Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Post by beautyfromashes »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:25 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:07 pm Salvation Army building just west of Linwood and Main now has a For Sale sign up and all SA signage has been removed. That intersection has seen a lot of activity lately with the funeral home, warehouse space and now SA all selling. The building is in good condition. All brick, 5 stories.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/101-W-L ... /26930003/
Construction started in the building. Does anyone know who purchased it?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The parcel viewer shows the Salvation Army still owns the property, but perhaps the sale and new owner haven't been updated yet.

That building was formerly the Deaner Dental Institute, and the building was completed in 1923.

https://kchistory.org/image/deaner-den ... ffset%5D=4
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

It could make really cool apartment or even a hip little hotel.

The old buildings that still exist on Linwood are enough to make it really regal once again. We just need to be careful with the design of the infill buildings that get built. (and get rid of all the drive through buildings).
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

$750K to clear way for this. https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... FullText=1
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:09 am The plans for Midtown Plaza Phases 3 and 4 aren't the most exciting but I do like the townhomes on the Pennsylvania side.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Landscraper
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Not dazzling, but it respects the SFH scale of Pennsylvania by stepping down in height and density.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Slightly off topic, but what happened to the west of this project site. That is a massive crater of missing urban fabric. Nearly all of the parcels show as owned by KC Life Insurance Co.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC_Ari wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:29 pm Slightly off topic, but what happened to the west of this project site. That is a massive crater of missing urban fabric. Nearly all of the parcels show as owned by KC Life Insurance Co.
You answered your own question.

This project looks decent for the location. Hope it happens.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Not trying to be confrontational, but a few comments on here that while this is a good project for the site, it lacks excitement. I'm pretty happy with the design, materials and particularly the scale from the townhomes along Penn to the five story building. Curious as to what WOULD be exciting and add some zing to this project?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

What's happening on that first floor? Kind of hard to tell from the renderings but if that's open-air parking garage, that needs to be sent back. That's fine for the back of the building but unacceptable in the front. The rest of it is solid.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The front of the building just faces the rear of the already completed office to apartment conversion facing Broadway. The street in between is more like a private alley as there is no through street continuing it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Fences up at the old Salvation Army building on Linwood set to be torn down. As much as we talked bad about Kathryn Shields on this board, myself included, you could always count on her to fight things like this. Bunch might be the worst councilman I have seen since I've been here. Yes, I mean that. Totally inept. Midtown is worse because of him. Roads are worse, buildings being torn down, kills or almost kills projects along Main that would benefit the neighborhood. Seems more interested in pet bleeding heart projects and bending to KC Tenants. Brutal to hear him speak at council. Can't even speak without a thousands "ums" and sounds like he's apologizing for speaking up and taking the time of the council. Just zero leadership.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:17 pm Fences up at the old Salvation Army building on Linwood set to be torn down. As much as we talked bad about Kathryn Shields on this board, myself included, you could always count on her to fight things like this. Bunch might be the worst councilman I have seen since I've been here. Yes, I mean that. Totally inept. Midtown is worse because of him. Roads are worse, buildings being torn down, kills or almost kills projects along Main that would benefit the neighborhood. Seems more interested in pet bleeding heart projects and bending to KC Tenants. Brutal to hear him speak at council. Can't even speak without a thousands "ums" and sounds like he's apologizing for speaking up and taking the time of the council. Just zero leadership.
Some people view him with respect and think he's a leader. I laugh every time his name is brought up in that manner. The guy is straight out of the movie "idiocracy".
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

im2kull wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:34 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:17 pm Fences up at the old Salvation Army building on Linwood set to be torn down. As much as we talked bad about Kathryn Shields on this board, myself included, you could always count on her to fight things like this. Bunch might be the worst councilman I have seen since I've been here. Yes, I mean that. Totally inept. Midtown is worse because of him. Roads are worse, buildings being torn down, kills or almost kills projects along Main that would benefit the neighborhood. Seems more interested in pet bleeding heart projects and bending to KC Tenants. Brutal to hear him speak at council. Can't even speak without a thousands "ums" and sounds like he's apologizing for speaking up and taking the time of the council. Just zero leadership.
Some people view him with respect and think he's a leader. I laugh every time his name is brought up in that manner. The guy is straight out of the movie "idiocracy".
He is awful it's laughable that people on here like him so much & that he won re-election by a wide margin. Says a lot about the voter base.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:17 pm Fences up at the old Salvation Army building on Linwood set to be torn down.
Oh no! I hadn't heard about a plan to demolish. That is a nice structure. Seems like a logical conversion to apartments or maybe a boutique hotel. Nice large windows. A first level that comes to the sidewalk and looks like it would make great retail space. Just an overall solid presence.

Any word on what would replace it? Nothing better I'm sure.

Linwood was once so grand and we should not allow any further demolitions like this!!

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Midtownkid wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:03 pm Oh no! I hadn't heard about a plan to demolish. That is a nice structure. Seems like a logical conversion to apartments or maybe a boutique hotel. Nice large windows. A first level that comes to the sidewalk and looks like it would make great retail space. Just an overall solid presence.

Any word on what would replace it? Nothing better I'm sure.

Linwood was once so grand and we should not allow any further demolitions like this!!
i assume nothing. Perhaps parking for the Irish Cultural Center or Cristo Rey. I know there are small developers, like Chris Stritzel on here, who want to do new build, something flashy; but buildings like this are SO EASY. It's the best type of development. Big windows, tall floors, utilities all set. Why did no one take a flyer on this building before it went to a demolisher?!?

I also really hate that religious organizations that have been in the neighborhood for a long time don't take any care of who they sell their buldings to. You would think they would care more than about the bottom line and want to leave some type of legacy at least to their time working in the neighborhood.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

This is an abomination.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Already another tear down and vacant lot across the street. Wish MAC had got a hold of this.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

JFC, that is a beautiful building. You could even repurpose that first floor to retail. What in the hell?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

New owner lives in Lenexa.

Kansas 101 Linwood LLC
10951 Lake View Avenue, Lenexa, Kansas 66219.

That address goes to MISH Hospital and Clinics.

It’s a shame to demolish this building. Surely if they wanted to build a hospital clinic here, they could’ve repurposed the building.