Plaza restaurants not carding?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

last saturday night, the 3rd, me and a couple of friends i hadn't seen in a while from Jewell wanted to go to the canyon cafe and just sit and talk. we told the host that we just wanted to sit and talk with some waters by the streetside so he said we could sit in the bar upstairs by the window. the first thing our waitress asked us is if we wanted to have grand canyon margaritas. i love margaritas so i couldn't resist and i had 2. me nor my friends either one are 21, im 19 and my other 2 friends are 20. we thought that was pretty cool that we didn't get carded so we thought just maybe we could get away with it somewhere else. so we walked down the street to houston's and ordered cosmopolitans and kahlua's and we didn't get carded again. i thought as a general rule waiters and waitresses were supposed to card if the customer looked under 30. i thought it was VERY odd that neither one location carded us...anyone else have any other experiences?
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

im under 21 and rarely carded in any sort of restaurant. This is not unique to the plaza, believe me. They make so much money off drinks.

kcteen
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

go into a pure bar like Falloon and they will card you (still me and I'm 27) but restaurants outside of where "underage" usually hang out, I could see them just looking the other way.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

yeah i didn't think i could just walk into mccoy's and get a bloody mary or anything, but i figure that i won't get carded if i go to kona grill and get drinks...maybe. i think most suburban bar and grills wouldn't card either though.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Re: Plaza restaurants not carding?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

kcmajik wrote:last saturday night, the 3rd, me and a couple of friends i hadn't seen in a while from Jewell wanted to go to the canyon cafe and just sit and talk. we told the host that we just wanted to sit and talk with some waters by the streetside so he said we could sit in the bar upstairs by the window. the first thing our waitress asked us is if we wanted to have grand canyon margaritas. i love margaritas so i couldn't resist and i had 2. me nor my friends either one are 21, im 19 and my other 2 friends are 20. we thought that was pretty cool that we didn't get carded so we thought just maybe we could get away with it somewhere else. so we walked down the street to houston's and ordered cosmopolitans and kahlua's and we didn't get carded again. i thought as a general rule waiters and waitresses were supposed to card if the customer looked under 30. i thought it was VERY odd that neither one location carded us...anyone else have any other experiences?
You need to hush up, kcmajik! :-$ You're goin' to ruin KC's best kept secret for underage drinkin' establishments! Next thing you know the city will shake'm down like they did in the Crossroads. You don't want that do you? I need some place to take my future foreign exchange student out to get drunk with his host dad!

When I was 18 (in 1992-93), I use to go to the Plaza to drink with my friends at the various piano bars, jazz clubs and cafes. It was quite a change from sippin' 40s on the front porch in KCK. It all depends on how you dress. If you look like a scrub, they'll card you...but if you dress mature or nice, they won't even ask.

They still card me in Westport and the Burbs, and I'm 29.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

so you dress like a scrub? :P

I agree, it's all about how you dress. Pure bar, different story, everybody gets carded.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC wrote:so you dress like a scrub? :P
Nah, they jus' card anyone who looks under 30 everywhere else I've been in the metro.

I have been lookin' a lil' scrubbish lately though. Need to ditch the Wrangler overalls, Stone Cold t-shirt, and Jeff Gordon ball cap. (yeah right)

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I know, I was messing with you.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC wrote:I know, I was messing with you.
I knew that... :wink:

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

i knew you knew that

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:i knew you knew that
i knew what you both knew you meant

p.s. QueSi....get a woman and go shopping for some new duds...what an embarrassment :lol:
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I was only carded once (out of 3 times) when buying beers at the Sports Show. It's pretty sad when the city doesn't even follow the law.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

how is it sad?

that money is going to help businesses and thus the KCMO economy.

the law is bullcrap anyways. plus, when a restaurant or even the sports show doesnt card you, its not like its the city's fault. its the catering/restuarnt's.

kcteen
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It is the law to not serve minors. I don't agree with it. It is sad because we have laws that the city of KC is not even complying with.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

StL_Dan wrote:p.s. QueSi....get a woman and go shopping for some new duds...what an embarrassment :lol:
Wife bought some new outfits today...I used my money on CDs and DVDs.

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I'm 25, and I never get carded here(in KC), but if I go _anywhere_ else, I get carded at every place I go. Interesting, no?

