
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by beautyfromashes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:01 pm

If we do get free bus transportation in the future, will bicycle and e-bike be included? Scooter?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16838
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by DaveKCMO » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:08 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:01 pm
If we do get free bus transportation in the future, will bicycle and e-bike be included? Scooter?
I doubt it.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4394
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by beautyfromashes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:09 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:08 pm
beautyfromashes wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:01 pm
If we do get free bus transportation in the future, will bicycle and e-bike be included? Scooter?
I doubt it.
Would love to see us implement programs like Amsterdam where public bikes are put at all bike racks. They are simple, older bikes but you just take one when you need it. If making transportation free is a way to incentivize it’s use, bicycle use should be part of the same program.

gfenn11
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:15 am

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by gfenn11 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:31 pm

Lime pulled out of the market until Spring. All staff at the warehouse were laid off unexpectedly.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4394
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by beautyfromashes » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 pm

gfenn11 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:31 pm
Lime pulled out of the market until Spring. All staff at the warehouse were laid off unexpectedly.
“Wait, they have snow in the winter and not as many people want to ride when it’s 20 degrees outside! Who could anticipate that?!”

Post Reply