OFFICIAL - Antioch Crossing

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Antioch Crossing

Post by nota »

It's interesting that the thing hinges on Sears of all places.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

There seems to be an excess of empty retail space in the area. I would rather see fewer sites that are at capacity than the situation that currently exists, even if it means fewer retailers. If that involves the leveling of Antioch Mall, then so be it. If enough of the former mall businesses move to surrounding strip malls or to sites up north in Gladstone, then so much the better.
A fool and your money are soon united.
Algernon
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Algernon »

I remember when it was an open air mall, I always thought it was kinda cool.  It seemed to me, with my six year old mind, a shame to enclose it and make it just like every other mall out there - that was the beginning of the downfall of Antioch Mall.  The only reason I ever went to Antioch over Metro North in high shcool, was that it was a lot closer and I could usually catch a ride there from someone.  I'm all for making that area into something people want to go to, but these days, they really should try to differentiate themselves a little.  Making it just like ever other glorified strip mall is a mistake, why would people go there over any other location, besides those in it's immediate vicinity. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Latest On Antioch Center

Post by nota »

Algernon wrote: Making it just like ever other glorified strip mall is a mistake, why would people go there over any other location, besides those in it's immediate vicinity. 
It's the "lipstick on a pig" theory. Put enough lipstick on it and no one will think its a pig.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Where was the Macy's located in AN?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I say move Sears to Metro North if Anitoch is just turning into another strip mall. I believe Dillard's owns the old Montgomery Ward and is just sitting on it so no one else moves in. That, or maybe Sears should begin talks with Shoal Creek about putting a new urban designed store there.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Macy's used to be where Burlington Coat Factory is now.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I just don't think Antioch could be successful, no matter how its designed.  I'm really getting worried with how much retail is sprouting up in the Northland.  We have Zona Rosa, Shops at Boardwalk, the area at I-35 and MO-152 (Liberty), Tuilleries, Rennaisance, and who knows how many others, all opening up within a year or so of each other.  I personally think the whole area is already getting oversaturated, which means we'll start seeing closures in the next couple years.

About the only remaining retail I could see making sense, is getting some big names that don't currently have stores in KC, that would potentially draw shoppers from outside the Northland.  As it is now, all the shops are just duplicates of the same stuff thats been around for years south of the river.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

I think the present population and the future growth will easily support these projects.  I can see that I will shamefully become less "KC" worldly (if there is such a thing) because the Northland has begun and will continue to offer the items that I have always had to drive elsewhere in the metro to obtain.

I really don't want to be on of those south of downtown and JOCO types that have never crossed the river or have only been as far east as the sports complex.  I work with many folks who are very sheltered in their KC lifestyles.  None, not one of them know of any of the great things happening downtown. They know nothing beyond their local strip center, grocery store and maybe the Plaza area once or twice a year.

Is this normal?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

zlohban wrote: I think the present population and the future growth will easily support these projects.  I can see that I will shamefully become less "KC" worldly (if there is such a thing) because the Northland has begun and will continue to offer the items that I have always had to drive elsewhere in the metro to obtain.

I really don't want to be on of those south of downtown and JOCO types that have never crossed the river or have only been as far east as the sports complex.  I work with many folks who are very sheltered in their KC lifestyles.  None, not one of them know of any of the great things happening downtown. They know nothing beyond their local strip center, grocery store and maybe the Plaza area once or twice a year.

Is this normal?
I suspect it has something to do with how geographically sprawled and spread out this metro is, plus the fact that a vast majority of the downtown street activity from 9 to 5 weekdays disappears as people abandon it for the perceived comfort of their quaint little sprawlburbs way out yonder.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

zlohban wrote: Is this normal?
For KC, yes, it is normal.  That was one of the first things I noticed my first year of living in KC (2001).  That lots of people never get out of their little suburbia area.  I like driving around the metro and going to different places.  But apparently I'm in the minority for KC.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

It's very typical for KC, especially in Joco because it is so self-contained.  I'm not bashing, I'm just saying that you can live/work/shop in Joco and have little need to visit the city or the other suburbs.  But people in the other suburbs do have to visit Joco sometimes for work or shopping.

FWIW, myself and many other Midtowners and Downtowners do visit the Northland quite a lot.  Many of us find it much easier and less congested than the Kansas side or Eastern Jack, for that occaisional suburban shopping pilgramage.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

dangerboy wrote: It's very typical for KC, especially in Joco because it is so self-contained.  I'm not bashing, I'm just saying that you can live/work/shop in Joco and have little need to visit the city or the other suburbs.  But people in the other suburbs do have to visit Joco sometimes for work or shopping.

FWIW, myself and many other Midtowners and Downtowners do visit the Northland quite a lot.  Many of us find it much easier and less congested than the Kansas side or Eastern Jack, for that occaisional suburban shopping pilgramage.
Not to mention that the sales taxes and such do benefit your area if you shop in KCMO north of the river and of course the state taxes regardless of where you are on the Missouri side of the metro.
Electric_Cactus
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Antioch Center redesign

Post by Electric_Cactus »

There is now a white banner hanging over the parking garage entrance of the Sears at Antioch Center that reads, "Here to stay...Serving the Northland for 35 years." I talked to the guy that works in the GNC at Antioch this weekend; he said he doesn't think the mall is renewing any leases. I guess Sears intends to keep it's store even if the surrounding mall is bulldozed.
"Quiet people aren't the only ones who don't say much."
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Electric_Cactus wrote: There is now a white banner hanging over the parking garage entrance of the Sears at Antioch Center that reads, "Here to stay...Serving the Northland for 35 years." I talked to the guy that works in the GNC at Antioch this weekend; he said he doesn't think the mall is renewing any leases. I guess Sears intends to keep it's store even if the surrounding mall is bulldozed.
Sear's will be an anchor of the new development....the question is whether or not Sears stays open as the project is constructed or if they close for 18-24 months and then re-emerge in a new shop. 
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Sear's will be an anchor of the new development....the question is whether or not Sears stays open as the project is constructed or if they close for 18-24 months and then re-emerge in a new shop. 
A possibility is that Sears may want to relocate to the more prominent south side of the property where Antioch, Vivion, and Chouteau intersect. That way, they could stay where they are as the rest of the mall is demolished and their new store is built.
A fool and your money are soon united.
Electric_Cactus
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Electric_Cactus »

My impression, from the rep that I spoke to in the GNC, is that Sears intends to retain it's current building, while the rest of the mall will likely be demolished. Granted, this guy might not be a great source since he doesn't even work for Sears, but I'm willing to bet word travels fast in a mall like that, where there are only a few tenants left.
"Quiet people aren't the only ones who don't say much."
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Electric_Cactus wrote: My impression, from the rep that I spoke to in the GNC, is that Sears intends to retain it's current building, while the rest of the mall will likely be demolished. Granted, this guy might not be a great source since he doesn't even work for Sears, but I'm willing to bet word travels fast in a mall like that, where there are only a few tenants left.
Sears probably owns their building.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

From today's City Council report:

050833: Accepting the recommendations of the Tax Increment Financing Commission as to the Antioch Mall Tax Increment Financing Plan; approving the Antioch Mall Tax Increment Financing Plan; and designating a Redevelopment Area.

050834: Approving and designating Redevelopment Project 1 of the Antioch Mall Tax Increment Financing Plan as a Redevelopment Project and adopting tax increment financing therefore and recognizing Eastbourne Investments, Ltd. as the developer for Project 1.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The developer is RED, the same folks that brought us Village West and SummitWoods...  But at least the city is going to funnel some of that TIF money into repairing the adjacent neighorhboods and housing stock.