Any Asian Supermarkets here?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

I need some place where I can buy Asian food and spices. I've been here for 6 months now, and currently I go to this 1 dinky store on Santa Fe in Olathe to get the stuff I can't find at Hyvee and all the others. I've seen the one at the River Market before but I hear that 1 is expensive, so I haven't tried that one out yet. So the question is, where can I find an Asian grocery store thats like 50-75% the size of a super walmart? I would assume KC would have at least 1 somewhere in the metro, but I heard f/my cousin that there aren't any. Anybody know?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

best I know of are the couple in city market.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I can't think of any that are even 25% the size of a Wal-Mart. The one in the River Market probably is the biggest, and their prices seem reasonable, although I admit I don't have much compare it to.

There's one next to the Golden Dragon restaurant in downtown Overland Park, and from what I've heard, it's good. I think there's another Asian market in a strip mall at the southwest corner of I-35 and 95th. There might be another in the strip mall at the intersection of 95th and Nall, by the Community America and Capitol Federal banks. It's been a while since I was over there, but I vaguely recall an Asian market in that strip mall.

I'd suggest asking the staff at some of the better Chinese restaurants. With any cuisine, the chefs know the best places to shop.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I don't think there are any that are the size you mention. But there are several small ones in the Columbus Park neighborhood, especially Vietnamese. The area is just east of the City Market - take 5th Street east from the market, go under a bridge, and you will see several places. There are also some scattered around the Old Northeast neighborhood, which is basically either side of Independence Ave, east of Downtown. These two neighborhoods have a population of southeast Asian immigrants, so they are the most likely places for Asian groceries.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I don't know if you are looking for just East Asian, but there is an Indian store in Shawnee at about 67th and Quivera.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

The best one me thinks is Kim Long on 5th just past Le Fou Frog a bit on the right. It's pretty big for a neighborhood market. Looks like a ranch style house. I go there often. Only the cashiers speak English. There are about 6-8 Asian stores between the Market and Columbus Park. A friend and I cook SE Asian all the time and we really dig this place. There are a few more on the NE side along Independence Ave and St. John.

Also, Siam on W Shawnee Mission Parkway w/I-35 has great herbs but there are plenty in the City Market area too.
Last edited by ignatius on Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

UMKCgal: where are you from that has huge, wal-mart-sized Asian stores? LA? SF? whatever the case, that's fantastic and i wish kc had one! welcome to kc. hopefully we aren't too lame for you. good luck on your quest for asian spices. i give a "hear, hear" to Kim Long on 5th street.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Hmmm.. perhaps instead of downtown wishing for traditional markets, downtown residents should just simply change their diet to SE Asian. There are already enough options and it's better for you... if only they were spread about the Loop/Xroads.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Alright, there's two in Kansas City, Kansas in close proximity of each other. Jung's Oriental Grocery Store at 9th & Minnesota and the Oriental Food Store at 8th & Minnesota. There's also an Asian Supermarket at 95th & Nall. Businesses come and go so quickly, so I won't guarantee anything...but they were all three still open one year ago.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

Whoa, theres like soo many you guyz mentioned. Thanks for your help. I guess instead of having a few walmart sized ones there seems to be like a bunch of smaller ones scattered all over the metro. i'm surprised there arent any that are big like i mentioned. Chrizow, I'm from a small town south of Wichita. Wichita has like 3 major Far East asian stores and a couple other small neighborhood ones and the biggest one is like half the size of a super walmart; so that's what I'm used to seeing. i know for a fact all 3 of the major ones are more than double the size of the one I go to in Olathe.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

TWO WORDS.................................

PANDA EXPRESS!

ching chong ching
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

UMKCgal wrote:i know for a fact all 3 of the major ones are more than double the size of the one I go to in Olathe.
If you want an Asian Supermarket in JOCO, go to the 888 Supermarket on 87th Street, Asian Super Market on 95th & Nall, KC Mabuhay Oriental Market on 78th & Quivira, or the Oriental Supermarket on 103rd & Metcalf...all in Overland Park.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.