Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by moderne »

It's becoming a Blade Runner world.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The lyric sign is more gimmicky than a video board imo
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:33 pm The lyric sign is more gimmicky than a video board imo
Way more, it looks dumb and kind of ruins the aesthetics of the tower.

I really liked the map idea that was in the renderings. I don't understand why they changed it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:33 pm The lyric sign is more gimmicky than a video board imo
+1
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It does look dumb. Like an elementary school poster. If it is not going to be a visual art piece, just wording, at least make the font and arrangement interesting or beautiful.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

"Art is in the eye of the beholder".

I don't love it either but I'm sure it will change to something else or a digital screen.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:01 pm "Art is in the eye of the beholder".

I don't love it either but I'm sure it will change to something else or a digital screen.
Most beholders are not finding this one to be art.
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Post by w00lyb00ger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:09 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:17 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:11 am I’m not sure why that “gimmick” couldn’t fly here. Lots of lively places in the world have video billboards
I agree, I’d love to have video boards. Would make it so cool.
Times Square is a mess all around. Was disgusted by it when I visited NYC and vowed that if something similar ever started appearing in St. Louis (when I lived there), or in KC, I’d be vehemently opposed to it and would become the biggest NIMBY around. Big, LED billboards shining advertisements for fast food joints, soda and beer companies, and a variety of performances (some good, some lame), is something meant for NYC and not KC. The signs at P&L are already an annoyance. The entire district would be, in my opinion, ruined by these billboards. Especially the highway park. I rather enjoy a neighborhood and park without having advertisements jammed into my eyes by bright screens. Those trucks that drive around with advertisements are stupid too. Ban those as well.
I’m in favor of it. Gives the appearance of a modern city. Bring on the video boards!
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Once there is a park over 670 I think the lyric sign will be a perfect background for tourists to take a picture.

KCDowntown

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Just know when the day comes, I’ll potentially be the only one voicing extreme opposition to wanting the city to be more like the clusterfuck that is New York City. We can do so much better and more to “feel big city” than some LED billboards showcasing content that 99% of people don’t care about.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:03 pm

Is your data from this forum? That's the thing, it is art. Even if people don't like it, it's still art.

I don't think it ruins the building and it's premium signage or advertising space, so they probably went cheap and quick as a placeholder. Buy themselves time to sell that space.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:47 pm Just know when the day comes, I’ll potentially be the only one voicing extreme opposition to wanting the city to be more like the clusterfuck that is New York City. We can do so much better and more to “feel big city” than some LED billboards showcasing content that 99% of people don’t care about.
So you want developers to invest billions and not use all the options available to them to make money off the investment? I don't want downtown to look like Times Square per say, but digital LED boards and huge advertising displays are here to stay. It's also impressive to visitors when they come into downtown and see something they're not used to.

This is like saying you don't want the new baseball stadium to have led ribbon boards because you prefer older, traditional baseball and not the corporate version it has become. This is the way. Tasteful LED billboards can be additive to downtown without going overboard.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Got a hard hat tour yesterday. Stunning. No notes.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:53 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:47 pm Just know when the day comes, I’ll potentially be the only one voicing extreme opposition to wanting the city to be more like the clusterfuck that is New York City. We can do so much better and more to “feel big city” than some LED billboards showcasing content that 99% of people don’t care about.
So you want developers to invest billions and not use all the options available to them to make money off the investment? I don't want downtown to look like Times Square per say, but digital LED boards and huge advertising displays are here to stay. It's also impressive to visitors when they come into downtown and see something they're not used to.

This is like saying you don't want the new baseball stadium to have led ribbon boards because you prefer older, traditional baseball and not the corporate version it has become. This is the way. Tasteful LED billboards can be additive to downtown without going overboard.
I’m annoyed by LED ribbon screens at every stadium I’ve gone to as well, so yes. This is what I’m saying. Revenue can be generated by filling retail/restaurant spaces, office space, apartments/condos or seats (entertainment and sports venues). Advertising billboard revenue should only be used as an absolute last resort. Tasteful LED billboards or not, they’re a cancer to the eyes and the urban experience and should be eradicated for the sake of aesthetics. More art walls and murals. Less advertising… everywhere.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

You know that there was a time when billboards were hand painted pieces of art on walls all across America. Time, thought and effort was put into them. Many of these still exist as ghost signs, and they tell a story of the past. What type of products were being marketed back then, the types of businesses that existed, and prices. They had soul. LED billboards are soulless and forgettable.

And in a time when our cities are being pumped full of soulless glass and metal boxes, I think we can do far better than wanting LED billboards to sprout up all over the place. It makes our cities feel less unique and more corporate. A big bland world.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:00 pm

I’m annoyed by LED ribbon screens at every stadium I’ve gone to as well, so yes. This is what I’m saying. Revenue can be generated by filling retail/restaurant spaces, office space, apartments/condos or seats (entertainment and sports venues). Advertising billboard revenue should only be used as an absolute last resort. Tasteful LED billboards or not, they’re a cancer to the eyes and the urban experience and should be eradicated for the sake of aesthetics. More art walls and murals. Less advertising… everywhere.
Downtown was once filled with vibrant bright eletric signage and advertisement
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

langosta wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:07 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:00 pm

Downtown was once filled with vibrant bright eletric signage and advertisement
And most of those signs were colorful and playful. They had thought put into them and took time to install. Western Auto being the primary example. That’s an art piece and icon, something LED screens will never be.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:49 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:03 pm

Is your data from this forum? That's the thing, it is art. Even if people don't like it, it's still art.

I don't think it ruins the building and it's premium signage or advertising space, so they probably went cheap and quick as a placeholder. Buy themselves time to sell that space.
No its from my downtowner friends, relatives, and passerbys at the site
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't think it needs to be a digital sign. Like I said, I liked the map of the urban core of KC. It looked stylish in a classy way.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:35 pm
I don't think it needs to be a digital sign. Like I said, I liked the map of the urban core of KC. It looked stylish in a classy way.
Exactly. Take that map of urban core KC and run neon lights of differing colors on different major thoroughfares. It would be a fun addition. A public art piece that relates more locally. While the lyrics are ok, they would've been better if stylized differently (as someone else said).