Streetcar to the riverfront

Transportation topics in KC
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Streetcar to the riverfront

Post by KC_Ari »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:44 pm I heard that they are extending the streetcar to the riverfront! Sorry if wrong thread.
The actual streetcar extension is meh. But unlocking the funds for the dedicated pedestrian/bicycle bridge is huge. The current connections are really limiting and indirect.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Considering the backlash to the KC Current Parking situation, this can't come soon enough.

Do we have more details on the Ped bridge? Timeline for that?
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:37 pm Do we have more details on the Ped bridge? Timeline for that?
Waiting for a matching grant it seems like the City is expecting, this resolution should pass today. https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... %7CText%7C
Expressing the City Council’s support for the City’s grant application for the Grand Boulevard Bicycle-Pedestrian Bridge Project in the amount of $9,761,208.00, which would require local matching funds up to the amount of $2,440,302.00.

WHEREAS, this project is already included as a part of the City’s Capital Improvements Plan and the project status is in the “design complete” phase; and
WHEREAS, this project is anticipated to be completed prior to the 2026 World Cup events and will be available as a transportation route for events at the Riverfront; and

WHEREAS, local matching funds are required up to the amount of $2,440,302.00 for this grant, and this project intends to explore potential “in-kind” sources of local match funds, including right-of-way;
EDIT: Going for a USDOT RAISE grant (https://www.transportation.gov/RAISEgrants) which looks to close applications Feb 28, announced by end of June... "Still quite a few steps in the process to go."
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Ground Breaking took place on Friday, March 1st. Timeline is projected for early 2026 opening. Unsure if that can be sped up at all. Seems the Grand viaduct might provide a little more difficulty than initially anticipated.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

How so?

Also did they confirm Ped bridge timeline as well?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:57 am How so?

Also did they confirm Ped bridge timeline as well?
Depth of track slab. They have the box style tram track, similar to the initial segment, which necessitated more shallow track slab.

From who I had spoken with, the Ped bridge is being undertaken by the City, and is not directly tied tot his project. It was in Council a week or two back if I’m not mistaken
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This project's struggle more closely emulates other US streetcar projects (precarious funding and financing), but glad it's finally happening. It will complement the Main Street Extension nicely. Hopefully PortKC can live up to its obligations since this small segment is not inside the TDD. It should have been in that district, but that's a story for the streetcar book I'll write when I retire...
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:33 pm This project's struggle more closely emulates other US streetcar projects (precarious funding and financing), but glad it's finally happening. It will complement the Main Street Extension nicely. Hopefully PortKC can live up to its obligations since this small segment is not inside the TDD. It should have been in that district, but that's a story for the streetcar book I'll write when I retire...
Can I pre-order a signed copy?
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

bspecht wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:36 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:37 pm Do we have more details on the Ped bridge? Timeline for that?
Waiting for a matching grant it seems like the City is expecting, this resolution should pass today. https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... %7CText%7C
Expressing the City Council’s support for the City’s grant application for the Grand Boulevard Bicycle-Pedestrian Bridge Project in the amount of $9,761,208.00, which would require local matching funds up to the amount of $2,440,302.00.

WHEREAS, this project is already included as a part of the City’s Capital Improvements Plan and the project status is in the “design complete” phase; and
WHEREAS, this project is anticipated to be completed prior to the 2026 World Cup events and will be available as a transportation route for events at the Riverfront; and

WHEREAS, local matching funds are required up to the amount of $2,440,302.00 for this grant, and this project intends to explore potential “in-kind” sources of local match funds, including right-of-way;
EDIT: Going for a USDOT RAISE grant (https://www.transportation.gov/RAISEgrants) which looks to close applications Feb 28, announced by end of June... "Still quite a few steps in the process to go."
Ped bridge going for more grants via MARC... https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... FullText=1
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I honestly want the ped bridge more than the streetcar
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm I honestly want the ped bridge more than the streetcar
Too bad, you get an 18th & Vine parking garage instead. 🫠