WoF questions...

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

WoF questions...

Post by trailerkid »

I haven't been to World's of Fun in ages. Just wanting to know if anyone thinks it is worth it to get a season pass (around $60, I think). It seems really cheap if you go several times and it is valid at any other Cedar Fair park (Cedar Point, Valley Fair). Is it worth it?

Also, what is the general concensus on WoF? When I compare the park maps to Corporate Flags over StL and Valley Fair in Mpls, WoF seems comparable or better. Those parks have small water parks within them while WoF leaves that for OoF.

Biz Journal reported Cedar Fair is spending $4 million on the park next season. They said they needed the Orient Express land for future developement among other reasons.

Is WoF going in the right direction or is it going downhill? I think it is highly important to have awesome theme park attractions in the metro because they are often the main reason family tourists come to town.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

WoF questions...

Post by QueSi2Opie »

The last time I went to WoF (maybe 3 years ago) the infrastructure of the park itself was lookin' old & raggedy.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

WoF questions...

Post by kcmajik »

my sister and i both have passes. it's actually a really good deal. one season pass is $59 and pays for admission to WOF and OOC on unlimited visitation. i have one because my grandma gave me one every year and i've just continued to get one. ocean's of fun is pretty cool though if you just like to lounge at a pool-there's even a bar. i have no idea what the restrictions are on the passes as far as getting into the other cedar fair parks. i know i went to cedar point in ohio about 3 years ago on memorial day and we used a coke can rebate and i think it was cheaper than worlds of fun. pretty rediculous that worlds of fun rates are anywhere near the neighborhood the cedar point rates are.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

WoF questions...

Post by Missionite »

When Cedar Fair purchased the park from Hunt Midwest in 1995, the park did take a downward turn. But, a couple of years ago, the horrible GM we had left and went to Cedar Point. He cut corners every way he could to save the park money and make himself look good.

That's definitely not the case with the new GM. He's turning things around. The park is slowly looking better and the ride/attraction line up will only improve in the coming years.

Since the new GM's taken over, here's some of the improvements made...

-- Addition of Camp Snoopy in 2001.
-- Addition of ThunderHawk in 2002.
-- Addition of Paradise Falls at OOF in 2003.
-- Addition of Spinning Dragons in 2004.
-- Expansion of HalloWeekends events
-- Addition of haunted houses to HalloWeekends.
-- Infrastucture improvements.
-- New paint and building improvements.
-- Ripping out of nasty asphalt and replacing with cooler concrete.
-- Merchandising improvements
-- Landscaping improvements
-- More admission discounts

Believe me...in 2005, WOF will be really jumping. While the park did take out the Orient Express this season, it was needed. The ride was in really bad shape and it cost way too much to maintain. That land will sit empty this season for an addition to be named in 2005.

Spinning Dragons will be located in the area where the old Dive Show/Dolphin Pool was. While it is aimed at families, it should be fun as well. A similar coaster to Spinning Dragons is being built in Germany. Take a look at some of the photos at http://www.onride.de/viewtopic.php?t=3422

Other not-too-known additions for 2004 include a "Fright Zone" area during HalloWeekends, a new Halloween show in the Moulin Rouge during HalloWeekends and yet another haunted house (rumored to wind through the Orient Express' old station and queue area).

As for the question about season passes...Worlds of Fun's passes are some of the cheapest in the industry. Two visits to the park and it pays for itself. Its also good at Cedar Point (Sandusky), Valleyfair! (Mnpls), Knott's Berry Farm (LA) Dorney Park (Allentown, PA) and Michigan's Adventure (Muskegon). I've had one to WOF for the past five years and definitely got my money's worth...even if I just choose to go for a couple of hours in the evening after work.

Like I said...good things are on the horizon for WOF. Stay tuned. :D

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

WoF questions...

Post by KCK »

I used to have a season passport as a kid and we went maybe 10 times a year. Back then it was $19.99 a visit, it would have been $200. The season pass was $40
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

WoF questions...

Post by GRID »

Add a new major thrill ride (one that will get national attention) and combine WoF and OoF into one park and it will be a top park again.