Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KC_Ari wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:27 pm Is there just the one retail bay? Or multiple?
Multiple. One on each side of the new building. Even if a bank is one end, they can still put a restaurant on the other end.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:10 am
langosta wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:14 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:16 pm
Ugghh, more banks. Zero benefit for the neighborhood.
It’s better than yet another empty retail storefront and jobs are jobs. Imho these downtown banks are a really good sign and have led to downtown sponsorships and greater involvement.
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a live human using a downtown bank
I work for Commerce, my office is in the old Trust Building. The bank in the Walnut Lobby had clients in it everyday. They closed it and opened a new branch on corner of 10th & Main. They do get used
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I use both the PNC and Commerce branches downtown often. I like doing my most important banking and visits in-person instead of virtually or through an app. Having someone I can ask questions to about an issue that arises is helpful.

For the 3 Light space, I could see Chase or FNBO going in. Both are growing their local presence a bit.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:06 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:10 am
langosta wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:14 pm

It’s better than yet another empty retail storefront and jobs are jobs. Imho these downtown banks are a really good sign and have led to downtown sponsorships and greater involvement.
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a live human using a downtown bank
I work for Commerce, my office is in the old Trust Building. The bank in the Walnut Lobby had clients in it everyday. They closed it and opened a new branch on corner of 10th & Main. They do get used
What do they use the lobby of the Commerce Trust Building for now?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:09 pm I use both the PNC and Commerce branches downtown often. I like doing my most important banking and visits in-person instead of virtually or through an app. Having someone I can ask questions to about an issue that arises is helpful.

For the 3 Light space, I could see Chase or FNBO going in. Both are growing their local presence a bit.
I don't have a problem with banks having locations downtown and I don't think kcp does either. Just the location.

This tells me their commercial renting is pretty rough. Which is understandable, but not fun.

Banks are reliable though! They pay rent!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:07 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:09 pm I use both the PNC and Commerce branches downtown often. I like doing my most important banking and visits in-person instead of virtually or through an app. Having someone I can ask questions to about an issue that arises is helpful.

I don't have a problem with banks having locations downtown and I don't think kcp does either. Just the location.

This tells me their commercial renting is pretty rough. Which is understandable, but not fun.

Staff at the Plaza capital one report they are not looking at a downtown location at this time. rules them out
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:22 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:08 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:48 am Verification that they'll never make everyone happy.
Does another bank make anybody happy (except those getting the rent money)?

Doesn't even produce sales tax income for the city. It's just the lowest of the low for all interested parties.
Well, they could have opened up without a tenant and held out for something that would make this forum happier but then they're accused of not being good at leasing.
This forum is a good representation of the urban neighborhood. Do you think any 3L renter is going to be super excited for Bank of the West to open up downstairs? It's just not an amenity. I'd say that for the bank at 10th and Main, 14th, or 16th, or 19th. It might as well be empty. Cordish signing a bank doesn't show they are good at leasing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:07 am

Correct. Banks have their place but this space was once rumored for an urban target and now we're down to just another bank who is there as it's good advertising on the streetcar line. Great for Cordish to get a rentpayer in there but man doesn't do much for the neighborhood. If you DO like to have a branch downtown for your bank, there were already plenty of options and easy to switch banks now a days.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

When was this rumored for urban target? It’s orders of magnitudes smaller then any Urban Target I’ve been to
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

langosta wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:55 am When was this rumored for urban target? It’s orders of magnitudes smaller then any Urban Target I’ve been to
"target" is sprinkled throughout this thread and others discussing this building. Obviously now looking at the unfinished space, one wouldn't have fit in what was created.

Either way the point is a bank doesn't add to the P&L district or downtown neighborhood as a whole for a new amenity. Right on the streetcar stop and future park and in the most organized downtown entertainment district, you'd think we could have done better here.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:33 am
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:08 pm

Does another bank make anybody happy (except those getting the rent money)?

Doesn't even produce sales tax income for the city. It's just the lowest of the low for all interested parties.
Well, they could have opened up without a tenant and held out for something that would make this forum happier but then they're accused of not being good at leasing.
This forum is a good representation of the urban neighborhood. Do you think any 3L renter is going to be super excited for Bank of the West to open up downstairs? It's just not an amenity. I'd say that for the bank at 10th and Main, 14th, or 16th, or 19th. It might as well be empty. Cordish signing a bank doesn't show they are good at leasing.
Ground-level retail spaces within residential buildings are not necessarily designed solely for the convenience of residents. Banks, for instance, make excellent tenants and continue to be in demand, despite anecdotal suggestions to the contrary.

A few of you need to put an end to the baseless debate surrounding Cordish's leasing capabilities. Some individuals who enjoy making snide remarks on this topic are misinformed, and their comments only reveal their lack of understanding. It's an unreasonable viewpoint to assert that a developer with financial obligations wouldn't be fully committed to maximizing revenue to meet those obligations. While constructive suggestions and opinions are welcome, these jabs serve no purpose other than tarnishing the reputation of this forum within the developer and downtown stakeholder community.

