Hospital Hill activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Hospital Hill activity

Post by SHPNeighbor »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:41 pm The closed slip-lane at 25th and Gillham could be going away for additional green space...
The Health Sciences CID is interested in working with the City to make Improvements to the intersection at 25th and Gillham. This is a permanently closed slip lane closed with temporary looking barriers. The new corner will figuratively and literally reach out to welcome the neighborhoods to the south into the District. Connected to existing green space and historic parkway features, the corner will provide pedestrian and bike friendly access to bike share stations, and several seating areas for small gatherings and activities. A large public art installation could potentially be located adjacent to the intersection to signify entry into the District. Specialty paving and decorative lighting could accent the meeting spaces, along with well-landscaped planters.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 51833cfdfc

Current conditions...
This has always seemed like an inevitability for this corner. They've had it blocked off for several years now. It would be nice if they could do some sort of redesign to the part where Pershing merges into Gillham. I see close calls daily with people not seeing the yield signs or people with the right-of-way stopping for traffic.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I've always imagined a plaza for food trucks here or a cafe booth with permanent outdoor seating. It's not perfectly situated to grab Hospital Hill employees/students but it's a very quick/easy walk from the Children's Mercy main entrance and UMKC buildings and gets tons of people driving by on Gillham + the cycle track. Open up some street parking on the overly wide 25th.

A seating area with nothing to pull people in is certainly significantly better than what's there currently but will get very little use IMO.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The Gillham/Pershing/25th cluster seems like a no-brainer for a roundabout...and while we're at it, there's no real reason for Pershing to be a divided street past McGee, either.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

swid wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:51 am The Gillham/Pershing/25th cluster seems like a no-brainer for a roundabout...and while we're at it, there's no real reason for Pershing to be a divided street past McGee, either.
So does the round anti-roundabout at Meyer and 63rd as well as the bum-uda triangle at SW TRFWY and Westport Rd.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

swid wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:51 am The Gillham/Pershing/25th cluster seems like a no-brainer for a roundabout...and while we're at it, there's no real reason for Pershing to be a divided street past McGee, either.
I have always imagined repurposing the northernmost side of Pershing into a nicely landscaped linear park with a generous sidewalk and bike path Running at least from Gillham to Grand, but ideally all the way to Broadway. The street is massively overbuilt, as is/was the Kansas City way.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Renderings for the UMKC Healthcare Innovation and Delivery building were released.
6 stories
$120 million

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

A few more images of the new Healthcare Innovation and Delivery building.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Block has won RFP for City-owned lots site A (proposed office, residential & retail) & C (proposed hotel), Riverstone Platform Partners won site B (proposed residential, retail). https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... FullText=1

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Any chance they actually build? Seems like Block sits on a lot of property, at least in the urban core.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KC development proposals are heating up again. It’s good to see. Need to get done
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 pm KC development proposals are heating up again. It’s good to see. Need to get done
Q should have been trying to pull Oracle to Kansas City instead of Nashville. A good chunk of their employees are former Cerner people but we still can't beat out Tennessee.

Apparently, this doesn't describe Kansas City: “Nashville is a fabulous place to live,” Ellison said. “It’s a great place to raise a family. It’s got a unique and vibrant culture. And as we surveyed our employees, large numbers of employees, Nashville ticked all the boxes.”

Oracle CEO says company will bring world HQ to Nashville
https://www.axios.com/local/nashville/2 ... shville-hq
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:43 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 pm KC development proposals are heating up again. It’s good to see. Need to get done
Q should have been trying to pull Oracle to Kansas City instead of Nashville. A good chunk of their employees are former Cerner people but we still can't beat out Tennessee.

Apparently, this doesn't describe Kansas City: “Nashville is a fabulous place to live,” Ellison said. “It’s a great place to raise a family. It’s got a unique and vibrant culture. And as we surveyed our employees, large numbers of employees, Nashville ticked all the boxes.”

There are very obvious tax considerations that Missouri cannot offer, that Texas and Tennessee can.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:43 pm

If the city pulled together to get many of the projects announced in the past 5-years going, KC would make a tremendous leap in that direction. Longer term need to work with County and State to solve some bigger challenges, namely transit and universities.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:03 am
UMKC Hospital Hill Project
construction is about to get going next few months
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I wonder if a stipulation in the RFP is that this project must be completed within a certain number of years. I recall 12th and Broadway’s stipulation was that it must commence after Barney Allis Plaza is rebuilt. It wouldn’t surprise me if Block and Riverstone advance their plans before next spring.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

I sunshined the RFP earlier, I'll post it when I get it. Sure it's available to some ($$) bid platforms. (No idea why City can't upload all RFPs to the open data platform for keeping, KCMO has gone quite downhill on that front.)
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

bspecht wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:05 pm I sunshined the RFP earlier, I'll post it when I get it. Sure it's available to some ($$) bid platforms. (No idea why City can't upload all RFPs to the open data platform for keeping, KCMO has gone quite downhill on that front.)
they post them for free to bonfire or plan room. Just require a free account. Only thing is they go away after the time period closes. I get access to these and pay nothing. Not aware of any I haven’t been able to access
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

langosta wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:10 pm
bspecht wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:05 pm I sunshined the RFP earlier, I'll post it when I get it. Sure it's available to some ($$) bid platforms. (No idea why City can't upload all RFPs to the open data platform for keeping, KCMO has gone quite downhill on that front.)
they post them for free to bonfire or plan room. Just require a free account. Only thing is they go away after the time period closes. I get access to these and pay nothing. Not aware of any I haven’t been able to access
Yep. Apparently, I never downloaded this one and now it's gone.

Not sure how hosting a couple more PDFs would be a pain to the City, many cities keep records of theirs, oh well.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

bspecht wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 pm Q just posted some LQ renderings.

I hate that they have that parking lot/plaza in front of the building to the left. The entire building should front Troost.