NFL Draft

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: NFL Draft

Post by GRID »

Looking at the logistics of getting people to this event. I'm surprised they didn't set up shuttle buses that take people from other parts of the central city and some park and rides in the suburbs. I know they have the west bottoms garage shuttle. Downtown has a lot of parking, but the main entrance to this is quite a hike (and mostly uphill) from most of downtown. Why not run a bunch of buses that drop off right at the event entrance?

I wish I was not so busy with work, I would book a last minute flight to KC for this event.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:28 pm Looking at the logistics of getting people to this event. I'm surprised they didn't set up shuttle buses that take people from other parts of the central city and some park and rides in the suburbs. I know they have the west bottoms garage shuttle. Downtown has a lot of parking, but the main entrance to this is quite a hike (and mostly uphill) from most of downtown. Why not run a bunch of buses that drop off right at the event entrance?

I wish I was not so busy with work, I would book a last minute flight to KC for this event.
There is an east shuttle and a west shuttle. Not sure where they drop off.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yeah why aren’t those dropping of at the entrance?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Streetcar connection?

Still don’t understand why the streetcar doesn’t go to the Union Station stop
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The area around the draft has been locked down to cars now for about a week, which has been nice for walkers in the park like myself. But, today the lockdown expanded to walkers as well. The draft area is now closed so you can't walk to the Memorial or through that area at all. Main is closed as well as Pershing so you're pushed to East and West streets. Did make it into the green room inside US with my dog though to get over to Main through the lower garage entrance and up the escalators. Not much security in that area if you want to see the holding area for future draftees before the draft. Not really sure why they have to have the draft experience area fenced off since it's free. ??
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:08 pm The area around the draft has been locked down to cars now for about a week, which has been nice for walkers in the park like myself. But, today the lockdown expanded to walkers as well. The draft area is now closed so you can't walk to the Memorial or through that area at all. Main is closed as well as Pershing so you're pushed to East and West streets. Did make it into the green room inside US with my dog though to get over to Main through the lower garage entrance and up the escalators. Not much security in that area if you want to see the holding area for future draftees before the draft. Not really sure why they have to have the draft experience area fenced off since it's free. ??
Security? Really easy answers
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

langosta wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:18 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:08 pm The area around the draft has been locked down to cars now for about a week, which has been nice for walkers in the park like myself. But, today the lockdown expanded to walkers as well. The draft area is now closed so you can't walk to the Memorial or through that area at all. Main is closed as well as Pershing so you're pushed to East and West streets. Did make it into the green room inside US with my dog though to get over to Main through the lower garage entrance and up the escalators. Not much security in that area if you want to see the holding area for future draftees before the draft. Not really sure why they have to have the draft experience area fenced off since it's free. ??
Didn't have security lockdown for the Royals or Chiefs parades/rallies and there were probably just as many people.

I did see a Department of Homeland Security air detection sensor setup at the dogpark. Would be funny to see the partical readouts for the device with all the dogs.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It's an NFL ran thing, they are super security paranoid.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:21 pm
langosta wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:18 pm
Didn't have security lockdown for the Royals or Chiefs parades/rallies and there were probably just as many people.

I did see a Department of Homeland Security air detection sensor setup at the dogpark. Would be funny to see the partical readouts for the device with all the dogs.
Those parades did not involve filling the park with equipment, etc
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Also the location of the parade wasn’t determined until the week or two before. This location has been known for quite awhile
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:48 am Image
I'm just really confused by this event. The way they have this set up and the way everybody talks, this is going to attract hundreds of thousands of people. The main entrance to this is on the south side of the memorial. Even from somebody like myself that is used to walking in cities, that seems like a hike for the average Kansas Citian from the crossroads streetcar stop all the way to union station, let alone up the hills to the main entrance on the south lawn of the memorial. It's odd they couldn't keep the streetcar open union station.

It really seems like people are going to have to really hike a ways to this event and there are very limited park and ride shuttle options.

On the bright side, the sidewalks of KC's urban core should be quite a site during this event with people everywhere. Maybe people in KC will realize you can walk 10-20 blocks in KC and get them ready for the stadium.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

There are a couple of entrances off of main before you reach the top of the hill.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Been fun watching them set it all up. You can even go back and click on different times of the day. This is one hell of a set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7BzZFZx4Og
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

NFL Channel broadcasting from station tonight. Stage set looks great. All that can be seen is the interior of the tent with the stage below and the 3 arches of the station taking up all the background. The way they use the fountain it is like a reverse stage curtain. When they go to commercial it goes to the background skyline shot in the sunset. Will be sweet to see the guys walking the red carpet along the front wall of the Liberty Memorial with the skyline in the background.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

I've been out walking all late morning/early afternoon. It's been great seeing all of the streetcars running and being full before even getting to the Library stop. Car traffic on Main is thankfully very light.

Only thing I saw that could be improved for the pedestrian/fan experience would be closing Grand at 20th and congregating food trucks & vendors along that way. So far plenty of businesses have to go cocktails being served on the sidewalks along Main.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Went this afternoon for a bit and it was very crowded. It's been said the Draft experience area has a limited capacity of 80,000. I don't see how we don't reach that by 5 o'clock. It was shoulder to shoulder in the events area. The North Lawn was sparce but will start to crowd closer to the draft start. Fun experience with people in jerseys from all the teams.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

TV coverage has started, pretty impressive look. First shot was a drone following the Draft streetcar over the Main St bridge towards Downtown.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC looks pretty awesome on tv. They really pulled this off well.