U.S. 71 (3 stop) "Expressway"

Transportation topics in KC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

U.S. 71 (3 stop) "Expressway"

Post by trailerkid »

Although 71 was a literal replacement for Prospect, can't you argue that grand roadway The Paseo is what really got replaced. The Paseo is great and I'd rather take that than the stoplight expressway anyway.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

My 2 cents on 71 Hwy....

Post by AllThingsKC »

Ok look, this is what I think of the 3 stops along 71... I live in Grandview and work in Liberty. I love going to the Plaza or even downtown. I take many friends to KCI. So, if I want to go anywhere in this city, I usally have to take 71 highway.

My problem isn't with the run-down houses and business. Why? Because more and more, they are fixing those up!

My problem isn't with the 3 stop lights. Why? Because I'm all for taking time to "stop and smell the roses," and very rarely am I ever stopped at ALL 3 lights!

My problem is with the major congestion/back-ups they cause!!! It is a pain in the neck for Southland and JoCo drivers!! Not only for rush hour or when there's an accident, but good luck trying to get through when there's a major city event (ie, Plaza Lights on Thanksgiving night, etc.) Plus, since I live in Grandview, I also have the JOY of dealing with the Grandview Triangle!!!

Time it takes me to get to Liberty taking 71 (in rush hour): 1 hr, 15 min.

Time it takes me to get to Liberty taking 435 (in rush hour): 35min.

So, which do you think I take every day? (And I HATE taking 435, but the MAJOR back-ups on 71 leave me no choice)

Now, in the middle of the day, I have no problems taking 71, and I would much rather take 71 over I-435 (even though I-435 is normally faster) because I love going past Downtown!
KC is the way to be!
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: U.S. 71 (3 stop) "Expressway"

Post by scooterj »

Looks like the stoplights may go away after all.    The very neighborhood groups that demanded them 20 years ago are now calling them a mistake due to all the deaths and serious injuries they have caused. 

Residents Want Stoplights Removed Along Watkins Drive
Accidents Along Highway 71 Section Cause Concern

POSTED: 8:14 pm CDT April 11, 2005
UPDATED: 8:22 pm CDT April 11, 2005

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Some residents are pushing to get rid of stoplights along Bruce R. Watkins Drive.

The stoplights were court-ordered in response to a federal lawsuit filed by neighborhood groups when the parkway was built. The lights were part of a compromise, designed to give drivers access to businesses along Prospect Avenue.

When Denise Hayes opened Niecie's Restaurant at 59th Street and Prospect Avenue in 1985, Watkins Drive was little more than a dirt road.

"It wasn't there when we opened up, it was just Prospect," Hayes said.

Now, the drive is a high-speed parkway. Due to a high number of accidents along Watkins, which is a part of Highway 71, the community that once asked for the stoplights is now asking for them to go away.

Hayes is one of the residents who want three intersections with stoplights to be converted into overpasses.

"I think it would help in terms of all the accidents going on over there," Hayes said.

Missouri State Rep. Crag Bland supports the overpass idea. He introduced House Bill 223, which asks for a feasibility study of adding overpasses at the intersections.

"There's been a lot of accidents, so anything that can bring more safety to our roads," Bland said.

Bland said many neighborhood residents have told him they support the overpass idea.

"We're all behind him in this effort," said resident Charlene Burditt. "What I'm interested in is avoiding too many accidents in that area -- that's the important part, as far as I'm concerned."

Bland's bill goes to a transportation committee Wednesday

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/pol ... etail.html
Looks like the designers were indeed wise to design these portions of the highway so that the existing lanes can become ramps/outer roads while overpasses go into the median, anticipating this eventual mind-changing.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

It's gonna be hard to find the money to build these overpasses.  The city has a $20 million deficit and MoDOT isn't exactly rich.  Althougth the highway was built to accomdate the overpasses, I've heard that the state will still need to acquire a few more properties/houses in order to build them.  I bet it will be at least five years before anything happens.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Can you imagine the backup at the triangle (especially during the reconstruction) if those stoplights weren’t there. All of those lights slow and spread traffic enough that you don't have a repeat of 435 east bound from 4 to 6pm every day.

Once the triangle is fixed then it's probably OK to put the overpasses in on 71 but until then it has probably saved us from having triangle backups all the way to Gregory.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Can you imagine the backup at the triangle (especially during the reconstruction) if those stoplights weren’t there. All of those lights slow and spread traffic enough that you don't have a repeat of 435 east bound from 4 to 6pm every day.