Oh, and one thing about underaged people getting served, waiters and waitresses know that if they serve someone who's underage, their tip will be hefty.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

come on now! Who really gets mad when they dont get carded, this isnt the Baptist forum, although i am sure it is non-discrimatory. We all know you have to be 21 to drink legally, but it is pretty much an unspoken rule that if you play it cool theres no need to be carded. My father and family have been in the restaurant business their whole lives, i myself have worked in restaurants since i could walk. And i will tell you one thing, while it is against the law, i have enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner since i was 16. Now i am not trying to change a law or advocate underage drinking, but there are so many larger problems to be worried about than restaurants/sports events carding! What happened in the crossroads was ridiculous, lets not see it happen anywhere else in KC.

In addition, this isnt a KC phenomenon. My previous rule applies to any upscale restuarant or really most restaurants in general. In the past six months i havent been carded in KC, San Fran, Denver, and New York. So even if this is a problem for some people, its not just KC, its a national "problem" and you better go to DC to start lobbying!!
GO ROOs!!!!!
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

UMKCroo wrote:come on now! Who really gets mad when they dont get carded, this isnt the Baptist forum, although i am sure it is non-discrimatory. We all know you have to be 21 to drink legally, but it is pretty much an unspoken rule that if you play it cool theres no need to be carded. My father and family have been in the restaurant business their whole lives, i myself have worked in restaurants since i could walk. And i will tell you one thing, while it is against the law, i have enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner since i was 16. Now i am not trying to change a law or advocate underage drinking, but there are so many larger problems to be worried about than restaurants/sports events carding! What happened in the crossroads was ridiculous, lets not see it happen anywhere else in KC.

In addition, this isnt a KC phenomenon. My previous rule applies to any upscale restuarant or really most restaurants in general. In the past six months i havent been carded in KC, San Fran, Denver, and New York. So even if this is a problem for some people, its not just KC, its a national "problem" and you better go to DC to start lobbying!!
I don't think it's the age, it's the responsibility of the person. I know people who are 18-years-old and very responsible drinkers. I also know people who are 28-years-old and have absolutely no businesses drinking because they're irresponsible adults. Unfortunately, there's no real way to measure responsibility. I say that if you're old enough to vote, you're old enough to drink alchohol.

The main problem this country faces is a weak transportation system. Most Americans need a car to survive...that's why the driving age is 15-years-old. In most of Europe it's 16 to drink, 18 to drive. People can handle their drinkin' before they even learn to drive.

Here's an idea... If you live near a major bus line or any other kind of public transit system, AND you own a bus or rail transit pass, you get a special hologram on your license that allows you to drink at age 18. Or, maybe something like, um, you have a choice...drink at 18, OR own a driver's license? Seriously though, this conservative country will NEVER lower the drinking age OR allow the legal use of marijuana for recreational purposes.

Something is wrong with our backwards thinking in this nation. We can watch violence on television, but nudity is forbidden. Result: We live in a violent nation AND rapes, sexual assaults, child molestations, high divorce rates and AIDS are extremely high. Ok, now Western Europe's thinking. They only show glorified violence AFTER HOURS on television, and nudity is common on prime time television and in public. Result: Murder rates are low AND rapes, sexual assaults, child molestation, low divorce rates and AIDS are much lower than in the United States. There's also other factors (like parenting), but basically we have a desensitization to violence and they have a desensitization to XXX. I'd much rather have my future child seein' some nude woman on television INSTEAD of seein' some guy get his brains blown out on TV or a video game.

UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

Couldnt have said it better QueSi20pie. Responsilbility is the key issue here.

I happen to be a dual citizen of Austria and have lived there a couple of summers, and been there every year since i was a young child. People there cant believe the drinking age is 21, and you can drive when you are 15. It is a compleete anomoly to them, not to mention hilarious! I must say i have to agree with them. I have often thought about possible solutions, but i must say i loved yours
[/quote]Here's an idea... If you live near a major bus line or any other kind of public transit system, AND you own a bus or rail transit pass, you get a special hologram on your license that allows you to drink at age 18. Or, maybe something like, um, you have a choice...drink at 18, OR own a driver's license? Seriously though, this conservative country will NEVER lower the drinking age OR allow the legal use of marijuana for recreational purposes.

Great idea, too bad as you say it will never happen.

One more thing, i have been wondering what, if any, meaning does your name have, QueSi20pie. Its been driving me crazy. Kind of like when you cant figure out a liscense plate.
GO ROOs!!!!!
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

UMKCroo wrote:One more thing, i have been wondering what, if any, meaning does your name have, QueSi2Opie. Its been driving me crazy. Kind of like when you cant figure out a liscense plate.
QueSi or KC, 2 or To, Opie or OP (Kansas City to Overland Park).