Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Midtownkid »

The old Palace Theater building has a TON of space for an REI. Although I'd rather see the a new theater renovate those existing auditoriums and bring movies back to the Plaza. The large empty spaces where Victoria Secret and Limited Too once were might also work if combined?
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:34 pm And that's not a large store by REI's standards. It's the smallest REI store I've been in and I've been in many - it's even smaller than the one in Anchorage AK. I guess there isn't that big of a market here in KC for that kind of stuff. It would fit nicely in a lot of vacant Plaza locations but I doubt if they move. Perhaps the new management might make them a good deal.
I'd imagine that the Anchorage REI gets visited by a ton of people picking up last minute gear after they fly into Anchorage but before they set of to their final adventure. I definitely made a stop there before heading up to Denali for 10 days of backpacking.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

An REI as a ground level anchor store on the Nordstrom lot with apartments or condos above would be fantastic
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:11 pm REI stores are usually quite large, even ones located in urban areas. Not sure the old North Face space or even the old Moosejaw could host an REI. But it would be awesome to Have REI on the Plaza. The only location in the metro being on 135th is a bummer for sure. And with Moosejaw now closed REI is the only store left for higher end backpacking/mountaineering gear in the whole metro that I am aware of.
Scheels is next to in Corbin Park.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:17 pm
Highlander wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:34 pm And that's not a large store by REI's standards. It's the smallest REI store I've been in and I've been in many - it's even smaller than the one in Anchorage AK. I guess there isn't that big of a market here in KC for that kind of stuff. It would fit nicely in a lot of vacant Plaza locations but I doubt if they move. Perhaps the new management might make them a good deal.
I'd imagine that the Anchorage REI gets visited by a ton of people picking up last minute gear after they fly into Anchorage but before they set of to their final adventure. I definitely made a stop there before heading up to Denali for 10 days of backpacking.
True but it's a very short season (about 3 months). I think Alaskans (most of whom live in the Anchorage area) are just far more outdoor oriented than Kansas Citians; I mean it's right there on the doorstep. That's why so many stores seem to come and go in KC. I loved the Backwoods down on Broadway long before REI showed up but the city for whatever reasons doesn't seem to be able to support more than 1 large outdoor store and perhaps a couple of smaller niche ones.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The REI Co-op store in Wichita isn't big but they make better use of the space than the one in OP. I always wondered how long it would last but after becoming a frequent customer over the past year I've discovered they've done a great job with engaging the local bike community and do a brisk business with locals who plan hiking and climbing trips out of state. The bike shop employees have stepped up to help create quite a few mountain bike trails in the area, as well as producing and distributing maps of the area trails.

There's no reason REI couldn't be successful with a Plaza (or Westport) REI if they are smart enough to activate the right outdoor communities.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

The last thing the Plaza needs is another store you can find out in the suburbs, like REI.

Patagonia would be a far better choice for an outdoor/recreational retailer as it's a progressive brand that would resonate well with urban dwellers, and its stores aren't massive.

From what I hear, I'm guessing Nordstrom lot will be luxury residential (apartments or condos) with ground level retail where the few upscale/luxury brands they can snag will concentrate. These types of stores generally pay the highest price per square foot for the best locations (e.g., new construction, high ceilings, big windows, marquee signage -- "the works").
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

What is the status of the sale?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

REI would be a great anchor for the old theater lot. If not there they should look at the crossroads.

The one here in Rockville is kind of suburban but also designed in an urban way up the sidewalks etc. Something like that could work on the plaza.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0510252 ... ?entry=ttu

And the REI store in DC is in a restored building very similar to the crossraods district.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9055542 ... ?entry=ttu
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What about an REI in the former Star building on Grand? Is that building too small?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0925895 ... ?entry=ttu
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:27 am What about an REI in the former Star building on Grand? Is that building too small?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0925895 ... ?entry=ttu
That would actually be pretty cool. I doubt if REI could fill it up but it could team up with a coffee shop and some foodie type places or small target. And if the stadium does end up in the EC, it would be a good neighbor to an REI store.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Actually, a hardware store in the former Star building on Grand would probably be a good companion to REI too.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:08 pm Actually, a hardware store in the former Star building on Grand would probably be a good companion to REI too.
Who Menards? New to area?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No. An Ace Hardware store would probably be adequate.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

FangKC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:58 pm No. An Ace Hardware store would probably be adequate.
Meeks,Do it your Best Center or so on.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Just here to comment that it was in the news the other day that REI isn’t doing that great at the moment and has laid off a bunch of people to prepare for challenging times ahead.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Records request for a bunch of Plaza PINs, likely due diligence. https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 443e0ea8a2
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Forever 21 is closing per Joyce Smith: https://x.com/JoyceKC/status/1762262054465913017?s=20
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

msmith011 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:47 am Forever 21 is closing per Joyce Smith: https://x.com/JoyceKC/status/1762262054465913017?s=20
No loss. That's a prime space. Hopefully they will get a less common retailer on there.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Midtownkid wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:24 pm
msmith011 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:47 am Forever 21 is closing per Joyce Smith: https://x.com/JoyceKC/status/1762262054465913017?s=20
No loss. That's a prime space. Hopefully they will get a less common retailer on there.
I couldn't agree more. Zara would be a great get as those stores command massive square footage.