Once the triangle is fixed then it's probably OK to put the overpasses in on 71 but until then it has probably saved us from having triangle backups all the way to Gregory.
Yea, but think about it.  Once the Triangle is fixed you are going to triple the traffic heading north.  Not only will the stop light be a problem, but the stupid highway is only 4 lanes between 75th and 95th.  Northbound 71 will be ten lanes through the Triangle and will merge to four.  The whole stretch between 95th and Brush Creek is going to be a mess.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

I think he means southbound on 71 going into the Triangle. The lights slow down traffic coming from downtown so that it doesn't clog up the Triangle. Right?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

GRID wrote: Yea, but think about it.  Once the Triangle is fixed you are going to triple the traffic heading north.  Not only will the stop light be a problem, but the stupid highway is only 4 lanes between 75th and 95th.  Northbound 71 will be ten lanes through the Triangle and will merge to four.  The whole stretch between 95th and Brush Creek is going to be a mess.
I think that was another part of the compromise, making that segment a smaller parkway instead of a giant freeway. 
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

One other thing to consider when talking about this, is the proposed I-49 expansion to connect New Orleans and Kansas City. When/if this gets done, they want  71hwy to become part of I-49 which will require upgrading it to interstate standards all the way to downtown, which would obviously mean removing those 3 lights.

Regardless, as I've said in multiple threads on this forum, and others, the expressway section of this highway causes more problems then good, and it can and will be eventually removed.

Is there any way to bundle this into the Triangle reconstruction budget ?
Last edited by Beltonhawk on Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Beltonhawk wrote: One other thing to consider when talking about this, is the proposed I-49 expansion to connect New Orleans and Kansas City. When/if this gets done, they want  71hwy to become part of I-49 which will require upgrading it to interstate standards all the way to downtown, which would obviously mean removing those 3 lights.

Regardless, as I've said in multiple threads on this forum, and others, the expressway section of this highway causes more problems then good, and it can and will be eventually removed.

Is there any way to bundle this into the Triangle reconstruction budget project?
The stuff I've read about I-49 mentioned the highway would terminate at I-435, i.e. they haven't  planned on removing the lights and signing I-49 all the way to Downtown.
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kurtiebird »

I just want to know why the southeast corner of the city has always been treated like a red-headed stepchild when it comes to highway access. Every other direction that leads into the city has a bonafide interstate leading all the way into downtown.

:x
BBTSB
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I find it ironic that the very same people who bithced and moaned and sued in order to get these stop lights out in are now saying that they should be removed. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

The stuff I've read about I-49 mentioned the highway would terminate at I-435, i.e. they haven't  planned on removing the lights and signing I-49 all the way to Downtown.
This is what I'd read, here: http://www.aaroads.com/high-priority/corr01.html
In the Kansas City metropolitan area, the corridor would include the segments of the new U.S. 71 freeway and expressway now under construction or proposed. This roadway, called Watkins Drive, would run from Interstate 435 north to Interstate 70.
They do mention that it's not guaranteed, however.
I just want to know why the southeast corner of the city has always been treated like a red-headed stepchild when it comes to highway access. Every other direction that leads into the city has a bonafide interstate leading all the way into downtown.
KB, you know I feel your pain.  :D    Give it a few years though, and it'll all be good. Triangle will be done, 71 will be done, you'll be in your new HQ, and Belton will have a real electronics store and an Italian Restaurant!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

solution:  don't live in Belton, Grandview, or Raymore/Peculiar.  8)
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kurtiebird »

Or ride the bus. I don't even notice if there's a traffic jam now.

8)

BH, don't tease me now. Add in a decent movie theater, and that's my dream Belton right there. Somebody should bulldoze that POS theater we have now.
BBTSB
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

chrizow wrote: solution: don't live in Belton, Grandview, or Raymore/Peculiar. 8)
.....or know people who live in Belton, Grandview, or Raymore/Peculiar, or visit Belton, Grandview, or Raymore/Peculiar, or drive through Belton, Grandview, or Raymore/Peculiar, etc...
KC is the way to be!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

MoDOT just released their next wave of Amendment 3 projects for the KC area... Paseo Bridge(s), 7 Hwy expansion, Choteau Trafficway, 150 Hwy, and 45 Hwy. Looks like 71 Hwy stop lights will remain for at least a few more years.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Tony Ortega has story in the Pitch with some history of the road and some background on the new push to remove the lights.  He mentions a minimum of $75 million for bridges and ramps at the three intersections.  That's about a third what the entire Grand Triangle reconstruction will cost.

http://pitch.com/issues/2005-05-26/news/strip.html
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

I saw that....$75M seems incredibly high.... :shock:
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

Save some money and give the "Round-About" the ultimate test, UK freeways use them, semi-trucks and all.  It would be a great place to stick another fountain or trice.