Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
mykn
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by mykn » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:16 pm

Let's just replace the Costco/Home Depot with a stadium and be done with it.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by flyingember » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:17 pm

smh wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 pm
flyingember wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:08 pm
smh wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:51 pm
I'm all for downtown-ish baseball, but I'd prefer not have it a block from my house.
NIMBY!
Sigh. In this case I must admit it.

I feel like the negative externalities of 20,000 people a block away 82 days a year would just be a little much.

"But Wrigleyville!" Yeah, I dunno.
It is admittedly a difficult subject for a neighborhood.

chingon
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by chingon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:58 am

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:56 pm
Also, Wrigley isn't exactly in the middle of downtown
Also wrigleyville is fucking horrible.

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by WoodDraw » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:06 pm

Oh come on, it's fine as a neighborhood and serves a purpose for people there. I have no problem with a drunk, young, sports neighborhood. I just have no faith that KC will pull it off.

I see a stadium surrounded by parking lots and garages. Also, Kansas City isn't Chicago. Putting a stadium in the middle of downtown is a bigger deal.

ToDactivist
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ToDactivist » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:56 pm

WoodDraw wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:06 pm
Oh come on, it's fine as a neighborhood and serves a purpose for people there. I have no problem with a drunk, young, sports neighborhood. I just have no faith that KC will pull it off.

I see a stadium surrounded by parking lots and garages. Also, Kansas City isn't Chicago. Putting a stadium in the middle of downtown is a bigger deal.
nooth loop stop is already replete with underused parking garages - commerce - catholics - denizen - library - ymca - others plus (sub)surface parking under I-70 lid when this happens at same time. no new parking needed is concept plus that streetcar thingy....

smh
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by smh » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:25 pm

ToDactivist wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:56 pm
WoodDraw wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:06 pm

nooth loop stop is already replete with underused parking garages - commerce - catholics - denizen - library - ymca - others plus (sub)surface parking under I-70 lid when this happens at same time. no new parking needed is concept plus that streetcar thingy....
I'd rather it go in a downtown adjacent, but less developed area. This would have massive impacts to the surroundings residential areas...not to mention turning Delaware into Wrigleyville. I'm just not sure that's what we want for the area. It also rewards decades of Kemper landbanking which I'm not crazy about either.

TheLastGentleman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheLastGentleman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:43 pm

I wrote this on the flashcube thread but I'm just gonna leave it here where it's also relevant.
TheLastGentleman wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:53 am

This is probably the most detailed depiction of this scheme I've come across. Notice that they have to intrude upon freeway space here, even after demolishing both the flashcube and 609 central. Assuming the flashcube is kept, the only way this plan could even be plausible would be if the north loop was removed and the stadium was partially sat on the land. If that occurred, though, it would negate a benefit of having the thing in that location in the first place, that being freeway access. It would still require 609's demolition. I'm sorry, but I'd hate seeing a last remnant of an otherwise obliterated neighborhood be demolished for schlock like this.

I still have yet to fathom why this particular site is so attractive to people here. The grid is already so thoroughly wrecked around there; why do we need to plop a huge superblock in there (which would also need an huge amount of adjacent parking, mind you) when we have an opportunity to right such a major wrong? Wouldn't it just be rewarding the people who have been landbanking this area for so long, who've kept it a dormant division between two of downtown's most critical neighborhoods for the last half century? It's insane.

Even if it takes the better part of a century to see this area develop into a neighborhood, I'd still say it's worth avoiding having a stadium jammed into it.