Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Currently have Google Fiber - 'free' 5M service
14%
Currently have Google Fiber - 100M or 1 Gigabit service only
20%
Currently have Google Fiber - TV + 1 Gigabit service
41%
Am in a deployed Google Fiber area but sticking with current or moving to other ISP
1%
Am in a planned area, intend to get Google Fiber
10%
Am in a planned area, sticking with current ISP
1%
None of the above/something else
13%

Total votes: 87

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If you have Google Fiber, you can post and vote for ideas here. Not sure if it is invite only...

https://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=21a300
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

No surprise here but KCMO is fastest Internet city in US and MO state bumped up to second fastest in country. It's not just Google Fiber. KC now has 4 Gigabit providers in the area - GF, AT&T, Surewest/CCI and North KC getting free Gbit and TimeWarner/Comcast are bumping up to their fastest speeds. State of MO bumped up to mostly because of KC but STL and other parts of MO also have Charter bumping to 100M.

Top 5 cities with the fastest average speed in March 2015:
Kansas City, MO 96.66Mbps
Austin, TX 74.65Mbps
Huntington Beach, CA 58.2Mbps
New York, NY 53.3Mbps
North Hollywood, CA 53.04Mbps

http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/average- ... -33-9mbps/

http://explorer.netindex.com/maps?count ... i&city=158
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Lees' Summit is getting ready to see a big boost in contractors installing Google Fiber. Currently have around 40 crews and is expected to have over 160 in a few weeks. Looks like all crews will be from out-of-town.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So any idea how far along Google Fiber is with rolling out to North/South KCMO? Seems like it just kicked into gear a few months ago.

Also, GF doesn't have many agreements with apt/condo buildings in the burbs. Now that KC has 4 gigabit providers plus TimeWarner, Comcast, etc also bumping up to their top tier speeds, building owners may not be interested in paying Google's $300/unit.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/apartments/
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

earthling wrote:So any idea how far along Google Fiber is with rolling out to North/South KCMO? Seems like it just kicked into gear a few months ago.

Also, GF doesn't have many agreements with apt/condo buildings in the burbs. Now that KC has 4 gigabit providers plus TimeWarner, Comcast, etc also bumping up to their top tier speeds, building owners may not be interested in paying Google's $300/unit.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/apartments/

Google is no longer charging the construction fee to multifamily operators. Additionally, they have refunded fee's that were previously paid for this purpose.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ah, didn't realize that was for all buildings. Thought it was for 'qualifying' low income buildings. That's good news.

Wonder why so few agreements with apts/condos outside the core of city. Maybe they just haven't updated the list. Or maybe the other ISPs have been busy getting exclusive agreements if not already existing.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Wonder why so few agreements with apts/condos outside the core of city. Maybe they just haven't updated the list. Or maybe the other ISPs have been busy getting exclusive agreements if not already existing.
My guess is that map closely follows the density of market rate apartment units as a percentage of living space in different parts of the city.

Look at the part of KC north south of I-29/west of I-35. Four of seven complexes in the area are signed up.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So is there anyone who originally signed up in first two waves (KCK and Central KCMO) in an approved fiberhood/building that hasn't been hooked up yet?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

So is there anyone who originally signed up in first two waves (KCK and Central KCMO) in an approved fiberhood/building that hasn't been hooked up yet?
Still haven't been hooked up yet, in Southmoreland. Called Google a few days ago and they are sticking to their guns about an April installation (was told the same when I last contacted them in January). We shall see.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

someone is running more conduit up North Oak. I wouldn't be surprised if Google isn't having to add bandwidth capacity to their system in places.

though what I've seen could be a competitor...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Comcast plans to rollout 2 Gigabit to 18 million across US by end of year. Yes, 2 Gigabit, no pricing yet...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/2/833026 ... -broadband

Are they mostly South/SW part of KC metro? Independence/Lee's Summit too maybe?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Still haven't been hooked up yet, in Southmoreland. Called Google a few days ago and they are sticking to their guns about an April installation (was told the same when I last contacted them in January). We shall see.
LOL. Google just informed me via email that they are pushing the date for install back again, and hope to be in touch again around September. This in a "connected" Fiberhood after registration in August 2014.

I love the service when at my brother's place downtown, but this is getting silly.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

We're at hooked up by August
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is really surprising to see Southmoreland (and Central KCMO in general) not complete. Are you single family home or apt/condo? I could see taking longer with the latter for some buildings or hard to reach homes. A friend has a condo in Southmoreland and had GF hooked up last summer.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Are you single family home or apt/condo?
Small apartment building (12-unit collonade). I can understand the issues with hookups, just please give me an honest timeframe. It has been pushed back for several months, and will (maybe) be installed well over a year after registration in 8/14.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I just got an email as well saying that we will not be getting Fiber until September, I signed up last August. I just ended up getting 1mbps Time Warner for 14.99 a month and it has been just fine, i can watch Netflix, MLB TV through chromecast all without issues. I think changing my DNS to a public one really helps speed it up. I am using Open DNS but I might try googles and see if that makes a difference.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

So, no Pay-Per-View is available on Google Fiber - not sure I was wanting to throw $100 down on one evening of TV, but would be nice to have the option for tonight's fight.

Hopefully, they'll add that capability at some point.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

TWC 300Mbps rollout starting in parts of KCMO, Lee's Summit and Leavenworth, their metro footprint to be half complete by June and complete by fall.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 86115.html

Has Google Fiber started home connections in JoCo or Lee's Summit yet?

Any indication parts of metro that can get AT&T GigaPower? Is it available downtown?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Found out my in-laws in Shawnee have google fiber up and running already. Seems like they jumped the line, aren't there folks in the original kcmo/kck roll out still waiting?