KC metro growth and migration stats

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: KC metro growth and migration stats

Post by earthling » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Migration into KC metro 2011-2015. Where people are coming from.

The first numbered column shows migration into KC. The counterflow shows outpbound migration. The net-migration column shows who KC gained/lost to per market....

International into KC 2011-2015...

Source:
https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2015 ... ation.html

Any idea why St. Joe attracted more from KC during those years? Also curious to see Asia as second highest source of inbound. IIRC, last decade KC got more from Africa. Last decade, KC got a large chunk from LA/San Diego, more from Chicago/NYC during this period.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:21 pm

The in-migration from Africa was probably higher then because of the influx of refugees from ongoing conflicts in Somalia, Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. I know there are a lot of Somalis, Sudanese, and Congolese living in the Historic Northeast neighborhood.

I don' t know what is going on with the St. Joseph stats. I would think Kansas City would be sucking St. Joseph dry of residents.

normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by normalthings » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 pm

FangKC wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:21 pm
The in-migration from Africa was probably higher then because of the influx of refugees from ongoing conflicts in Somalia, Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. I know there are a lot of Somalis, Sudanese, and Congolese living in the Historic Northeast neighborhood.

I don' t know what is going on with the St. Joseph stats. I would think Kansas City would be sucking St. Joseph dry of residents.
When I worked in the Northland I-29 Corridor, I saw multiple new co-workers decide to buy homes in/around St.Joe vs commuting 30-50 minutes from the south half of the metro.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:55 pm

It is cheaper to buy a house up there.