OFFICIAL - Antioch Crossing

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL: Antioch Crossing

Post by Joe Smith »

NorthlandGuy wrote: Antioch and Vivion was the crossroads of the Northland for 30+ years. For the last 15 years or so not so much.
I too am in the architecture/design field and live up north. I really hope the new development attempts to intergrate the neighborhoods, creating cross streets and multiple building uses.
Hopefully no big boxes....but yes, a Costco up north would be nice.
I'd love a Costco up north. Sam's is ok, but it's no Costco. They should of put the Costco next to Lowe's on N. Oak. We got an Office Max instead.

As for the Crossroads up north. She's correct. When I was growing up in Starvin' Parvin Estates, 72nd St. might as well been St. Joe. It was considered to be BFE, as far as we were concerned.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Menards or Jack in the Box or Ross Dress for Lees maybe.
Last edited by mgsports on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

mgsports wrote: Menards or Jack in the Box or Ross Dress for Lees maybe.
Jack in the Box? Really? There was at least one I can remember. In Claycomo. Been gone for about 25 years at least.

Menard's? WTF! Isn't that place quite paylessy and way too St. Joe-y like?

I would like to see a Wendy's and a Popeye's on that lot behind Van Chevrolet on Old Pike Rd. Or at least a Wendy's and Popeye's west of N. Oak around the Englewood Rd. area.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

AllThingsKC wrote: Anyone know of a way to get in the mall prior to demolition (preferably legally)?  Apparently that was possible prior to the demolition of Bannister Mall.

I'd like to see some last photos of it inside & out.
Found this.  Some pics from while it was still open in 2003 and 2005.  Not a whole lot (or any) traffic.

http://www.labelscar.com/missouri/antioch-center
Northlander
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Northlander »

Joe Smith wrote: I'd love a Costco up north. Sam's is ok, but it's no Costco. They should of put the Costco next to Lowe's on N. Oak. We got an Office Max instead.
I talked to someone from Costco last year and they were fairly emphatic that they weren't even remotely considering placing a location in the Northland.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Antioch Center

Post by DaveKCMO »

does the northland really need any more big box stores?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote: does the northland the kansas city area america really need any more big box stores?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

As a northlander(Briarcliff) I do desire a Costco at Antioch and maybe a few mid range dining options. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

That location should be developed into mixed use focused on RESIDENTIAL with some very local retail just like the Bannister Mall and Mission Mall sites should.

There is no need for new big box development there.  That new project at North Oak and Vivion added all the area can absorb.

Residential should be the primary component of these projects, not big box retail and massive parking lots.  It's much more worth any public subsidy.

Regardless, the mall should not be torn down years before anything will be built there.  That is getting annoying.

BTW, I'm sure the Northland can support a Costco, but let them open in a non tif development someplace.
Last edited by GRID on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Costco will choose a location further north anyway, probably along I-29 between Barry Rd and KCI.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, they should develop that parcel into high-density, pedestrian-oriented residential focused on seniors.
There is no fifth destination.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

moderne wrote: As a northlander(Briarcliff) I do desire a Costco at Antioch and maybe a few mid range dining options. 
don't you have "mid range dining" 5 minutes away downtown?
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

K
trailerkid wrote: don't you have "mid range dining" 5 minutes away downtown?
I don't think you have a grasp on what is really important to quite a lot of folks who are native Northlanders.

They don't want to cross the river unless it's a life-or-death emergency.

I'm being very serious.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Going DT is fine with me.  I just want to conserve gas.  It is a half hour walk for me to get to public transportation.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

AllThingsKC wrote: Anyone know of a way to get in the mall prior to demolition (preferably legally)?  Apparently that was possible prior to the demolition of Bannister Mall.

I'd like to see some last photos of it inside & out.
I would LOVE to get inside one last time. I grew up in Gladstone so spent a lot of time there over the years for various reasons...violin lessons at the music store, dance lessons in the basement underneath the old Adler's store (was also a salon down there where got our hair cut), gymnastics at Creative Arts Academy, the library when it was both in the basement when the mall was still open air (I think it was where the Arthur Murray space was later) and then later in the old TG&Y (??) space on the back. So it was a lot more than a shopping center for me as a kid.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I still don't understand why they need to tear the mall down. Why can't they just build residential apartment towers and streetscapes around it and put parking underground? Big Box stores could go into the old Sears and Burlington Coat Factory spaces. There is a great need for pedestrian-oriented senior housing in older suburban neighborhoods. The enclosed mall is a good space for seniors to walk safely in really hot and cold weather. Add a pre-school, an outdoor park, gym, community center, and a health clinic. Put in a buffet or cafeteria to service the seniors. Set aside a couple of parcels for churches.  Build a nursing home onsite with an assisted living community.  Hell, even seek our a funeral home.
There is no fifth destination.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Antioch Center developers will wait for state credits, may scrap TIF plan
Spencer Thomson of Husch Blackwell LLP said that approval of the credits could come ?any day? but that developers are hesitant to start demolition until they get the credits.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
jmc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jmc »

As a layperson, this is all that I see:

"Demolition of Antioch Center...appears on hold "

Grrr... I guess I'm not surprised, though.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Antioch Center demolition hits another snag: injunction
Lone tenant Sears has received a preliminary injunction against developer Antioch Redevelopment Partners LLC.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Thank you for posting this, KCMax. I must look at that "eyesore" (as referenced in the article) frequently, since I live out north.

What does "injunction" mean in this case? I assume it means that the new owners cannot demolish the property for a while. But for how long? I'm sure Sears likes being the only big store in the area. I do go there every blue moon or so, and the place is not overrun with customers.

Maybe the owners could turn the whole place into a park and leave the Sears box standing. Whatever works. What is there now simply does not.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)