Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Sirius_Blue »

SHPNeighbor wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:52 am https://cityscenekc.com/mayor-likely-pl ... se-retail/

Something I found interesting in the article:

"The prospective owners also don’t support converting streets to pedestrian-only corridors"

"The prospective new owners envision a “European Village” experience at the Plaza."

So which one is it?
It's whichever buzzwords the listeners want to hear. It's gonna take a lot more than buzzwords and hand-wringing to turn the Plaza around.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

could have been in context to closing all of the streets or something to that effect. Or perhaps giving the streets a major road diet to still allow for a single lane of one way traffic, who knows? But I believe most of the renderings and presentations thus far have supported creating some areas as pedestrian specific, no traffic, and allowing for traffic on the periphery on the Plaza and East/West along 47th St.

Overall I think what they have proposed focuses on creating more of a retail & entertainment neighborhood of sorts. Bring in more residents to the core to match those that ring the Plaza now. Add higher end retail, mixed with unique local offerings, and build on the successful entertainment/dining options already established. I also like their admitted focus on security but also that security comes from having more people living and engaging the area more. A true community of neighbors mixed in will help the vibrancy
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:51 am could have been in context to closing all of the streets or something to that effect. Or perhaps giving the streets a major road diet to still allow for a single lane of one way traffic, who knows? But I believe most of the renderings and presentations thus far have supported creating some areas as pedestrian specific, no traffic, and allowing for traffic on the periphery on the Plaza and East/West along 47th St.

Overall I think what they have proposed focuses on creating more of a retail & entertainment neighborhood of sorts. Bring in more residents to the core to match those that ring the Plaza now. Add higher end retail, mixed with unique local offerings, and build on the successful entertainment/dining options already established. I also like their admitted focus on security but also that security comes from having more people living and engaging the area more. A true community of neighbors mixed in will help the vibrancy
They mentioned pavers. So I'm assuming some kind of road diet with cobble stone-esque pavers to calm traffic. Zero auto access would be a deal killer for a lot of storefronts.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

obviously there has to be some way to accommodate auto traffic. Got to get shoppers & visitors into the area as well as employees. But having access that goes the many garages should be good. I can't think of any retail business that needs ability for a car to park in front of their door to get business. Valet parking at dining/entertainment is fine with that immediate access. But other stuff would be fine to park & walk, which is already common place now. But really would love to have what has been proposed thus far with the pedestrian areas, road diets, etc. Those renders we have seen look like a great solution.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They want to work within the Plaza bowl zoning. Great that they see the vacant Nordstrom site as a focus and are looking at housing there.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Nichols Rd could be turned into something resembling La Ramblas in Barcelona. It's a wide pedestrian promenade in the middle with narrow traffic lanes on each side and wide sidewalks next to the retail shops. Image this but with only one lane on each side of the central promenade.

I think the Plaza functions just fine as it currently sits. It has wide sidewalks and plenty of room to roam. But, something like this could work.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Agreed. Some level of pedestrianization of Nichols would be nice, and I think could enhance the beauty and economic vitality of the street, but I also think the Plaza will be alright without it. For me, bringing some residential to the bowl area would be the real get and would open up lots of possibilities for the commercial spaces thanks to the additional adjacent residents.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

La Ramblas is 47 M wide, Nicols rd is 22 M. 47th 32 M. Love the concept, but I don't think there is a way to do anything significant in the median of any of the Plaza streets.

La Ramblas, and Barcelona in general, was fantastic as a pedestrian. I think they did a cut and cover down La Ramblas for the subway, not sure.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

The street is ~60 ft curb to curb (I can't think in metric), so there is a lot of opportunity, particularly if you remove street parking. The street is effectively today 6 lanes wide. It might not make sense to create La Ramblas but it could be something very nice.

EDIT: KC streets are so wide!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I can attest that Urban Lab will do our best to meet with the new ownership if/once the deal goes through, and hopefully articulate the vision we had for Nichols. Full pedestrianization is obviously preferable, but shared, curbless streets could be equally as functional in making the area safer and deterring aggressive car access, while also allowing for full closures on occasion. We’ll see what they are looking for though!
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Jax fish house not renewing their lease. Closed New Year’s Eve. Per KC star, it was the only location outside of Co.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:17 pm Jax fish house not renewing their lease. Closed New Year’s Eve. Per KC star, it was the only location outside of Co.
Bummer. They had a great happy hour
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They died for me when they got rid of the bottomless crab brunch.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I noticed that The North Face closed. With Moosejaw closed too, maybe it's time for a Patagonia store!

Does anyone know if the sale went through?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:10 pm I noticed that The North Face closed. With Moosejaw closed too, maybe it's time for a Patagonia store!

Does anyone know if the sale went through?
But now who will the people JPB doesn't prosecute rob?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I wish an REI would go in there. I fucking hate driving to 135th.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:56 pm I wish an REI would go in there. I fucking hate driving to 135th.
Agreed. Would be great for a flagship store. When I was in KC I never visited the 135th shop because it was just too far away. I'd rather shop elsewhere or buy online.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

REI stores are usually quite large, even ones located in urban areas. Not sure the old North Face space or even the old Moosejaw could host an REI. But it would be awesome to Have REI on the Plaza. The only location in the metro being on 135th is a bummer for sure. And with Moosejaw now closed REI is the only store left for higher end backpacking/mountaineering gear in the whole metro that I am aware of.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:11 pm The only location in the metro being on 135th is a bummer for sure.
And that's not a large store by REI's standards. It's the smallest REI store I've been in and I've been in many - it's even smaller than the one in Anchorage AK. I guess there isn't that big of a market here in KC for that kind of stuff. It would fit nicely in a lot of vacant Plaza locations but I doubt if they move. Perhaps the new management might make them a good deal.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:34 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:11 pm The only location in the metro being on 135th is a bummer for sure.
And that's not a large store by REI's standards. It's the smallest REI store I've been in and I've been in many - it's even smaller than the one in Anchorage AK. I guess there isn't that big of a market here in KC for that kind of stuff. It would fit nicely in a lot of vacant Plaza locations but I doubt if they move. Perhaps the new management might make them a good deal.
Maybe we could have two? :(