Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Midtownkid »

The Halls Building is bland for the most part, but the Moorish archways (with the little gold crowns) is such a beautiful detail. I hope a tear-down is not in the works. I think they should stucco over the bumpy stone surface to make it look more Spanish. Insert some windows with nice detailing and stucco the entire thing.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

pstokely wrote:
LCDSI wrote:We should start writing/contacting highwoods and encourage them to do something useful (i.e. non office or parking lot) for the Halls spot. It would be unfortunate if they just converted this to a generic office building like the saks one.
What else can they fill the upper floors with besides parking or offices? Zoning might prevent them from putting condos there
You are right. I think condos are out of the question. I'm hoping that they can get a big retail tenant to take the whole space or better yet add another floor. One that might work for our market is Zara. Trendy but reasonable pricing that would be a major draw in the region.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Highwoods has been making every effort to kick out residential. They wanted to tear down two apts for office buildings (and failed with both attempts).
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

pstokely wrote:Is this area even big enough for Neiman Marcus, they'll probably divide the 1st floor into spaces for smaller stores and turn the upper floors into more office space like they did with the Saks space
Yep.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looks like Restoration Hardware is taking the old Halls space.
http://www.kcconfidential.com/2013/08/0 ... more-14028
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Looks like Restoration Hardware is taking the old Halls space.
http://www.kcconfidential.com/2013/08/0 ... more-14028

wow didn't really expect that. i wonder what will take up their old spot if that happens.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I was kinda hoping it would be split up into multiple smaller streetfacing retail spots like they did with old Saks building. The blank wall of Halls is not very pedestrian friendly to walk along. It breaks the flow and continuity. Maybe if they add large stately windows.

I'm bumming that RH destroyed the old Plaza theater and now this. It didn't re-use or respect the old theater in any way. It could have at least re-used the lobby and restructured the seating area. Ironic for a 'restoration' company.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

you assume they wouldn't break up the blank wall.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

In the back of Restoration Hardware there is a really cool ceiling trim detail. It's all painted white, but you can still see it...it's a nice remnant from the theater. The new tenant better at least keep that.

Do you think the old Halls crowns will remain? I hope so

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Hallmark will open a Gold Crown flagship/test concept next to the Apple store. Slated for 10/1 opening. This won't be your grandmothers tired Hallmark. Although, every shopper will get a warm cookie from a local bakery.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There are several road closures to NE of Plaza due to construction. Is a good problem to have but next week there will be 3 roads in a row closed off due to 3 different projects.

43rd between Main/JC Nichols is now closed for bank building construction
46th/JC Nichols is closed weekdays for Chuy's rehab
47th between Main/JC Nichols will be closed next week

Most major cities don't allow an entire road to be closed off for projects as small as the first two. And the city isn't coordinating the 3rd project in context to other roads closed nearby. Is a good problem to have but the City could use a little more coordination and scrutiny towards allowing entirely shutting off roads for small projects.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

earthling wrote: 47th between Main/JC Nichols will be closed next week
this is going to be an enormous shitshow. that intersection is basically the only part of this entire metro that feels, for a few minutes during rush hour, like "big city congestion." closing that block is going to blow minds.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

That 47th Street closure is really going to screw the Max up. The intersection of 47th & Main is already a huge delay point and I can't see them just skipping the Plaza stop. I wonder what detour they will use?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

chrizow wrote:this is going to be an enormous shitshow. that intersection is basically the only part of this entire metro that feels, for a few minutes during rush hour, like "big city congestion." closing that block is going to blow minds.
And only because it is a complete traffic engineering cluster. There is no reason the lights could not be coordinated better to eliminate some of the backups in the intersection.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chrizow wrote:
this is going to be an enormous shitshow. that intersection is basically the only part of this entire metro that feels, for a few minutes during rush hour, like "big city congestion." closing that block is going to blow minds.
see 152 hwy west of liberty for big city congestion. it makes Main and 47th look like nothing
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:
chrizow wrote:
see 152 hwy west of liberty for big city poorly planned suburban sprawl congestion. it makes Main and 47th look like nothing
FTFY.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

earthling wrote:There are several road closures to NE of Plaza due to construction. Is a good problem to have but next week there will be 3 roads in a row closed off due to 3 different projects.

43rd between Main/JC Nichols is now closed for bank building construction
46th/JC Nichols is closed weekdays for Chuy's rehab
47th between Main/JC Nichols will be closed next week

Most major cities don't allow an entire road to be closed off for projects as small as the first two. And the city isn't coordinating the 3rd project in context to other roads closed nearby. Is a good problem to have but the City could use a little more coordination and scrutiny towards allowing entirely shutting off roads for small projects.

Sounds like there might be lane closures instead of the entire street. Interesting if it is all traffic lanes.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

see 152 hwy west of liberty for big city poorly planned suburban sprawl congestion. it makes Main and 47th look like nothing
At one time Main and 47th was in the suburbs.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
At one time Main and 47th was in the suburbs.
Good point. That's why I tell everyone I live in the country. At one time River Market was in the country.