Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:05 pm JFC, that is a beautiful building. You could even repurpose that first floor to retail. What in the hell?
I gotta say GRID, your view on issues like this has lost some credibility with me because of your push for EC. Either we want to save historic buildings and repurpose them or we don’t.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:12 pm New owner lives in Lenexa.

Kansas 101 Linwood LLC
10951 Lake View Avenue, Lenexa, Kansas 66219.

That address goes to MISH Hospital and Clinics.

It’s a shame to demolish this building. Surely if they wanted to build a hospital clinic here, they could’ve repurposed the building.
Chris, why do we hear about buildings like this after a suburb or out-of-state person has already bought it for demolition. Are there no developers scouring for properties like this to convert?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:18 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:12 pm New owner lives in Lenexa.

Kansas 101 Linwood LLC
10951 Lake View Avenue, Lenexa, Kansas 66219.

That address goes to MISH Hospital and Clinics.

It’s a shame to demolish this building. Surely if they wanted to build a hospital clinic here, they could’ve repurposed the building.
Chris, why do we hear about buildings like this after a suburb or out-of-state person has already bought it for demolition. Are there no developers scouring for properties like this to convert?
In the case of this one, it was for sale up until a few months ago. The asking price made it hard to justify costs without building something new around it. Someone should’ve come in and redeveloped it, but instead it’s some suburban group who probably looked at the surrounding area and thought “there’s nothing of interest around”.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:24 pm In the case of this one, it was for sale up until a few months ago. The asking price made it hard to justify costs without building something new around it. Someone should’ve come in and redeveloped it, but instead it’s some suburban group who probably looked at the surrounding area and thought “there’s nothing of interest around”.
But if the price was high, how could it be more.valuable to tear it down? Surely, a property with a good building is worth more than just a lot!

I think if buildings like this get demo’d, US Bank gets buried, Armory building dies you have to really question whether the streetcar extension is really producing the results that everyone anticipated.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:15 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:05 pm JFC, that is a beautiful building. You could even repurpose that first floor to retail. What in the hell?
I gotta say GRID, your view on issues like this has lost some credibility with me because of your push for EC. Either we want to save historic buildings and repurpose them or we don’t.
I knew somebody would say that and I get what you are saying. But there is nothing like this building in the way of the stadium. What is in the way is a huge monstrosity that is going to sit there and deteriorate for 15 more years. The rest is mostly just scrappy non descript low density barely used buildings. For the ECR, I'm trying really hard to look at the "big picture" of where the stadium can have the most impact in a city that really doesn't grow very fast. A location that creates some real urban synergy with other areas of downtown so you have more continuous places to walk between etc.

I totally get why people like the EV site as well though. It's just my opinion that EC is the one location where I think you can justify what is being torn down for an instant upgrade to the city.

I'm starting to think the EC is going to fall apart anyway and it will end up at EV, which is fine. But the city really needs to figure out what to do with that star press. It's going to look like total shit in another 5 years when it's missing 20% of its windows and it's a true wall in the heart of the ECR where a stadium could be designed to overcome the negatives of its large footprint.

There is absolutely no reason to tear this building down even for a new development and it sounds like nothing will replace it which makes this even more insane.

And if you think I support tearing down existing viable urban structures even for new development, you should have saw how active I was in saving the Park Place hotel on the Plaza which is now a Marriott property. Or the proposal to tear down the Cambria Apartment building for an office building for Polsinelli.

I just personally think that is the best location for a stadium looking at all the information, the crossroads, the star building, the royals, the chances of potential spinoff development etc And IMO, the ECR site is a rare time where additional tear down might be warranted.

PS, I would also support tearing down the IRS campus and moving them into a more fitting urban vertical structure and putting the ballpark there. Sometimes tearing things down can be the better option.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Midtownkid wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:03 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:17 pm Fences up at the old Salvation Army building on Linwood set to be torn down.
Oh no! I hadn't heard about a plan to demolish. That is a nice structure. Seems like a logical conversion to apartments or maybe a boutique hotel. Nice large windows. A first level that comes to the sidewalk and looks like it would make great retail space. Just an overall solid presence.

Any word on what would replace it? Nothing better I'm sure.

Linwood was once so grand and we should not allow any further demolitions like this!!