Would the same argument be made if the residential towers were struggling to fill up? Would we then label the developer as inept at leasing, or would we acknowledge the multifaceted nature of the issue? It's important to recognize that commercial leasing is considerably more challenging than residential leasing, with numerous intricate factors at play.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:55 am When was this rumored for urban target? It’s orders of magnitudes smaller then any Urban Target I’ve been to
Never.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

You might as well put a church there. They pay the same amount of sales tax and at least the church would generate some activity on Sundays. &
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:44 am

Ground-level retail spaces within residential buildings are not necessarily designed solely for the convenience of residents. Banks, for instance, make excellent tenants and continue to be in demand, despite anecdotal suggestions to the contrary.

A few of you need to put an end to the baseless debate surrounding Cordish's leasing capabilities. Some individuals who enjoy making snide remarks on this topic are misinformed, and their comments only reveal their lack of understanding. It's an unreasonable viewpoint to assert that a developer with financial obligations wouldn't be fully committed to maximizing revenue to meet those obligations. While constructive suggestions and opinions are welcome, these jabs serve no purpose other than tarnishing the reputation of this forum within the developer and downtown stakeholder community.

Would the same argument be made if the residential towers were struggling to fill up? Would we then label the developer as inept at leasing, or would we acknowledge the multifaceted nature of the issue? It's important to recognize that commercial leasing is considerably more challenging than residential leasing, with numerous intricate factors at play.
I literally said the only interest a bank helps is the developer. Thanks for confirming that.

Not sure why you think these are snide remarks? As a potential customer and current neighbor I feel this is a very valid viewpoint. Sorry if it sounds mean.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The modern bank set ups are useful to the neighorhood.e Capital One Cafe on the Plaza is a hidden gem. Good drinks/food/ice cream, fast wifi, and free meeting rooms
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:00 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:44 am

I literally said the only interest a bank helps is the developer. Thanks for confirming that.

Not sure why you think these are snide remarks? As a potential customer and current neighbor I feel this is a very valid viewpoint. Sorry if it sounds mean.

People still rely on traditional banking services. It's essential to clarify that a financial institution in a residential tower doesn't solely benefit the developers. When you inquired about whether 3L renters would welcome a bank, I pointed out that ground-level retail space in a residential tower serves a broader purpose beyond just the building's residents. Having a bank in the same building could be a significant advantage for many individuals, particularly considering the number of entrepreneurs residing here.

Regarding the comment, "Cordish signing a bank doesn't prove their leasing prowess," I find it somewhat perplexing, as it's unclear what point you were trying to make and why such a snide statement was necessary. It's important to remember that there might be multiple reasons for vacant spaces, and it's not necessarily indicative of a lack of effort or competence. It's worth noting that a few years ago, they replaced the long-term executive director because they were dissatisfied with the commercial leasing situation, demonstrating their commitment to filling every available space thoughtfully. They clearly aim to contribute positively to the neighborhood by making well-considered decisions, rather than hastily accepting any offer that comes their way. As you can see, there are numerous complex factors at play here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That space has a huge number of advantages i pointed out earlier. One that should get a higher value tenant than another bank.

We keep getting teased on here that cordish has all these tenants about ready to sign yet all we actually see is closing stores and banks opening. It's underwhelming to say the least for such a powerful developer. Town pavilion is signing better tenants

Not to mention each of these just further the burden on the general fund of the city with no sales tax coming in eth tenants like a bank
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:21 pm That space has a huge number of advantages i pointed out earlier. One that should get a higher value tenant than another bank.

We keep getting teased on here that cordish has all these tenants about ready to sign yet all we actually see is closing stores and banks opening. It's underwhelming to say the least for such a powerful developer. Town pavilion is signing better tenants

Not to mention each of these just further the burden on the general fund of the city with no sales tax coming in eth tenants like a bank
Once again, it's evident that there's a gap in your understanding of the situation.

I'd simply like to say, "Time will reveal the truth." Engaging in a prolonged debate with unreasonable individuals doesn't seem productive. It's contradictory to express frustration about the speed at which properties are leased and then criticize the choice of tenants when new leases are signed. The commitment of those involved in this neighborhood runs deeper than one might realize, and I wish more could witness it, as I have in the past.

I'm stepping back from this topic now. Pouring too much energy into responding to a few haters only detracts from the overwhelmingly positive narrative that defines our neighborhood's story.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Definitely not a cordish hater. I've stated that before. Big supporter and want us all to succeed. That does not mean they are beyond reproach especially given p&l impact on our general fund and influence in our downtown success.

Can't wait for the truth to be revealed and hoping for the best.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Ok but there's another retail space still. They can fill that with a restaurant or something.