Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Metro »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:35 pm The feds coming in didn't seem to do anything? You listed general outrage comments, not anything of substance. It's fine, trying to make it a political play will definitely fix the problem.
I understand you went to Kansas State so maybe that explains the lack of reading comprehension. You say the feds coming in didn't seem to help anything it's a safe assumption you either didn't read any of the statistics in the months they were here or b. And this wouldn't be surprisng can't comprehend them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Metro wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:06 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:35 pm The feds coming in didn't seem to do anything? You listed general outrage comments, not anything of substance. It's fine, trying to make it a political play will definitely fix the problem.
I understand you went to Kansas State so maybe that explains the lack of reading comprehension. You say the feds coming in didn't seem to help anything it's a safe assumption you either didn't read any of the statistics in the months they were here or b. And this wouldn't be surprisng can't comprehend them.
So they have to be here full time from here on out until the end of times? My point is we're worried about crime right now so their impact didn't have any real long term results.

I understand it's hard to have a conversation without trying to add in personal insults, it tends to happen when you are trolling.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:21 pm
Metro wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:06 pm
So they have to be here full time from here on out until the end of times? My point is we're worried about crime right now so their impact didn't have any real long term results.

I understand it's hard to have a conversation without trying to add in personal insults, it tends to happen when you are trolling.
No they would not be here until the end of time but they certainly would assist for awhile. We seem to focus on policing but never the prosecution. The cops and DA do seem to blame the lack of space in the current jail.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I've been talked to by a few KCPD officers that the lack of jail space is a real problem. When it becomes such a unified talking point from any one point of view I take it with a grain of salt but it does sound like a problem.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:29 pm Yeah I've been talked to by a few KCPD officers that the lack of jail space is a real problem. When it becomes such a unified talking point from any one point of view I take it with a grain of salt but it does sound like a problem.
I would love to know if that is true or not. There has been a mentally ill homeless man in my neighborhood who's pulled a knife on a few different women, tried to break into dwellings, and has threatened people. He's never been prosecuted. The cops claim the lack of jail space. Again not sure if that's true I do know they have arrested him several times. They've told people he will need 20 tresspassing charges before he goes to jail. How in the fuck does that happen? That is not only embarrassing but scary. Because it's only a matter of time before he hurts someone or someone hurts him.

So I don't mean to be an asshole towards you. I'm just very passionate about this and know we can do so so much better
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Metro wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:24 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:29 pm Yeah I've been talked to by a few KCPD officers that the lack of jail space is a real problem. When it becomes such a unified talking point from any one point of view I take it with a grain of salt but it does sound like a problem.
I would love to know if that is true or not. There has been a mentally ill homeless man in my neighborhood who's pulled a knife on a few different women, tried to break into dwellings, and has threatened people. He's never been prosecuted. The cops claim the lack of jail space. Again not sure if that's true I do know they have arrested him several times. They've told people he will need 20 tresspassing charges before he goes to jail. How in the fuck does that happen? That is not only embarrassing but scary. Because it's only a matter of time before he hurts someone or someone hurts him.

So I don't mean to be an asshole towards you. I'm just very passionate about this and know we can do so so much better
Yeah that's frustrating, Not that even jail maybe the best course for that specific person, something needs to happen.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I wonder if the continued security issues at the Plaza are giving any pause to the Dallas firm that is buying the shopping center? It's a pretty big issue as it impacts the public's confidence in their own security and hence patronage. Especially at night. They have to be wondering how they can control the situation better than current owners and if the local police are going to be part of the solution. I suspect that's not the reason the deal has yet to be consummated but it cannot help that incidents keep happening when both parties are trying to close the deal.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:07 am I wonder if the continued security issues at the Plaza are giving any pause to the Dallas firm that is buying the shopping center? It's a pretty big issue as it impacts the public's confidence in their own security and hence patronage. Especially at night. They have to be wondering how they can control the situation better than current owners and if the local police are going to be part of the solution. I suspect that's not the reason the deal has yet to be consummated but it cannot help that incidents keep happening when both parties are trying to close the deal.
Security has been a concern from day 1 for the group. They’ve been working closely with a few local investors familiar with the plaza as well as the KCPD/police foundation for months
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:53 am
Highlander wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:07 am I wonder if the continued security issues at the Plaza are giving any pause to the Dallas firm that is buying the shopping center? It's a pretty big issue as it impacts the public's confidence in their own security and hence patronage. Especially at night. They have to be wondering how they can control the situation better than current owners and if the local police are going to be part of the solution. I suspect that's not the reason the deal has yet to be consummated but it cannot help that incidents keep happening when both parties are trying to close the deal.
Security has been a concern from day 1 for the group. They’ve been working closely with a few local investors familiar with the plaza as well as the KCPD/police foundation for months
That must make the continuing violence and shootings extra disappointing. I sure hope this deal doesn't fall through because of KC's inept leadership allowing crime to fester in the area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

How exactly are the mayor and council directly responsible for allowing crime to fester?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

FangKC wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:59 pm How exactly are the mayor and council directly responsible for allowing crime to fester?
The mayor and councils rhetoric in 2020 helped chase away officers. The mayor sits on a board with other fellow Kansas Citians neither ever bothers to call out the prosecutor but will take time to tweet about Republicans in Kansas.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Back to political nonsense posts, too bad.

I'm quite sure PD can withstand and even understand why those comments were being made. Nobody hates bad cops worse than gold cops.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:16 am Back to political nonsense posts, too bad.

I'm quite sure PD can withstand and even understand why those comments were being made. Nobody hates bad cops worse than gold cops.
PD hates Lucas & Jean Peters Baker. God forbid we hold elected officials accountable
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Already asked you and fang did what you mean with no answers just general nothing comments. Then fell back into D vs R rants.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:54 am Already asked you and fang did what you mean with no answers just general nothing comments. Then fell back into D vs R rants.
Not going to keep doing this with you I gave you several specifics.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There was nothing specific posted outside of the jail which I agreed with but I don't think that's a mayor or prosecutor fault?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I feel like this board is 50% politics now. I get it, politics impact urban life but man it feels like lately none of the topics on here can stay on topic, and it’s making this forum a lot less usable
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Probably because we don't have enough development to discuss unfortunately.

Ya know, because of those damn communists at KC Tenants and those new liberal energy codes KCMO adopted and...oh wait...

just kidding!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:16 am Back to political nonsense posts, too bad.

Violence on the Plaza is a very real issue that impacts the health of the Plaza specifically, the neighborhood around it and KC in general. It's long been held up as one of the bright spots of the KC experience. So, it's a valid discussion topic.

I'd be looking for viable solutions to the problem that the new owners (assuming the deal is consummated) can implement in partnership with the KCPD rather than statements about KC's inherent crime problems that generally reflect one's political leanings. What are the practical solutions? The new owners certainly cannot solve KC's crime issues nor can they remove every restaurant and store that may attract people under 20 (especially since those are the people that generally buy the most clothing).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Year round enforced curfew for youth in entertainment areas, make parking paid, kcpd foot patrol (not security guards), block off roads on weekends at minimum, enforcement of traffic laws like 4 wheelers on the roads, some sort of gun control from the state level and overall letting the city govern itself vs state disallowing everything..just some ideas.

It's a lot of enforcing what we already have on the books but all we hear from kcpd is how it's impossible for them to enforce snything.