Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Post by chaglang »

Demosthenes wrote::( I'm going to miss the Velvet Dog. Many good times had there, even though it was a little "fratty."
In the mid 90's there was no better bar in KC, especially in the summer. It was kind of grim at the end.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

chaglang wrote:
Demosthenes wrote::( I'm going to miss the Velvet Dog. Many good times had there, even though it was a little "fratty."
In the mid 90's there was no better bar in KC, especially in the summer. It was kind of grim at the end.
Man, wish I had been around for that. I can imagine that place being way, way cooler, even though it was still not bad at the end.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Barrel 31 Renovating Space In Union Hill; Anticipates Spring Opening
New casual restaurant will feature 60 – 80 bourbons and whiskeys from around the globe with a menu including refined comfort cuisine and premium small plates

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Jan. 30, 2014) – Barrel 31, a new restaurant that will feature creative cuisine and cocktails and a diverse selection of bourbons and whiskeys from around the world, is currently renovating a space in Union Hill at 400 East 31st Street. As Union Hill undergoes a significant development of supplementary residential elements, the 22-city block district in the heart of Kansas City also has plans for fresh retail and restaurants, starting with the opening of Barrel 31 in the spring.

Barrel 31 is locally owned by Kansas City resident Chris Ridler.
from municipal art commission agenda:
Seeking approval of a blade sign for Barrel 31 at 400 E 31st St. Karen Taylor of Midtown Signs presenting.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Barrel 31 Renovating Space In Union Hill; Anticipates Spring Opening
New casual restaurant will feature 60 – 80 bourbons and whiskeys from around the globe with a menu including refined comfort cuisine and premium small plates.
Sounds great. It's as if they're changing the demographic of the bar to appeal to people who hung out at the VD in the 90's. The bar is aging with me.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I think it also might be sign that the city is keeping people that used to bolt once they reached 30. There's more options for schools, it feels safer and now now we have more options for great whiskeys/bourbons. The city is looking up.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

Looks like the Velvet Dog's successor is about ready to open on the 24th. The below went out via the Union Hill neighborhood association distro:

Barrel 31 is a chic-casual, urban restaurant specializing in bourbons and whiskeys from around the world opening in Kansas City’s Union Hill neighborhood. You and up to three friends are invited to join us on Friday, March 21 for a complimentary sneak peek dinner* as the Barrel 31 management and staff prepares for its public opening on Monday, March 24.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Barrel31 has pushed their opening - looks like it will now be the 31st.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCLofts wrote:Barrel31 has pushed their opening - looks like it will now be the 31st.
good stuff so far. impressive menu (heavy, but nicely executed) and great staff. can't wait for the outside space to open.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

DaveKCMO wrote:good stuff so far. impressive menu (heavy, but nicely executed) and great staff. can't wait for the outside space to open.
The patio was open Saturday night and it was quite nice. Velvet Dog, and especially the patio, was a regular hangout when I lived in Union Hill "back in the day." Being out on that patio brought back a lot of good memories.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Was at another spot last week not realizing it was open til after we ate. Stepped in to take a look and they did a nice job, especially patio area/bar. Agree that the menu looks heavy, but higher grade. Large single malt whiskey selection.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

stopped in here with a friend just for drinks (although he had a burger and fries that looked really good). the space looks nice and more than a little bit like Anton's. the whiskey and spirits list is indeed enticing, although i was there on a sunday afternoon and opted instead to go for their $2 "brown bag mystery beers" which i find way more entertaining than it really should be.

some obvious opening jitters - my friend received a filthy napkin, 90% of the menu was not available - but overall i think this is a great refresh of the space and will be a solid neighborhood spot.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A truck plowed into the Velvet Freeze Building on the NE corner of 31st and Gillham. The front of the building was significantly damaged.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/minor-injuries ... t/30406050
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

These buildings sure are dangerous for all our safe vehicles out there. Clearly we need to start setting our buildings back further from the street so we can continue to drive with disregard.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

It didn't look too damaged when I went by yesterday.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Most damage was on the steel frame supporting a phantom canopy. Wish someone would put a restaurant in this building. There has not been a place to eat on this stretch of 31st since the Majestic closed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Haus is right across the street. That is a good building, but they are asking $1.5M and it's not in great shape.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

One would think with the nightclubs down the street, the nearby hospitals and Hallmark, and all the new apartments on Union Hill, that a nice diner--that stayed open pretty late--would do okay in that building.

There really aren't that many old fashioned diners--that serve a variety of menu options--in the Greater Downtown area, or in central Kansas City anyway. One is really at a loss to think of any. Town Topic, Denny's, Chubby's and Winstead's is about it. In New York City, there are diners like this every few blocks. I know we are not NYC, but you would think we could support one or two of these types of late-night restaurants in Greater Downtown, and Midtown. Winstead's only stays open to 1 a.m., and I think we need a diner to stay open to 5 a.m or later on weekends to attract the after-bar crowds. A 24-hour place would be ideal. Chubby's and Winstead's are really too far from downtown to serve late night crowds. Town Topic can't accommodate many diners, or late night crowds.

It's too bad that the El Torreon Ballroom across the street still isn't a live music venue, because that would also help a diner at night in that location.

And what is it with buildings being damaged by vehicles lately? We've had this one, the one on Independence Avenue and Benton (same day), and the building on 18th and Oak in the Crossroads.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

What the hell!?! Is this some kind of conspiracy or something? Some hater of great urban buildings for sale is setting up kamikaze vehicle attacks. Which building is next??
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

And what is it with buildings being damaged by vehicles lately? We've had this one, the one on Independence Avenue and Benton (same day), and the building on 18th and Oak in the Crossroads.
Agreed, this is getting ridiculous. Could become a KC urban nerd meme.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.