World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
rxlexi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by rxlexi » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:53 am

Yeah, I've got to think when you're inclusive of Mexico and Canada, for KC to host any game at all would be a major coup. And not likely.

KanzaSphinx
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KanzaSphinx » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Just so we are all clear, with the expanded field there will be 16 cities out of a possible 23 options. Mexico and Canada each have 3 options so if we just assume all 6 are selected what we are really looking at is 10 US cities picked from a field of 17. So really we just need to be selected over 7 other cities in the US, and no Chicago Minneapolis or PHX is huge for our chances. I doubt TX and FL will get two cities, same with Baltimore/D.C. So that is 3 I think we can safely throw out. That leaves us with 4 cities we would need to beat out and that seems doable IMO.

alejandro46
Pad site
Pad site

Post by alejandro46 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:49 pm

One of our lowest scores in the FIFA review and the biggest feasible improvement KC could make is improving connectivity to the stadiums. I recommended Streetcar expansion in my opinion makes the most sense long term to help develop the east side. Obviously, funding + time frame would be difficulty. Would have to be partially done in parallel to UMKC extension which already faces (federal) funding questions.

Russia had a brief driverless bus route that took guests to and from the stadium:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-in-kazan

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Lol in 8 years? No way. Nope. Don't even dream.

We can satisfy with a bus line for the event.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:00 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:13 pm
Lol in 8 years? No way. Nope. Don't even dream.

We can satisfy with a bus line for the event.
Correct. A higher-quality* BRT route on Linwood/31st from Southwest Blvd to the stadiums can be planned, designed, and built in five years with minimal federal investment.

* Articulated electric buses, 100% level boarding, off-board fare collection, dedicated lanes, adjacent protected bike facility.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Yeah that even seems like a heavy lift and that wouldn't get clear to stadiums I wouldn't think logistically. Feel like best case would be van brunt.