Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Midtownkid »

The plaza needs a movie theater again. Maybe they should just be careful about what movies they show so they attract the 'right crowd'.

I think an amazing addition to the plaza would be a live theater, too. Restore/Renovate the historic plaza theater building and make it into a beautiful live venue. Maybe UMKC could be the main tenant, or a local theater company.

The area needs some more high-brow things to do aside from shopping. An art gallery would be great, too.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:10 pm The plaza needs a movie theater again. Maybe they should just be careful about what movies they show so they attract the 'right crowd'.

I think an amazing addition to the plaza would be a live theater, too. Restore/Renovate the historic plaza theater building and make it into a beautiful live venue. Maybe UMKC could be the main tenant, or a local theater company.

The area needs some more high-brow things to do aside from shopping. An art gallery would be great, too.
Remain shocked that there is not a music venue near the plaza
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Is there even a decent bar on the Plaza anymore. Used to be a decent nightlife sector there. And local restaurants too. Total disaster.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:20 pm Is there even a decent bar on the Plaza anymore. Used to be a decent nightlife sector there. And local restaurants too. Total disaster.
Granfalloon? Still a packed 3AM meeting place for the younger Plaza crowd. And generally always busy. But otherwise, agree.

Plaza used to have a pretty diverse nightlife offering, from the basement of Plaza III to Blonde (club) to Fred P. Otts divey vibes. Miss those days.

RE: local restaurants, I still truly miss Eden Alley. It was such a perfect fit with Unity Temple and a unique offering in the metro.

Also, while not local, still miss Houston's. Hard to believe that space has never been filled.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

rxlexi wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:41 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:20 pm Is there even a decent bar on the Plaza anymore. Used to be a decent nightlife sector there. And local restaurants too. Total disaster.
Granfalloon? Still a packed 3AM meeting place for the younger Plaza crowd. And generally always busy. But otherwise, agree.

Plaza used to have a pretty diverse nightlife offering, from the basement of Plaza III to Blonde (club) to Fred P. Otts divey vibes. Miss those days.

RE: local restaurants, I still truly miss Eden Alley. It was such a perfect fit with Unity Temple and a unique offering in the metro.

Also, while not local, still miss Houston's. Hard to believe that space has never been filled.
Yeah, I can’t do the new Faloon. Too many memories with the old one. It seems maybe like other locations in the core are taking the business from Plaza restaurants. Places like Noka and Earls are in places that never would have had them before, and DT/Crossroads probably has pulled business too. Houston’s was great! Pot roast, rosemary chicken… man. I don’t understand how a place like Buca di Beppo can survive in a basement space under Houston’s for a decade but Houston’s isn’t a viable spot and sits for the same amount of time? Crazy.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

They ran off all the fun so it could be the George Brett & Friends Capital Grille pub crawl location.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:49 pm They ran off all the fun so it could be the George Brett & Friends Capital Grille pub crawl location.
It has gotten quite old, hasn't it. The Plaza used to be fun!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm surprised B&B hasn't reopened the remaining Seville Square theaters. Going to the movies was the primary reason I went to the Plaza. I usually went to Barnes & Noble before or after a movie as well.

The other option for the Seville Square building is to return it to a department store. It used to be a Sears. Perhaps Dillards could go there and apartments could be built on the vacant site.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:21 pm
Midtownkid wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:10 pm The plaza needs a movie theater again. Maybe they should just be careful about what movies they show so they attract the 'right crowd'.

Remain shocked that there is not a music venue near the plaza
Jardine's was the last music venue near the Plaza that I can recall.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:10 pm ...
Yes, seems like a waste that theater space goes unused. Has anyone been in it to see the condition of the auditorium? Is is just empty space?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:10 pm I think an amazing addition to the plaza would be a live theater, too. Restore/Renovate the historic plaza theater building and make it into a beautiful live venue. Maybe UMKC could be the main tenant, or a local theater company.
I’ve always thought that theater would be the perfect size for stand up shows too, and what better location for a date night type show like that. Wouldn’t have to be a dedicated comedy club though, but it’s got a good size for it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The city really needs to step in and say something public about the old theater site. What a disaster.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Maybe if the Plaza Area Council gets going this could be a future project of theirs
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I miss Freddy P's (Fred P Otts) so bad. That was my go to place on the Plaza. Especially with out of town guests that were "ballin' on a budget," like me...
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

atticus23 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:25 am I miss Freddy P's (Fred P Otts) so bad. That was my go to place on the Plaza. Especially with out of town guests that were "ballin' on a budget," like me...
I enjoyed their food happy hour was good too
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

UrbanLab and the Mayor are apparently working together to reimagine the Plaza and turn Nichols Road into a pedestrian plaza.
https://twitter.com/QuintonLucasKC/stat ... 4826407936
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Nichols Rd yes, Wornall no. Wornall is the only north-south through street between Mill Creek and Madison and major access to the hospital and fire station.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I love it! Can't quite tell from their picture, what is the plan for Central? Are they just entrances to the two garages: one under Topseys and the other where UPS is but not open to through traffic? I think that would be great. And no one can say this can't be done. It's less obstructions than during the Plaza Art Fair and we all get where we need to go that weekend without much trouble.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This is great. I don't think closing Wornall would be a huge deal.

does anybody know if the parking structures could sustain a few floors of residential on top of them?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

This should have happened a long time ago. Looks great. I like the fountain at Wornall and Nichols Road.