60's and 70's KC music reissues by Numero Group

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

60's and 70's KC music reissues by Numero Group

Post by chaglang »

Just want to call everyone's attention to two reissues of local music by Numero Group. I've listened to both and they're excellent. The quality of the artists recorded was a real surprise, especially on the Forte album. A big part of that is Marva Whitney. She's usually overlooked in lists of famous KC musicians, which is unfortunate.

www.numerogorup.com
Not quite hell, but close enough. Local Customs: Cavern Sound covers six years lost in the deranging darkness of Independence, Missouri’s Pixley limestone mine, where a team of misfit engineers captured the reverberating echoes of Kansas City’s rock ‘n’ roll blasting cap. Taped in the subterranean studio headspace of Cavern between 1967 and 1973 are previously unissued recordings by Jaded, Larry Sands & the Sound Affair, Sheriff, Mulligan, Stone Wall, Morningstar, the Montaris, and the Dantes, alongside the most explosive tracks released on KC’s Pearce, Rock, and Cave labels by the likes of the Reactions, Burlington Express, the Classmen, Fraight, American Sound Ltd, Baxter’s Chat, 21st Century Sound Movement, Pretty, Tide, and A.J. Rowe.
In 1969, after three years as Soul Sister #1 to James Brown’s touring entourage, Marva Whitney came home to Kansas City, putting Ellis Taylor’s Forte label back at full fighting strength. She’d calmed aching crowds the day after MLK’s death, and she’d lived the life, despite its rigors—to pour out her pain and exuberance on Forte sides including “I’ve Lived The Life” and “Daddy Don’t Know About Sugar Bear,” which made national rounds in 1972.

By then, Forte had already done more than deliver Marvelous Marva to market. Taylor worked overtime at KPRS to bring the world The Rayons, who’d stroll their girl group harmonies past Chicago’s RCA studios on “Baby Be Good.” In ’68, The Four Darlings sauntered in with smoky-voiced soul operatics on the demanding “Give Me Love.” Progressing in the middle ’70s, Everyday People got “Super Black” on Forte’s pine-green label. Still powering forward some 13 years on, Forte redawned with the 1980s, essaying disco funk with Sharon Revoal’s “Reaching for Our Star.”
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: 60's and 70's KC music reissues by Numero Group

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Thanks. Remember the names of quite a few of those bands.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

I've gotta check these out.
Thanks for the reminder!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Numero actually did another KC compilation a few years ago - called "it's all pop" about Titan records (and the Titan records guy made this "cavern sounds" thing happen as well). The Titan comp was well-received and is a very exhaustive 4LP (or 2CD) collection. http://www.numerogroup.com/products/titan-its-all-pop

great stuff and it all shows different facets of the KC scene.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

All 3 of those reissues are amazing. I had no idea Kansas City even had a power pop scene until I heard the Titan reissues. Made me fall in love with this city all over again. Numero rules