Company bought part of brookside

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Company bought part of brookside

Post by flyingember »

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/24/49 ... o-buy.html

130,000 square feet sold to a new company.

Not even on the market.
smh
Supporter

Re: Company bought part of brookside

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/24/49 ... o-buy.html

130,000 square feet sold to a new company.

Not even on the market.
Any thoughts on the motivation?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Buy low, sell high.

They say they focus in densely populated areas. Or in this case, maybe they see the value jumping quickly enough to get a return, that today is the right time to buy, that the value will only go up in their experience and thus the price.

Not certain where the streetcar comes in. Maybe they see a general increase in value to that part of town over time. But the timing is too convenient for it to not have played a part.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Wonder if they bought, thinking that there was going to be a streetcar line in Brookside.

The reaction so far seems to be to compare this to Highwoods' ownership of the CCP.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chaglang wrote:Wonder if they bought, thinking that there was going to be a streetcar line in Brookside.

The reaction so far seems to be to compare this to Highwoods' ownership of the CCP.
Brookside village is primed for some additional density in the future. I wouldn't want to be the one to fight the NIMBYs right now, but if I had enough money to buy a successful shopping area and hold onto it for a while....
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looking at properties they own, most tenants are mall-type chain stores. Not a good sign for Bside's locatarian purism future.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

earthling wrote:Looking at properties they own, most tenants are mall-type chain stores. Not a good sign for Bside's locatarian purism future.
exactly. i dont see how this will be anything but the death of brookside as we know it. no way an out of town suburban real estate holding company buys half of brookside to collect Reading Reptile rents.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chrizow wrote:
earthling wrote:Looking at properties they own, most tenants are mall-type chain stores. Not a good sign for Bside's locatarian purism future.
exactly. i dont see how this will be anything but the death of brookside as we know it. no way an out of town suburban real estate holding company buys half of brookside to collect Reading Reptile rents.
Good thing errbody in the BKS was busy stopping that TOY TRAIN BOODOGGLE this month!!!!!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote:
I predict Brookside (shops) is on its way to becoming more like downtown Evanston: Image
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:
chrizow wrote:
I predict Brookside (shops) is on its way to becoming more like downtown Evanston: Image

We should be so lucky. Bring it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote: We should be so lucky. Bring it.
Agreed! But imagine the Trolley Trail people's opposition to this one! I like to imagine the contract was contingent on the streetcar plan being approved.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I would imagine it would be more than the "Trolley Trail" people.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The only place that could go is on the Border Star lot. Since the neighbors are stopping the Bryant repurposing, it would be great to see the montessori moved there and Border Star reused as housing.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i really cannot see tearing down the BKS shops to add new multi-story structures. if the nimby's cannot fathom a whole foods at 51st and BKS, how will they cope with adding hundreds of residents in that small area?

i suspect we're just going to see chian retail/restos going into the BKS shops spaces. goodbye, STUFF, hello Noodles & Co.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote:i really cannot see tearing down the BKS shops to add new multi-story structures. if the nimby's cannot fathom a whole foods at 51st and BKS, how will they cope with adding hundreds of residents in that small area?

i suspect we're just going to see chian retail/restos going into the BKS shops spaces. goodbye, STUFF, hello Noodles & Co.
I don't disagree with this, but I think and outsider would see that Cosentino's Market building and think Cosentino's would work better as the ground-floor tenant in a shiny new apartment building.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Yea no doubt Brooksiders would shit a brick over a proposal like that. They seem to think their community is perfect as is. Me personally though, I would love to tear down the shops and build some mixed-use buildings like that. Does anyone else not find anything really special about the Brookside shops (architecturally)? I would have no problem with them being torn down for those buildings in Evanston. Now the real shame would be some lame chains taking over the local businesses.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

There are better buidings to be replaced than the Brookside shops. The south side of 63rd would be a better place for this.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

There are, like, a lot of surface lots around the Brookside shops that could be built on before anyone talks about tearing anything down.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:There are, like, a lot of surface lots around the Brookside shops that could be built on before anyone talks about tearing anything down.
Brooksiders already think there is no parking in this shopping center. You'd need a parking garage before building on any current surface parking (or...i don't know, mass transit?). But I get your point and agree.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Yeah, no way in hell the Brookside shops would be allowed to be demolished/rezoned. I can't see anything like that being built in the center of Brookside.

I do think that the Brookside area could definitely use more apartments. I would like to see some mixed use development going in further east on 63rd. That empty lot on 63rd and Oak could have been a good spot, but it looks like it is just a SFH being built there.