Bock's move to downtown and its affect on midtown

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

There was an interesting article (Hearn Christopher) on some folks concern about midtown, when H&R Block moves downtown. I personally don't think it will be a negative at all. That close to the Plaza, their current headquarters will be snatched up in a heartbeat. I do agree somewhat, with the assertion that it would have been better if the new downtown tenant was a new company to the metro area. Would have been nice, but now we have Block's current headquarters to use as a lure to bring in a nice big company!

I also was struck by the fact that the Broadway and Main corridors are leased at more than 90%. I had not really thought about it that much, but when I read that, I thought: "Damn, he's right!" That's a great statistic. The city needs to seriously think about some significant streetscape enhancements along these two steets to emphasize that fact that there is so much going on along these major urban core streets. Between downtown and Brush Creek, there really is a great deal of activity going on. If we could get folks out of their cars along these routes, it would be a completely different atmosphere.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I agree it's not the best news for Midtown, but it's great news for Downtown - so that's good news for the entire metro area. Now that we have a major win for Downtown the city and the EDC need to really work on bringing in out of town companies, as well as bringing back some companies that fled to Kansas.

As for Midtown, there is a new master plan for Main Street that includes stuff like streetscape and facade improvements - http://www.maincor.org . Plus, when the rapid bus line gets going that will also be a big boost for the area. Now if we could just get the city to maintain the existing streetscape improvments on Broadway...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

perfect chance for the EDC to go get a company from outside the metro.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I think it's a non-issue... Block is spread around all parts of midtown. American Century will easily absorb the main HQ space, which is not a very big building. Even if AC doesn't, someone will soon because the Plaza is HOT. And Black & Veatch will be moving in the Plaza before Block leaves, so that is a balanced tradeoff. There is just a shuffle happening.

Midtown is in MUCH better shape than Downtown. This is a very big deal for downtown and midtown will easily absorb the relatively small loss.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

ignatius is right on the money--AM Century needs the space (remember their proposed "campus"??ha!). as far as the edc goes, dont count on it. have heard that the State of MO has no money in its coffers for economic development (sourced from KS spies). you know how i like to start rumours.
"ALWAYS be closing"
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Did you say that Black and Veatch is moving to the plaza? Are you talking about their world headquarters from Joco, or just getting some more space?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Bocks, and in particular maibocks, are one of my favorite beer styles, but I just love winter warmer beers.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

tat2kc wrote:Did you say that Black and Veatch is moving to the plaza? Are you talking about their world headquarters from Joco, or just getting some more space?
Oops, I meant Blackwell Sanders... going into the new Library building. That is a shuffle from Crown Center, Shook Hardy is shuffling from the Loop to CC. It all evens out. Somehow nothing is ultimately lost but a new district is gained.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

I really hope the building is snatched up as one person put it, but there are several vacant locations around and even on the Plaza now. Look at Two Cleaver II Blvd. It has been empty for a long time. Maybe American Century can take it over since it is next door, but I would love to see that grassy spot just north of the Marriott filled in with a tower, and if not, a nice landscaped park. It is so boring and just does not fit in.