This 1923 building should be preserved. I'm not sure how much time is left, but preservationists in town, please be aware and contact your allies to stop a needless demolition.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

This can't seriously be torn down, right? That is absolutely insane and makes me not want to come on here to learn about depressing things like this.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

GRID wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:48 pm Sometimes tearing things down can be the better option.
Not in Kansas City until a significant amount of the super vast empty blocks and block and blocks have been repurposed. Otherwise, it’s decided that the only real value in the city is the heart and you just continuously build and tear down the same lot forever. It’s the equivalent of cutting open ten watermelons, eating the heart and throwing the rest in the trash because “it’s too much work eating around the seeds”. I’ve been with you on many arguments on here about development. A couple decades. I don’t like this new gRID, sorry.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KC_Ari wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:23 pm This can't seriously be torn down, right? That is absolutely insane and makes me not want to come on here to learn about depressing things like this.
Gas lines shut off and barrier fence up. No one’s paying attention. Our leaders are too busy watching the Chiefs games and promoting their jobs after their term is over.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Are u sure this is being torn down? Neighborhood has been complaining for weeks about this building because homeless have taken up residence in the garage area as well and breaking into the building and starting fires. A fence is probably not going to do much but maybe this is the half ass attempt to stop the homeless break ins
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:28 pm
KC_Ari wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:23 pm This can't seriously be torn down, right? That is absolutely insane and makes me not want to come on here to learn about depressing things like this.
Gas lines shut off and barrier fence up. No one’s paying attention. Our leaders are too busy watching the Chiefs games and promoting their jobs after their term is over.
Eh, our leaders are actually too busy fussing with the plaza while KC hemorrhages a historic building every month.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:50 pm Are u sure this is being torn down? Neighborhood has been complaining for weeks about this building because homeless have taken up residence in the garage area as well and breaking into the building and starting fires. A fence is probably not going to do much but maybe this is the half ass attempt to stop the homeless break ins
They've issued permits to kill the water, gas and electricity to the building in the last two weeks plus the barriers are at a distance from the outside of the building standard for a demolition to protect walkers from falling material. It sure doesn't look good. None of those things would happen with a buildout. You'd want power and water services.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:14 pm
Eh, our leaders are actually too busy fussing with the plaza while KC hemorrhages a historic building every month.
Today one leader was busy signing a meaningless income discrimination ordinance.

Guess you can’t discriminate on a renters income if there’s nowhere to rent. Problem solved.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:50 pm Are u sure this is being torn down? Neighborhood has been complaining for weeks about this building because homeless have taken up residence in the garage area as well and breaking into the building and starting fires. A fence is probably not going to do much but maybe this is the half ass attempt to stop the homeless break ins
Traffic Control Permit stipulates Demolition
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

All the while, Kansas City can't find a location for a new landfill. South KC doesn't want it near them. Building demolition and construction waste contribute a significant portion to landfill. Not to mention carbon pollution. City leaders don't see any cause and effect.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:04 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:14 pm
Today one leader was busy signing a meaningless income discrimination ordinance.

Guess you can’t discriminate on a renters income if there’s nowhere to rent. Problem solved.
Where's Kathleen Pointer and her KCPS agenda on this? It's terribly hypocritical to complain about tax abatements costing the school district revenue, while not mentioning the effects that a teardown has. She's such a fraud.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

We need to get a law passed that nothing can be torn down without an approved plan and funding in place for whatever will replace it. No demolition for surface parking, period. At least within the RCP.

I hope we are all jumping to conclusions and the building is not going anywhere.
Last edited by Midtownkid on Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Brian David Platt
@BrianDavidPlatt
Will look into this tomorrow, and try to contact the owner.
9:46 PM · Jan 30, 2024

Brian David Platt
@BrianDavidPlatt
Update: we have not received any permits or pre-applications for demolition or any other plans to renovate this property. We will of course now be monitoring closely given the fencing and request for water shutoff. Thanks for flagging everyone!
https://twitter.com/BrianDavidPlatt/sta ... 1502001463
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

The pre-demo permit is right here... https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments
(not sure why these permit types aren't shown in the Parcel Viewer permits list for the parcel)
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:17 am
Brian David Platt
@BrianDavidPlatt
Will look into this tomorrow, and try to contact the owner.
9:46 PM · Jan 30, 2024

Brian David Platt
@BrianDavidPlatt
Update: we have not received any permits or pre-applications for demolition or any other plans to renovate this property. We will of course now be monitoring closely given the fencing and request for water shutoff. Thanks for flagging everyone!
https://twitter.com/BrianDavidPlatt/sta ... 1502001463
But how do city leaders have no idea something like this is happening? Doesn’t someone have to approve a permit? They shouldn’t have to be informed by the public. It’s like they’re all asleep at the wheel.